Unsub "block"

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SumBum

Unsub "block"

Postby SumBum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:01 pm

For those of us who know we have impulsive tendencies....

I envision this as an option that would default to no and checkmarked to put it into use. While the option is checked, you cannot unsub. Unchecking the option will start a 24-48 hour timer. You are able to unsub after the timer ends.

This does require some foresight but it would give an option for a cooldown period for those who know they may need it someday without forcing it upon everyone. This would not interfere with the ability to unsub. Anyone who does not enable this option would be able to unsub instantly and those who did use the option would be able to unsub once the timer is done.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Doug R.

Re: Unsub "block"

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:22 pm

It's entirely possible that not allowing players to quit immediately might be illegal. It would have to be a voluntary option under player settings.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Doug R. wrote:It would have to be a voluntary option under player settings.

That's exactly what I'm proposing. Thank you for wording it more succinctly.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 am

As long as it's entirely voluntary, I like! :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
guilletierno

Postby guilletierno » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:58 am

how about a delayed unsub. If someone hit the big X, their characters are still alive for 7 days, generating a time to think about the resignation and come back. of course, characters are exposed like on vacation mode
El vino viene cantando desde la tierra,
baja del cerro hecho agua,
y en una raíz se queda,
y sube por una camino que se llama enredadera,
parra, parrón, vid, mil hojas, verde sombra o como quieras.
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:05 am

guilletierno wrote:how about a delayed unsub. If someone hit the big X, their characters are still alive for 7 days, generating a time to think about the resignation and come back. of course, characters are exposed like on vacation mode

I don't think I understood that properly. Does that mean that you can't rp the death you want because your chars will be there still alive no matter what or that it would somehow "force" you to log that seventh day -at the least- if you want to roleplay any specific kind of death? If so: no, thanks. If want to unsuscribe -again- I wouldn't like anything "forcing" my chars to live for another seven days just because the mechanics say so.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:13 am

7 days is far too long.

I don't even want this option for myself and wouldn't want it forced upon everyone. I'm selfishly trying to keep other players from unsubbing. ;) Plenty of players have rage-quit and regretted it later. For those who know they may be prone to such things, it would be nice to have some way for them to force themselves time to cool off.

It could be this idea is entirely useless because it relies on people choosing in advance if they want themselves put on delay. I just know that the chances aren't good that someone would continue to play with all new chars after they impulsively quit. The regret and loss of their old chars make it hard to start over.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 am

Moving to accepted

- A checkbox in the player settings, that will - when checked - make the unsub not instant.
- Clicking the X when this is checked will start a timer. Clicking X repeatedly will have no effect.
- When the timer runs out the player will get message on the player page with a text, something like "You have previously opted to unsubscribe from the game. If that is still your wish, click YES below. Note that this is final, all your characters will die.".
- Clicking YES unsubs the player, clicking NO removes the timer and message.
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 am

And how long will that timer be?
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 pm

I believe a couple of days would suffice.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 am

Implemented.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”