Fixes to stomach

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Re: Fixes to stomach

Postby Doug R. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:24 pm

SekoETC wrote:I'd just need to make a difference between digested and undigested food.
Yep.

SekoETC wrote:After that you would couldn't heal for the whole day.
Seems to me to be a decent deterrent from doing this.

Edit. /EchoMan
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:40 pm

I removed some parts describing an exploit of the site.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:47 pm

SekoETC wrote:It was exploiting a feature that hasn't even been implemented, in other words the heal max button. Are we going to need such a thing if unused healing potential will carry over until it's needed?

If food is going to sit there, no I guess you don't need a max heal button, but I think people will want to know what the max is anyway. It tells you now how much you need to eat now, I don't see why we shouldn't retain that information.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:58 pm

I feel like this is a bit too complicated.

How about:

Code: Select all

You have 800 grams of <some dual-purpose food> and there's 8000 grams of space left in your stomach, so the maximum amount you can eat is 800 grams.

Consuming this substance would give you:
Hunger: -4.6 % / 100 g
Damage: -3.9 % / 100 g

You need to eat:
136 g to return to 0% hunger.
274 g to return to 0% damage.

Amount to eat:                      [   empty text field   ]

[Continue]

[Go back]

You can still eat 800 g if you so desire, but the extra amount eaten is wasted. After this person eats enough to satiate their hunger, if they continue to eat more the hunger-satiating effects are non-existent. If they continue to eat after both bars are at zero, it's just wasted food, for roleplay purposes, as was one of the original intents of the stomach (right?). At the eating tick, everything gets purged, and if enough nourishing food hasn't been consumed yet the difference gets made up then. Then you start the new day (or tick or whatever) with an empty stomach.

Or did I misread and this is already what it's like?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 pm

That's what it's like, it just doesn't tell the numbers and calculating based on the given values would only give a rough estimate since damage etc is shown without decimals. But it doesn't look cluttered when you put it that way.

I started liking the carry over idea when it was brought up, though. One of my characters ate a cookie and lemon juice without being injured just because it's now possible but I don't think most people would start "wasting" healing food regularly once the novelty wears off. I assume people would be more likely to eat excessively if there were benefits involved. Maybe the "constipation" wouldn't last forever, maybe food would still continue to get digested slowly even while it wasn't providing any perks, but the mere possibility of having automatic healing in case something happens should encourage people to take the chance. It would be like buying insurance. Most of the time you pay for nothing but sometimes it pays off.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 am

You're starting to convince me ;).

Maybe you could lose only 10-25% daily at the eating tick. Maybe we could even implement variable weight, so characters could get fat or thin based on their food consumption.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 am

Maybe the weight inside the stomach should still count against the total...
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Ok just read the whole topic...

Still lost....
As I understand:
I can eat more then needed, but when the eating tick happens anything I don't need is gone. Therefore tomorrow I will need to ensure I log in to feed my characters again. Same goes for healing.

My concern:
If I get involved in RL issues and don't log in for a week. Most if not all my characters would be either dead or near dead.

So what is he solution or am I missing something.
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 pm

g1asswa1ker: Daily eating still happens automatically if you didn't eat manually. That hasn't changed and is not going to change. Currently over-eating is only enabled for two reasons: 1) rp reasons (how many times you've wished your character could've eaten ice cream/cookies/popcorn/other treats without hitting himself?) and 2) a failed attempt to reduce min-maxing - the mentality that Cantrians must know how many grams something is going to take and using any more would be a horrible waste.

Others: I think what would make things simpler is if eating nourishing food didn't "heal" hunger straight away, but it would get consumed at the normal speed during the eating tick, nourishing 5 % at most. That way all nourishing food in the stomach would be undigested, and it would get purged when it's digested (during the eating tick).

But healing food would get digested at the moment of eating for the part that's used to heal something, and the digested part would be saved as a placeholder material (fresh dung would make sense, even though it doesn't really matter what it was since stomach contents can't be viewed), which would get purged during the eating tick. The part that didn't heal anything would be saved as it is, and could cause autohealing during the eating tick.

Drunkenness would be instantly applied according to the full amount that was consumed. If something that causes drunkenness also had healing qualities (likely in most cases), if this healing was applied on the moment of consumption, the material would be stored as placeholder material, while if the healing powers remained unspent, the material would be saved as it is. Again the healing potential could be used during the eating tick, but drunkenness wouldn't be taken into account anymore since it was already applied earlier.

I think if healing and nourishing potential was preserved for several days and still wouldn't reduce how much you can carry, people could eat their stomach full before a trip on a say, motorcycle, and be able to transport more stuff. This could give a strategic reason to eat nourishing food manually and that's why I'd rather not make it count as a part of the 15 kilos you can carry or room/vehicle capacity limitations. And imagine if you got locked up by people and they were going to weight-test you. Assuming your daily and healing foods were compact enough, you could eat them all and be protected against starvation and be able to heal daily even if everything in your inventory was confiscated. That would be pretty awesome.
Not-so-sad panda
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:56 pm

SekoETC wrote:Others: I think what would make things simpler is if eating nourishing food didn't "heal" hunger straight away, but it would get consumed at the normal speed during the eating tick, nourishing 5 % at most. That way all nourishing food in the stomach would be undigested, and it would get purged when it's digested (during the eating tick).

the rest of the post was fine but this part i didn't like :lol: this turns the stomach into an IV bag
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Seko, just to be clear:

- All food will persist in the stomach then until digested. Healing food will digest if needed at the tick, as well as nourishing food. Anything undigested will remain undigested.

-Dual use foods will both nourish and heal if auto eaten and manually eaten.

What do you think about an ability to vomit? It would clear out your stomach, leaving a vomit pile, and you won't be able to manually eat for at least a day after.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:10 pm

That sounds like a good idea. Kinda icky though. Where would you put such a button?
Not-so-sad panda
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:30 pm

In the CHARACTER DESCRIPTION page?

And yes, it's VERY icky. I don't think we should start creating vomit, feces and stuff like that...
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I think the option to self purge would be interesting...

Allows the removal of poisons :mrgreen:
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Well, if we don't want a pile of vomit, we can just not have anything produced. However, if we're going to make it so that food just sits in your stomach until needed, we need to make a way to manually purge the stomach in case it's not needed in a timely fashion and the character needs to free up space.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”