Musical Instruments?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:06 pm

wichita wrote:For lack of a better place they are found in the Tools submenu.

Great, I thought it was getting a little empty in there for a moment
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:33 pm

Can we have a Misc. submenu please? There are other things besides instruments that are not tools that are also in there, and it's very cluttered.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:38 pm

*sighs* and no bagpipe! :(
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:13 pm

flutes... drums... guitar... can't we have a little bit more veriety?
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:21 pm

Doug R. wrote:*sighs* and no bagpipe! :(

Bagpipes on the way. I would love to have some too. ;) We aren't necessarily finished with this. I'll be curious to how well it takes off and if anything QUALITY will actually come of it.

I feel like I we are handing a 5 year old a crayon in a white room and saying, "have fun."

A Misc. category might be nice, for all of the roleplaying based items which can be constructed. I really hated putting these in Tools as well, but it was the least uncomfortable fit.

I was going to put them in electronics, but Seko actually hit me for suggesting it.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:09 pm

Shouldn't the violin need metal for the strings?
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:06 pm

Doug R. wrote:Shouldn't the violin need metal for the strings?

modern violins use metal strings, but originally they used sheeps intestines, so perhaps sinew would be more apprpriate.

*checks build menu* which is eactly how it is set up
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:19 pm

Solfius wrote:

modern violins use metal strings, but originally they used sheeps intestines, so perhaps sinew would be more apprpriate.

The good strings still have a gut core (or, a step down, a synthetic core). ;) The strings I bought the other day are wrapped with: sterling silver, silver + aluminum, aluminum, and the highest-pitched (E string) is just steel. I believe they make some that are gold, but I decided $45 was my limit, and $60-80 was just excessive, especially when you need to replace them every 6 months. ;)

All-steel strings are mostly for beginners and sound like crap to any experienced player.

Also, if we're being technical, what are Cantrian violin bows made of? Bows use horsehair. (Realism isn't that important to me, really, I just thought I'd mention it.)
Raist

Postby Raist » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:32 pm

Solfius wrote:

They used intestines or sinews :)
Wariat...
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:47 pm

Sarah wrote:
Solfius wrote:

The good strings still have a gut core (or, a step down, a synthetic core). ;) The strings I bought the other day are wrapped with: sterling silver, silver + aluminum, aluminum, and the highest-pitched (E string) is just steel. I believe they make some that are gold, but I decided $45 was my limit, and $60-80 was just excessive, especially when you need to replace them every 6 months. ;)

All-steel strings are mostly for beginners and sound like crap to any experienced player.

Also, if we're being technical, what are Cantrian violin bows made of? Bows use horsehair. (Realism isn't that important to me, really, I just thought I'd mention it.)

Who said there was a bow? perhaps Cantrians just pluck the strings
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:55 pm

my guitar has gold plated strings... [url=http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/dean-markley-2022-alchemy-gold-bronze-set--A2022.htm0See here[/url]

They are the dogs wotsits and last a fair bit longer too, a bit showy but there you go!
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:56 pm

my guitar has gold plated strings... [url=http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/dean-markley-2022-alchemy-gold-bronze-set--A2022.htm0See here [/url]

They are the dogs wotsits and last a fair bit longer too, a bit showy but there you go!
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:58 pm

Solfius wrote:Who said there was a bow? perhaps Cantrians just pluck the strings

Then it would just be a crappy guitar, and we have a guitar. Bows (the weapons) don't have arrows either, but you don't see people in Cantr walking around hitting animals on the head with them instead. It's just assumed ;)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:01 pm

I should have said it's assumed the arrows exist, despite the obvious evidence to the contrary (feathers are not required for bows).
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:02 pm

bad example, as the attack report implies you strike the target with the weapon itself

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”