Domestication of Animals

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Gunther_01

Domestication of Animals

Postby Gunther_01 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:23 am

With regards to domestication of animals, each animal would require a different type of building.
Chickens would require a chicken coop, horses would require a stable, cows would require a Dairy.
Alternativley you could just build a building and have seperate "stations" for each animal.
You could build a nest, allowing the chicken to lay a certain amount of eggs per day. There would be seperate Milking stations and Seperate Areas for horses.
Horses could be given a saddle (including all nessisary horse riding equipment) and be ridden with relative haste.
It should be made possible to fight from horseback, decreasing the damage done to you, or increasing the defence, and making each of your attacks more dangerous (but not by much, say 10% of it's original strength, not including bows)

With reguards to catching animals, you would need a "Capture animal" button. When this button is pressed the animal will immediately try to escape, and will make an attempt every game hour.
You could then have, as a form of project, the "Tame Animal". This could take half a day, with the animal still trying to make regular escapes.
The taming could be helped by coaxing it with food, bearing in mind of corse that horses will be much harder to catch than chickens.
After they have been tamed, the new found owner can use a button simmilar to the "pull" action, leading it into the respective building, and it's station.
After the animal has been placed in it's home, it will require food. Each station can be alloted a set amount of food, to be consumed at the animals Leasure. If the animal runs out of food it will stop producing eggs or milk, or in the case of horses, it will only have a percentage speed equal to that of its current strength. Of course you must bear in mind that the animals that I have used as examples here will only eat certain types of food.

Animals should not be coaxed to breed by the player, but if they are left to run rampant inside the building they are being help in, the player may notice a new horse all of a sudden.
In the case of chickens, you could not collect the eggs and leave them, and maybe 10 or 20% of eggs may give birth to a new chicken.

So there you have it. If you feel I've left anything out, let me know.
TRAMAPOLINE!!!! TRAMAPOLINE!!!
Remnant
Location: My location depends solely on those that see without sight.

Postby Remnant » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:13 pm

Sounds good, though a little too much information. The animals eat on their own already. Shouldn't that be left alone?
When night and day meet, amazing things seem to happen...
---------------------------------------------
Slave inside, obey the call.
Die to one. Live to all.
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:04 pm

yes they eat on there own but they are also wondering around town not stuck inside a building
Gunther_01

Postby Gunther_01 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:30 pm

I dont believe that I supplied too much information, I was just outlining the possible procedure.
TRAMAPOLINE!!!! TRAMAPOLINE!!!
PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:11 pm

hmmm that sounds like alot of information for the developers... but still... I want a pony :D
I'm so cool 8-)
RyceLandeer

Postby RyceLandeer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:52 pm

Well I think the basic procedure should be up to the makers but I definately agree horses would be a great addition to the game
PsychoEmperor

Postby PsychoEmperor » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:22 pm

um horses are in the game... we just can't ride them... and get little ponies.... *dreams about having a little pony to take to the park... and pick up chicks* 8)
I'm so cool 8-)
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:09 pm

i had this in another thread but i figured i should post it here as well.

i had an idea on increased interaction with animals.
the ability to gain the trust and thus "domesticate" them, different animals requiring different amounts of effort to befriend.
make it so that animals cannot be bred in the "domestic" stage but could be put in a building and use a "release" option so they return to the wild state and then can breed, and in order to gain thier friendship again is just as much effort as if you caught them in the wild.
also it should cost a certain amount of food to feed them, not rediculous amounts but enough that it requires occasional farming to feed them.
horses and elephants should be ridable
elephants wolves and cheetas and the sort should be tamable as pets/ assistants in fights.trainable so they have different reactions to different people, possibly get them to be passive to some people while attacking other's on site, depending on training.(bears too but require a lot of effort to tame)
sheep should produce a limited amount of wool if you have the right tool, and it would be substantially less than from killing it but still worthwhile if you have say 5 or so sheep
cows should be able to produce milk and should be possibly the only of a few domestically breedable animals enough that a person can feasably raise cows for thier meat possibly they eat for free if they are housed in an area with thier food naturally growing.
same with chickens and eggs chickens eat either corn or wheat (whichever you choose to feed it between those) and they lay eggs which could be harvested for food or put in some sort of incubator to hatch into a new chicken (which is wild until at birth but can be tamed like any wild animal.)
it would add a whole new element to the game and create a lot of realism, with the ability to interact with them like this it would also cause more variations in social development.
Spider

Postby Spider » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:26 am

How about sometimes getting hurt when you try to tame them?
I was not intoxicated while I wrote this.
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:38 am

"you see man in his twenties attempt to tame cheetah"

"you see cheetah rip arm off man in his twenties and start eating it"

"you man in twenties die from blood loss"

"you see cheetah eat man in his twenties"

" you see nobody try and tame cheetah's again"
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:43 am

anyone who tries to tame the cheeta by them self has got to be an idiot and the laws of nature place idiots on the bottom of the foodchain :lol:

which helps spark a thought in my mind about the different amounts of effort required for different animals ect....

some animals like the cheeta would require a few people in order to be sucessful.
horses, cattle, birds are examples of single person projects since realistically a single person can somewhat safely tame those animals on thier own.

we should have alligators and crocs as well as the ability to dig a moat and make a drawbridge but that belongs in a different thread and would be so complicated i don't care to get into it today lol
Agar

Postby Agar » Thu May 13, 2004 6:13 pm

How about being able to train them for a task? Gaurd Dogs, Attack Dogs, Sled dogs, etc. Hunting hawks, War horses, Geishia Sheep ... Ok, maybe not that last one, but animals can be put to different uses.

Each task would be a seperate project, and take time and materials. Sled dog needs leather for a harness and some meat to reward it during training. Attack Dogs nead a leash and maybe some iron for a mean collor 8) , meat again, and probally some leather and cotton to make padded clothing for the target :twisted:
Reality was never my strong point.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Thu May 13, 2004 9:00 pm

You see a man in his twenties hurt a man in his twenties with sabre

A man in his twenties says: Oh you think so don't you?

You see a man in his twenties give command to gaurd cheetah to rip of mans leg.

You see cheetah rip off mans leg

A man in his twenties says: HA! That'll teach you!
My old banner ;)
Where are all the monkeys

Postby Where are all the monkeys » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:03 am

What about dogs? You could catch and train a dog(probably a wolf to be honoust} and It would automaticly counterattack anyone,man or animal, who attacked you, even if you were sleeping.It could also be used for hunting, to catch{ probably smaller} animals.Obviously It would take a very long time to train, probably as much as a year,, and during training/taming it might attack you.Also, your food intake woulld be increased slightly, but this would all be worth it, due to the significant benefits offered.
A twisted existance is the fate of a twisted mind
Where are all the monkeys

Postby Where are all the monkeys » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:04 am

Oops, loks like I was beaten too that one
A twisted existance is the fate of a twisted mind

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”