Room Descriptions

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Mitch79

Room Descriptions

Postby Mitch79 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I noticed in a place I was in recently a note on the ground with the description of the room I was in. I loved it.

What would be the possibility of perhaps putting in a description box for describing a room, something like the character description box, Only this one would show up on the objects when you enter the room or something like that. I would love to be able to enter a room, and know what I am looking at, what the room looks like, where everything is, that sort of thing.
Cogliostro

Re: Room Descriptions

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Who gets to edit it, Mitch?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 pm

The builder. The starter of the project.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:02 pm

And then you gotta etch a new description in with a chisel if you renovate the furniture?
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:05 pm

No.

Furniture is its own category. I imagine the room description would be more like the general shape of the room, architecture, ceiling height, floor design, etc.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Currently sometimes people use additional sign as a building/room description, but of course it isn't perfect. You cannot see description when being inside :D

That suggestion is good idea.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Misato

Postby Misato » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Edit: Pretty much a repeat of what Mitch said. I think it's a great idea.
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
curious

Postby curious » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 pm

I think this would be good in some form, as my chars use notes to define rooms, and they are not always noted by people entering.
Now that it is possible to point to notes, you can role pay gesturing around at least, then point to the note, but ti's not the same.

Yes.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 pm

I didn't say I had all the answers!

I don't know how it would go about who gets to edit it. Might need some suggestions on how to do so, because let's say someone builds it and leaves and someone else takes the building as theirs , they'd need to edit it too, or if you add things to the room, changes need to be able to be made. And I'm talking like the character description box, thre's no need to go in and chisel out a description, it should just be something you can describe like you would a character. What I don't know is how to edit it without someone else coming back and erasing or changing it. I'm still thinking on the how to edit it and by who part but I do think the room description would be a good idea.
curious

Postby curious » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Something like the noticeboard could easily work. A smaller version but lockable?
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:51 pm

+1 to the idea, but I have no suggestions as to how we're going to edit it C:
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 pm

*The bed is across the door by the corner, the chest next to it. The pile of
resources and the items are stacked neatly. The ring is placed in a bowl also holding
the key.
The lantern hangs on the wall just above the headrest.
The bath tub is by the corner, across the bed. The woolen blanket is laid on the
floor in the middle, a creamy colour, like a luxurious rug*

This is the example that got me to thinking about the description idea. It's nice to be able to look at it and see/picture exactlywhere everything is laid out, it helps with the rp as well being able to navigate through the room knowing where everything is. The notes on the ground are ok, but they can always be picked up by people, or moved about. Id' like something set in the room that can't be just picked up and moved.
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:47 am

I love it. Totally, Mitch. (and yep, I've seen newspawns running away with one of those describing notes for some reasons I just can't figure out)

As Curious said, sometimes people doesn't notices that "describing note" on the ground and of course that a description of what you see, even if it's a summary one, enrinches the rp and helps you fitting into the situation. I have the NEED of picturing in my mind each room I get into, but well, of course I won't rp that image when there's no description or the builder/owner/whatever doesn't gives any clue about how he pictures the place. Even though if you're interested enough, you search for it, imo, I love the idea of something more expecific and "durable" than just a note lying if it doesn't give too much work to do.

I like that idea of a kind of lockable small noticeboard. Would you think that could it make sense -or even be possible- that when entering the room you have a message about it? Maybe something in the line of: "You enter XXX, where you see 2 people and a [insert here whatever word is decided to describe that descriptive noticeboard]
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am

How about making the room message associated with the room's lock, so you can only edit it if you have the key?
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:52 am

Moved to accepted. Please continue discussing specifics.

Wouldn't it be enough to make the description change a one day project?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”