a book

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

swymir

Postby swymir » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:29 am

Some html is all that is needed for a book. My question is can you put image maps in notes? That would make some of these maps a whole lot better.
"My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone."
WojD

Postby WojD » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:53 pm

nitefyre wrote:And for the books already in game (e.g. Hobbes Encyclopedia)?

This isn't true book - only very big note...

swymir wrote:My question is can you put image maps in notes? That would make some of these maps a whole lot better.

pictures@cantr.net <- send your image and you get code to place in note
==============
Sho

Postby Sho » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:31 pm

That's not an image map. What Swymir means is a way to make parts of an image function as links, which could be used on a map to link to corresponding sections of the note.

Swymir, why not just go ahead and try putting an image map in a note? As far as I know (I have next to no HTML knowledge), there's nothing stopping you from trying.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:06 am

I had accidently started a new thread about this, so here's what I think.

For a new and realalistic method of note management, allow the creation of books as a project. There could be diffrent styles of books too, ranging from simple hide bound with sinew to pressed gold with a silk binding. Also, this makes real-ish libraries a more desirable thing, lets people have nearly uncopyable notes for religious ingame reasons (an original holy book), and even keep a journal with flipable pages.
Books would be made of pieces (cover and binding) that are attachable in any combination, allowing you to use what's available to you to make the correct book. The resulting book should be shown as being made of it's pieces. They should be named. And they should be assembled seperately of the pages that make them, and are then filled by operating a binding project on it that puts a new page (note) into it.
Books should have a "permanant binding" option, similar to the uneditable option of notes that prevents books from being rebound (adding pages), but does not affect the editability of the individual pages.
UloDeTero

Postby UloDeTero » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Nakranoth wrote:The resulting book should be shown as being made of it's pieces
You mean like A leather-bound book (The Hitch-hiker's Guide to Cantr) ?
Nakranoth wrote:[Separate covers should be] filled by operating a binding project on it that puts a new page (note) into it.
Binding project, yes, but one page at a time? I think you should be able to choose (by check-boxes) which notes you want to include, and in what order. Then they should be automatically combined (end to end) and re-separated into pages. Images should have a maximum size, with the text wrapping around it.

Alternatively, you could perhaps submit Word files, or something similar, to The Staff (the same way as pictures are done), and they could convert it to a Cantr book and place it into the Cantr world as the result of your project.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:03 pm

UloDeTero wrote:
Nakranoth wrote:The resulting book should be shown as being made of it's pieces
You mean like A leather-bound book (The Hitch-hiker's Guide to Cantr) ?

Yes. If you used one material as both the cover and binding it would show up as something like a leather book, but if you used seperate materials you would end up with something like a wooden hemp-bound book.

UloDeTero wrote:Binding project, yes, but one page at a time? I think you should be able to choose (by check-boxes) which notes you want to include, and in what order. Then they should be automatically combined (end to end) and re-separated into pages. Images should have a maximum size, with the text wrapping around it.

I agree with the multi note selection, but the notes shouldn't be auto formated, as it wouldn't know where to format it without possibly chopping HTML or images. Also, by not auto formating it, you can go back into the book and write new things in if the notes are still editable (have the edit note symbol under every page). This allows chars to keep semi real journals.

Alternatively, you could perhaps submit Word files, or something similar, to The Staff (the same way as pictures are done), and they could convert it to a Cantr book and place it into the Cantr world as the result of your project.

That would be quite a surge of extra stuff for the staff to need to handle, pictures aren't such an common thing, but I can think of at least three of my chars alone that would want to make books.
UloDeTero

Postby UloDeTero » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Nakranoth wrote:the notes shouldn't be auto formated, as it wouldn't know where to format it
Well, if the 'auto-formatting program' was set to only put a page-break after a <BR> or a closing tag, or after a 'carriage return' (or whatever it's called) or in an empty line, that should solve the probem... That way, 'chunks' of stuff like pictures, tables, or whatever would be kept to one page or the other.

However, I think the best thing would be, not to have set page-breaks, but to have it like a webpage, where the text 'flows' around the pictures and re-organises itself if the window is re-sized.
(That's not to say that I think books should be resizable! Just that having 'flexible' text like this would make it easier to edit, and avoid having to copy&paste between notes)

My thinking is that it should become like one big note, with greater capacity, 'flexibly' separated into pages and editable (unless made otherwise). I'm not sure about the 'contents menu with links' idea. It's unrealistic, for a start, and I'd imagine that most books would be quite small. How about some kind of scroll-bar at the bottom, so you could 'flip' back and forth?

By the way, a hemp-bound book would be a book with a hemp cover. I think the material used to sew the pages together would be irrelevant (unless it perhaps affects durability, but that wouldn't be visible). Usually no-one sees the binding, anyway, when the cover is on.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:02 pm

Alright, that would work, but I think seperate notes that get added should always force a page break. Like this it helps not onle making notes able to appear more important, but also help organize and still be readily viewable seperate related notes... you could like this have a Hobbes Compilation of several diffrent versions of the encyclopedia all readily acessable.
UloDeTero

Postby UloDeTero » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:53 pm

I think seperate notes that get added should always force a page break

But still be editable! I like it!

:mrgreen:
sem

Postby sem » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 pm

UloDeTero wrote:
Nakranoth wrote:the notes shouldn't be auto formated, as it wouldn't know where to format it
Well, if the 'auto-formatting program' was set to only put a page-break after a <BR> or a closing tag, or after a 'carriage return' (or whatever it's called) or in an empty line, that should solve the probem... That way, 'chunks' of stuff like pictures, tables, or whatever would be kept to one page or the other.

Not just a closing tag, but a matched top-level closing tag. otherwise it would still make a mess of HTML. Simplified example:

Code: Select all

<table>
<tr>
<td>
hello
</td>
insert page break here (it's a closing tag after all)
<td>
world!
</td>
</tr>
</table>
UloDeTero

Postby UloDeTero » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 am

sem wrote:Not just a closing tag, but a matched top-level closing tag. otherwise it would still make a mess of HTML.

Yes, of course! I missed that! Thanks! :wink:
But I think flexible text would be better. If it's possible, of course.
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:48 pm

Bump.

How close are we to this? I've just finished a Cantr novel... in envelope form... and it really kills me that my Foreword shows up after my Chapter I.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
DudeIRok

Postby DudeIRok » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:41 pm

Yeah my chars journal is getting really long and I would love for this to be implmented. Inserting other notes into the book is my main issue. I have been given uneditable notes and the only way to put them into the journal is to copy and save the pics and what not. I just want to slide it into the book. Like a feather or leaf to press and keep. Artwork someone has given the char or a poem. Just stuff I cant edit but want to keep out of an envelope but keep together.
Just because I'm not paying attention doesnt mean you can yell at me.

It means you should talk quieter.
Seriously shut up, I'm playing here.
Kreed

Postby Kreed » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:11 pm

Any news, how far down the list of things to do?
Yuk yuk yuk.
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:19 am

probably very...
Person: Akamada doesnt control the animals.
You see a wild boar attack Person.
Person: I still dont believe you.

<Spill> Oh, I enjoy every sperm to the fullest.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”