Dynamic naming of vehicles and buildings

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Solfius

Dynamic naming of vehicles and buildings

Postby Solfius » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:23 pm

as I'm sure you have noticed, we don't instantly know what to call vehicles and buildings in RL, we have to be told. It has been suggested before about dynamically naming buildings, which has sparked off discussion about engraving name plaques.

I don't think engraving name plaques is necessary, and furthermore, I think having to engrave name plates would be a bad idea because it would limit a fundamental aspect of the game, such as being able to create notes (imagine what it would be like if you had to create paper, ink, and pens to write notes).

What occured to me was we needed a simpler system which was sympathetic to the fact that in the game we can't tell the difference between buildings because we can't see them or where they are.

So, I suggest we have a nice and easy system where there is a note attached to each building, which like a normal note can store a title (or building name) and body text (perhaps a description of the function/owner/building/whatever you want really). People can read the note to see what the building is. By having that dynamic named buildings would be possible. The "namenote" should be editble, but take a day to edit; to stop mass building vandalism.

umm, yea, I'm tired now so I probably missed something, but I want to go to bed...
----
Comments/improvements welcome!
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:33 pm

i like it. business could display trading lists and price list right on their door.
tombs could have a list of who is in them.people can have signs saying stop knocking ya buggers.

plus the fact that it's a project will slow down the vandals as you said.but i think any project should be like the resting nes and ca be cancelled at anytime.cause if someone did start a name change projet then ran you'd have to finish that project before you start one of your own
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:29 am

I don't like the improvement to the old suggestion.
I do support the classic suggestion to create dynamic building names, however. But I believe signs should take resources to build.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:46 pm

I was compromising to get the PrD to do something about by making it easier to implement ;)

But I do think that naming things should be universal, or maybe I could be swayed...
g1asswa1ker

names ad things

Postby g1asswa1ker » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:20 am

I think it shouldn't be a note or a sign it should work the same way as people names...simple to the point no vandales no resources as it is we don't need to make paper or ink...so lets leave it simple and just make it the same way you name people...
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:21 pm

any step forward, no matter how small, is still a step forward. I would like it like that also actually, just simple straightforward as character names.

Same for just about every other object too
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:57 pm

every person giving every building different names would make for a heck of a lot of confusion
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:05 pm

More so than every person giving every other person a different name, which would be equivalent? :roll:
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:32 pm

But you can still separate people by the clothes they're wearing, the equipment they're carrying and how old they are, while all buildings look alike. If we could paint buildings, if they would age (though slowly), could have decorations and so on, we could describe them to people, rather than knocking on the door or going in to point out which building you mean.
Not-so-sad panda
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:44 pm

I find that it is very hard to differentiate people by dress or age. As such I don't see that as much of a problem for buildings. I would just name them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc until I found out what they really were called.
g1asswa1ker

Well

Postby g1asswa1ker » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:54 pm

Buildings do have a little discript already. There are halls cottages eta eta... but I would also like to see buildings with age just like people... <a twenty year old cottage> <a sixty year old Hall>

and for a discript page show that it has a lock and/or if it has extentions.

there is a big difference if its just a cottage or a cottage with 60 stone extentions.

Dynamic road names and place names would be good too....
and to add one final thing being able to point at them... so you can tell people that building there is Joes tavern and that road there leads to a place that people call krif....oh and by the way welcome to Djorf.

they'll be no more confusion then already happens just that people would have to learn there surroundings rather then just know it....
Last edited by g1asswa1ker on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:00 pm

you can't tell what kind of building something is once it's built, so the types don't help you distinguish them.

Personally I'd make everything dynamic, but I reckon that would cause quite an uproar
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:02 pm

No more of an up roar then say iron into hemitite?
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:03 pm

that was my idea too :P

I'm good at making sweeping changes to the basic fundamentals of the game ;)
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:14 pm

I for one liked the change still all of Jos project times should be change to reflect itme dialation but getting back to the topic that comment was ment as a reference not a tangent...

I still think it should be cut and dry... not exctra resource to make no notes to worry about... Just a simple dynamic naming structure... add in some discriptive modifiers just like clothes do but other then that KISS

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”