Eating Statuses

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Armulus Satchula

Eating Statuses

Postby Armulus Satchula » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:30 pm

You can see when another character is starving, but I think some other statuses would be nice too. I see this for making more RP possibilities or giving more of a heads up for when people are going to kick the bucket.

50% Hunger: Scrawny
75% Hunger: Emaciated
90% Hunger: Near Death
Doug R.

Re: Eating Statuses

Postby Doug R. » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Yes, this would indeed be very nice. It could allow characters to purposely half starve themselves to appear a certain way. Enter the anorexics!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah, sounds good for the RP. Thumbs up.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am

It would give you more than 2-3 days to ID hungry charries.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:20 am

Sounds like a good idea.
Pretty in pink.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 am

I'm in full support of this suggestion, although if it were purely for roleplay reasons I would just write "scrawny" or "emaciated" in the description itself.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 am

But a lot of people don't remember that, it is true that one can hide famine for a long while, people can do a week without any food, yet when wearing normal clothes people will simply not notice, maybe a bit of weight loss... It is a good idea, but might not be realistic.

ALthough cantr is ofcourse not real-life, I don't think this idea is realistic, or it should be covered by clothing in some way...
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:44 am

Could lengthen the time from ten days to fifteen for someone to appear scrawny. I agree with Henkie, though; it might seem a bit unrealistic at times. Imagine a sleepy fat character who looks scrawny.

Whatever. I still like it.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:23 pm

Exactly, it's sonds nice, but it needs to be more thought-through :) I am too tired right now though (hihi)
Kelna

Postby Kelna » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 am

Clothing or not, there would likely be some visible indicators. Changes to the hands, or the face you would notice with consistent, infrequent looking. (Say once a day, every day. Not enough that the changes would be naturally unnoticeable.) And considering how in-exact some of the details can be, (average height, average weight, average strength.) is there any reason we can not have our characters look at a starving, rotund newspawn and go, "I should feed him, he's looking scrawny/emaciated/near death... for a fat guy?"
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I agree completely to this suggestion.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Kelna wrote:Clothing or not, there would likely be some visible indicators. Changes to the hands, or the face you would notice with consistent, infrequent looking. (Say once a day, every day. Not enough that the changes would be naturally unnoticeable.) And considering how in-exact some of the details can be, (average height, average weight, average strength.) is there any reason we can not have our characters look at a starving, rotund newspawn and go, "I should feed him, he's looking scrawny/emaciated/near death... for a fat guy?"

True true true.. But with the right amount of clothing, or a guy wearing loose clothing.. It really is hard to tell. I have seen people starved to almost-death.. Many a times one can not even notice it is they are wearing regular clother (long pants, long-sleeved shirt).
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:28 pm

I have a char that "looks terribly burnt by the sun and looks very thin". That is what that field is for, not letting the world know you are a person great at miningbut hating newspawn liars.
madfish

Postby madfish » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:11 am

Henkie wrote:
Kelna wrote:Clothing or not, there would likely be some visible indicators. Changes to the hands, or the face you would notice with consistent, infrequent looking. (Say once a day, every day. Not enough that the changes would be naturally unnoticeable.) And considering how in-exact some of the details can be, (average height, average weight, average strength.) is there any reason we can not have our characters look at a starving, rotund newspawn and go, "I should feed him, he's looking scrawny/emaciated/near death... for a fat guy?"

True true true.. But with the right amount of clothing, or a guy wearing loose clothing.. It really is hard to tell. I have seen people starved to almost-death.. Many a times one can not even notice it is they are wearing regular clother (long pants, long-sleeved shirt).

I disagree, my best friend at uni got a bit too involved with a certain drug and ended up losing a lot of weight. He always wears baggy skater clothes and I could tell even then he was really skinny.

But I would like to point out that hunger isn't linked to bodyweight as strongly as some of you seem to believe. The body will starve on average after four days without food or water. If you are obese/fat/thin at the start of those four days you will still be obese/fat/thin after four days of starvation. What you seem to be talking about is a consistently inadequate diet over a longer period.

Not that I am against a system of physical well-being in cantr which is related to a diet. But I think giving foods particular nutritional values and implementing exercise would be a batter way of doing it than linking it directly with hunger.

For example someone who eat everyday but only eat potatos would be well fed under the original suggestion. In reality though this would be a really poor diet and they would probably look fairly ill
West is the new North!
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Armulus Satchula wrote:You can see when another character is starving, but I think some other statuses would be nice too. I see this for making more RP possibilities or giving more of a heads up for when people are going to kick the bucket.

50% Hunger: Scrawny
75% Hunger: Emaciated
90% Hunger: Near Death

I think it would be easier to stick to this original suggestion, as is. If/when it gets implemented, we could then discuss adding further technicalities.

I'm all for the eating status suggestion, because it gives reason to take more notice of character description, which will aid the hungry, as well as the role players who use their character description to project current/recent situations.
I feel that not enough characters take notice of character descriptions, and this suggestion would help counter that, as well as help identify those who are hungry/starving.

I say, keep it simple...
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”