Skills

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:18 pm

David Goodwin wrote:I think a real lumberjack would take awhile to mater but Cantr folk seem to be people just hacking at trees. Maybe an advanced saw requiring two people to go for a "log" or a large amount of wood would be a slower learning process.

but wouldn't it still be slow getting wood just randomly hacking at trees, or without a developed technique. I think that 100% should represent the proficient, but not the skilled. Proficiency is not something you can pick up in a day, so it should take a least a few days to get to that stage, if not longer.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:03 am

Losing the skills shouldn't go so fast...a "master lumberjack" shouldn't fall down to being an average man if he goes on a journey to get supplies or whatever.
Camino

Postby Camino » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:33 pm

When it comes to losing skills it should be effected by how often you do that particular task so if your always burying the dead you still lose skill but it happens much more infrequently afterall everyone has a bad day.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:08 pm

Yes, that would stop skills falling too fast like what bob said. Perhaps each day you spend doing the project amounts to a day where you don't lose any skill from not doing it?
Zoot

Teachers

Postby Zoot » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:12 pm

It would be interesting if one character could teach a skill directly to another. This would enable schools, classes, et cetera. If one raised an army, for example, they'd have a drill sergeant who'd teach combat. Learning a skill could be a project in and of itself...a teacher would have to be an master in the subject to raise the student's statistics.

One should be able to practice certain skills, like combat. If the only way to keep your combat skill up is to attack others, violence will ensue.

Perhaps that isn't a bad thing. :twisted:
Like the beat beat beat of the tom-tom
When the jungle shadows fall
Like the tick tick tock of the stately clock
As it stands against the wall...
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:43 am

I also like the idea of teachers.

Skilled people could travel all over the world to spread their knowledge...for a high price of course :wink:
swampthing_bob

Postby swampthing_bob » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:17 am

maybe instead of killing people to get your combat skill to stay the same We could make a dummy and fight that.
Don't make me angry
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:45 pm

Possibly if all charcters have some random stats (like rpg characters), eg. Strength, dexterity, constitution and intelligence. (These are the d&d stats, excluding wisdom & charisma, as the cplayer should dictate them throguh rping). Intelligence would indicate how long and easy to learn a skill. The others would dictate physical ability.

This would also create deeper character descriptions. I feel that only the strength stat should be a viible statistic, as in real life tat is the only ability that can really be discerned
west

Postby west » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:49 am

I thought the whole idea (well, one of them)
of cantr was to be resource-based, not skills-based...
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:00 pm

I thought it was to simulate a realistic society.

I don't want this to turn out like some D&D RPG, but I see nothing strange with people having different attributes.
Meh

Postby Meh » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:16 pm

if skills were introduced then it would be another thing for goverments to do or not.

do you take your dexturious people and force them to be guards?
do you take the stong and force them to labor?

or free choice?

(retorical questions for the goverments to think on}
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:11 pm

I think the original idea was for there to be skills for certain activities; ei. farming for food, chopping wood. The skill would allow you to get more resources in less time. The skills would also be hidden so that no one can know how the system works so as to abuse it in anyway. It would work as the more you do something the better you get at it so the more that would be yielded from said project. Also you would lose the skill after while if you did not use it.

The reason for hiding the skills is so that it could realistically resemble real life. For example, someone could go around their whole life looking for what they are good at and might not find it right away. If the skills were visible to the player, the player can say, "oh, my character is good at chopping wood, so I'm going to have him go to the forest and chop wood for the rest of his life".
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:49 pm

The skills should have some sort of bearing on each other...For example, one skilled in melee combat could also have a small bonus to, say, chopping wood, since they're good at hacking and slashing...and...SMASHING O_O And, say, a blacksmith would make a good soldier, since they'd be strong from pounding away at metal all the time. Farmers of potatoes would be good at farming for carrots. People who are good with bows and such might also be good at tinkering with machines and stuff, from nocking arrows all the time building up strength in the fingers and like, but be less skilled at using a shield. Or something crazy like that...
Also, people who are skilled at making things should likely have a small bonus when using them.
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:33 pm

I didn't mean to implicate turning it into a d&d game. I also agree that stats should be invisible.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”