Stone Axe

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

mortaine

Stone Axe

Postby mortaine » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm

It's a tool so basic, it was used before humans were homo sapiens. It is the quintessential tool of the neolithic era. It was a shaft-less axe, consisting of only a sharp-edged rock, and was used for ten thousand years as the first original all-purpose tool: the stone axe.

Manufacturing:
50 g of stone (if that)
1 day

Uses:
Same as bone knife, can be used for carving and as a hand-held blade, not as efficient perhaps as a steel knife, but efficient enough.

Repair rate:
Repairing a stone axe is like repairing a stone arrowhead; it doesn't take long to chip a new edge into a rock.

Even though I would personally enjoy a type of axe that doesn't require iron (perhaps a stone hatchet in the future, made of a shaft or stick and a stone axe), this fashionable shaft-less axe is more of a carving and chipping tool, suitable for better food collection, carving bone and other materials, scraping, and fighting primitive battles. However, if you are a poor slub spawning in a mountainous area where you have no wood nearby but plenty of stone, your chances of survival dramatically increase if you can fashion even ONE tool without having to kill (usually unsuccessfully) a wild animal with your bare hands for its bones.
--
mortaine.
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:14 pm

I would prefer a flint axe... you can't just use any stone for an axe. Believe me... it ain't like a hammer.

Any chnace we can get flint added? It would be on a level with bone tools... easy to make (say 2 turns) but decays very quickly (a few days).
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:38 pm

I could see flint breaking with use but not really decaying. I can dig around in my backyard and find arrowheads that are who knows how old and still in decent shape. (not sharp or anything, but that's where repairs come in.)
Antichrist_Online

Postby Antichrist_Online » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:43 pm

I suggested a hafted stone axe shortly after deteriation was added but nothing more was said. The whole point of deteriation was to balance the addition of simple tools. They are cheap but only last a few days, its better to replace them than repair.
Mistress's Puppy
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:52 pm

Lumin wrote:I could see flint breaking with use but not really decaying. I can dig around in my backyard and find arrowheads that are who knows how old and still in decent shape. (not sharp or anything, but that's where repairs come in.)
Are they any use as arrow heads now? No... That's what deterioration is about. The item no longer does what it was supposed to. Deterioration doesn;t necessarily mean the item falls apart... Dulling the edge could be the result.

I would like to see flint as a variant on stone. It'd be a load more useful to most people than bauxite or cobalt (I know both have uses... but I think you get my point).
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
west

Postby west » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:52 pm

The Surly Cantrian wrote:
Lumin wrote:I could see flint breaking with use but not really decaying. I can dig around in my backyard and find arrowheads that are who knows how old and still in decent shape. (not sharp or anything, but that's where repairs come in.)
Are they any use as arrow heads now? No... That's what deterioration is about. The item no longer does what it was supposed to. Deterioration doesn;t necessarily mean the item falls apart... Dulling the edge could be the result.

But you're wrong. In cantr, deterioration means EXACTLY that the item falls apart eventually. It doesn't get any less efficient at doing what it's doing; it behaves perfectly well until it crumbles into dust.

I would RATHER see deterioration effect the affect (hee hee) of a tool rather than its ability to eventually disappear, but that's just not how the system works now.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
mortaine

Postby mortaine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:29 pm

I would RATHER see deterioration effect the affect (hee hee) of a tool

You mean affect the effect.... but yeah. Sure.

My proposal didn't require new resources (flint) to be added or an overhaul of the repairs system. It was just a way to introduce the most absolute basic of tools to the game.

Tomahawk/hafted stone axe is also a good one, but for different purposes.
--

mortaine.
Surly

Postby Surly » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:17 pm

Well... I'll surprise you all and say:

Detioration is poorly thought out, error-ridden and has been implemented without enough thought.

Bet you're surprised to hear me say that...

Anyway, I suppose stone but be okay instead of flint. Everyone seems to object to more resources even though it is more realistic, would stimulate trade and would allow more uniqueness in Cantr.

Let's just stick to implementations that make the game more of a chore shall we? Eventually you'll sap all the fun out, and I'll quit. Then you can implement all the poorly planned changes you want without my criticism... :roll:
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:12 pm

As long as new resources will only be put on new lands that my characters will likely never see, than no, I'm not that crazy about the idea. If the stone axe was added it would be a simple tool made out of a common material...but if flint is added it suddenly becomes a simple tool made out of a rare material, and not really worth making.
Pie

Postby Pie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:31 pm

Well, you could just use a sharpening rock to make it. Don't we alredy have those?
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
mortaine

Postby mortaine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:35 pm

A sharpening block would be for sharpening a steel weapon or tool, not for chipping an edge into a piece of rock.

A stone axe should be one of the absolute most basic simple tools available. If you needed a sharpening block to create it, you would need a lot of stone, a mallet, and a *chisel* to create just the sharpening block.

I repeat: A stone axe was created and made by people who weren't even homo sapiens yet. No mallet. No chisel. Just a rock that you chip an edge into, usually with another rock.
--

mortaine.
Surly

Postby Surly » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 pm

That sounds like Cantr logic... requiring complex tools to make a simple one... :lol:

Not so bad since they changed the carving knife though... anyway, I'm not sure we need a stone axe. In fact, I'm sure we don't. It's simple... ***g per day without a tool, ***g per day with an axe. Having a stone axe would complicate things. Unless it only gathered ***g per day... but then its almost pointless.

Ah... so there is a use. Okay...

NOTE: See how censoring has reduced this post to a meaningless rant? *sighs* Typical.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 pm

At the very least it could be a weapon, about on par with a bone knife. Come on, it's a rock. Rocks are dangerous, even when they're not pointy.
mortaine

Postby mortaine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:58 pm

Surly, the point was actually not for it to act like a Cantrian axe, but more like a knife. Since it doesn't have a haft, it wouldn't make sense for it to help collect something like, say, wood, but it would help as a basic weapon/tool, similar to a bone knife, except you wouldn't have to pummel a bunny rabbit to get one as an unlucky newspawn.

With the new wiki, you no longer have to censor in that manner.
--

mortaine.
PRUT

Postby PRUT » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:49 pm

Stone axe is a good idea. It's should be basic tool/weapon for stone/bone era (similar to sledgehammer) because steel is hard to produce.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”