Allow CSS skin to display >160 character object descriptions

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

May we have this?

Yes, I would take advantage of it.
20%
Sure, but I might not use it.
30%
No, changing 4 lines of code for this wastes too much time.
No votes
No, suggestion underestimates how much work it would be.
No votes
I don't care.
40%
Um, what? Suggest it in English, please? I didn't get it.
10%

Total votes: 10
computaertist

Allow CSS skin to display >160 character object descriptions

Postby computaertist » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Benefit: Nothing changes for anyone who doesn't want anything to change. Players like myself who will always want to see the whole custom description no matter how long it is will have the option of using the Custom CSS skin to force the whole description to always show up like so:

Code: Select all

.txt-label span { display:inline !important; }
.txt-label a { display:none; }

Implementation: Edit the javascript on the inventory page so that the text that would appear when a player clicks the [...] link at the end of an object's description is hidden in <span style="display:none;"></span> tags instead of not being present at all (I imagine this to be a change of maybe two lines) and the [...] link removes the style="display:none;" (I imagine this to be a change to maybe two lines).

I want to always see the custom descriptions of items, no matter how long those custom descriptions are.

Some people do not want to see more than the first 160 characters in a custom object description in their inventory unless they click the [...] link to see the rest (which is what we have already, so no change).

I'm asking for a change to maybe 4 lines of javascript which will allow everyone to have what they want, requiring no further work for the people who do not want any change but requiring myself and anyone else who wants to always see the whole descriptions to add a couple of lines to their Custom CSS skin in the interface section of Player Settings as well.
Last edited by computaertist on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
hyrle

Re: Allow CSS to display custom object descriptions.

Postby hyrle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:39 pm

I already use a custom CSS skin, so I would probably use this if the option exists. I would also love to be able to apply a custom color to custom descriptions as well.
computaertist

Re: Allow CSS to display custom object descriptions.

Postby computaertist » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:01 am

hyrle wrote:I would also love to be able to apply a custom color to custom descriptions as well.

So do I, and if I had reason to believe the implementation was almost certainly as simple as changing a few lines of code, I would suggest it. Unfortunately I do not know exactly how custom descriptions have been implemented, so I can't know what exactly that change would require, and unlike what I did suggest that's not something I know how to find out by examining the information that ends up in my browser when I go to the appropriate page.

Speaking of appropriate pages, considering that default descriptions never show up in the inventory page at all (only custom ones do), there is no need to bring up ideas for distinguishing default descriptions from custom description in this thread... except perhaps that my title now is too inclusive... I suppose I'll have to change it again to make it more specific without making it too hard to understand again...
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Re: Allow CSS skin to display >160 character object descript

Postby Greek » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Now it should become possible.

Ctrl+r on inventory page if it isn't.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
computaertist

Re: Allow CSS skin to display >160 character object descript

Postby computaertist » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 am

Thank you :D :D :D

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”