Voluntary death from old age

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Voluntary death from old age

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Characters that are older than some threshold (for example 80) could have a button to kill them off. Then players who have managed to play their characters up to an old age could choose to have a natural death for them when they feel the time is right, without having to settle for starvation or violence or having to ask PD for help. There could be a slight delay to allow coming into second thoughts, but max 3 days.
Not-so-sad panda
Hedgedhogst

Re: Voluntary death from old age

Postby Hedgedhogst » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Beautiful. I love it. 8)
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Vega

Postby Vega » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 pm

I still think cantr need natural death. But, in the meanwhile, I love this.
By the way, I'd like that those the corpses show a message that the char died by old age or natural dead, not an heart attack...
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:58 pm

I love this Seko. I don't want forced natural death (unless it's a very long period), but I think it'd be awesome to have a way to make it the player's choice after a certain age.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:23 pm

I am extremely against character death by old age. However, this gives the player the choice when the characters story has ended or their life has gotten tothe point it should be over. I had several a long while back that made it above 100 years old. Their lives had ended and their storylines had ended, they stayed alive and they slept. They became those sleepy leaders because there was no more story to play with them anymore, They'd lived their lives, completed their goals and it was just time to let them go. I would definitely support a button to kill them off at thier old age for the player themself to choose to be able to do so. I love this idea.
Misato

Postby Misato » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Brilliant, Seko. I support it 100%
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Absolutely!
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Finally, something I seem to support wholeheartedly! :lol:
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes, absolutely. It would be a great way to retire a character without going out the plain old routes, starvation or heart attack.
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 pm

+1 Bro.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 am

For me people in all age shoud have possibility to do this - only diffrence should be blocked slot for young characters. People doing this anyway, and will be - we just make it harder and this don't give game any positive consequences in my opinion. On the contrary, some players decide to delete account, because they have problems with time but feel guilty when their not take care about living chars.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 am

I want to propose a small additional feature to go with this button. Sudden violent exploding death that happens whenever the game detects an 80+ (probably town leader) character grabbing up stuff in town square that dropped from dead people.

The corpse message can say the person died of insatiable greed.
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 am

Cogliostro, I agree with that. Yesterday I watched a Cantrian die. A fellow cantrian picked up a few of the more valuable tools and got insta-dragged to prison. The leader snatched back what he took and proceeded to empty the corpse of everything.
The dead Cantrian was a visitor, and had said nothing to anyone since arrival. Every law note says "Do not pick up anything that does not belong to you". Nowhere does it ever say "Do not pick up anything that does not belong to you, unless you are the leader, in which case feel free to take what you want from who you want without discussion or reason".

Make them explode today!
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 pm

psychowico wrote:For me people in all age shoud have possibility to do this - only diffrence should be blocked slot for young characters. People doing this anyway, and will be - we just make it harder and this don't give game any positive consequences in my opinion. On the contrary, some players decide to delete account, because they have problems with time but feel guilty when their not take care about living chars.

If we have overwhelming support to approve this for older characters, let's start there and gradually ease into lowering the age. The issue gets more contentious as the age drops.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm not sure if it would be easy to do or not, but I would suggest, since this is natural causes from old age, that after the player clicks the button, the death is not instantaneous but random within the next year, or half a year.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”