Domestication of Animals

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Pirog

Postby Pirog » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:19 am

A topic worthy of resurrection! :)

I would really like to see domestication of animals. I think it would bring much good to the game.
Especially the possibility to train and use horses as vehicles for people lacking the materials to make iron vehicles would be really cool.

Since there are cows you could have oxes that could be used as a farming tool. (plowing the fields)
Eat the invisible food, Industrialist...it's delicious!
Missy

Postby Missy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:01 am

Im not so big on this topic, but I'll say why I'd like to see it most:

So that animals can be transported to areas that have none to breed. :D
Can you imagine livestock on ships? That would be awesome. :P
Revanael

Postby Revanael » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:52 pm

I think Jos said that any modifications to animals would require a full re-write of the animals system...

Maybe sometime soon, not yet.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:48 pm

Totally, blatantly ignorant suggestion:
just let us drag the little things...there are already animal tabs on vehicles and in buildings, which while knowing nothing I guessed meant that there was meaning to an animal being indoors, even if they coiuldn't be yet. On that assumption, if you just let us drag them we can have livestock by hauling them into buildings, and can tronsport them by pulling them into vehicles.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:01 pm

I like the idea of dragging animals. That doesn't sound difficult to implement either.
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
Where are all the monkeys

Postby Where are all the monkeys » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:35 pm

I think it sounds like a great idea, but I can see how It could be difficult
A twisted existance is the fate of a twisted mind
NetherSpawn

Postby NetherSpawn » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:13 am

Just as a side note, a cheetah would have a great deal of trouble ripping an arm off. Cheetahs choke prey to death by clamping down on their throats because they can't kill them any other way (like ripping the throat out). They're actually not all that dangerous. Since they give way to just about any other large predator (choking loses to ripping), they might well be too skittish to tame.

Back to relevant material: I'm all for animal dragging... except that animals are VERY different from people. Ignoring this tiredness business, a few people could put every animal around on a ship and sail away, or lock up all the pesky lions around Krif instead of killing them, because locking them up would be easier. That's actually an issue in Cantr: normally it's EASIER to kill something than to cage it by force. Also, you can't hit every animal in a stack, unlike humans, so caging's far more powerful. Also lets you hunt them at your leisure but that's hardly the point.
"We will change our world forever. You will handle the arrangements."
social moth

Postby social moth » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:39 am

Yes, it'd have to be very difficult to drag animals.

- a special building (not any run of the mill building)
- one animal at a time
- a certain tool needed
- very long, or very tiring project
Where are all the monkeys

Postby Where are all the monkeys » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:15 pm

possibly there would be an incresased chance of animal attack while doing so{from that animal}
A twisted existance is the fate of a twisted mind
Capt. Mobious

Postby Capt. Mobious » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Yes, please domesticate animals! I started my very first character in November and said he was a horse trainer. His goal was to set up a stable and rent or sell horses to people for travelling. I soon learned from other characters that you couldn't do this. And it makes sense that you could domesticate sheep and cows for food and hides. Please implement this concept! Thank you!
wulf

Postby wulf » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:35 am

Domestication has certainly been an important factor in the development of real life societies. I think it would be great to see it implemented in some degree.

Wulf
Just A Bill

Pony On my boat.

Postby Just A Bill » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:45 pm

Yes. I want to be able to put my pony on my boat. I'd even spawn a new character Mr Lyle Lovett to do just that. I sitll have a few open character slots.
kroner

Postby kroner » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:59 pm

i wanna put my bike on a boat. i will not be satisfied until i have a world map!
DOOM!
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:24 pm

hmmm yes i guess full domestication would take a lot of writing but i just thought of a system that may be simpler, it includes the buildings of course. the ability to build a stable, and the ability to build an aviary. how it works is, and i know we can do it the old fasioned way but. there would be a double gate/door on them and i'll explain how the system would work. already in the game, animals can go in and out of town along roads too. now if a person was to build a stable and open the outer gate and wait for an animal to walk in checking periodically and when it does, lock that gate and open the other until the animal is in the main area then put the gate like they were before, preventing escape and alowwing more to be caught. benefits of doing this , well they can still breed and cannot escape this would be a way of keeping a heard of probably mixed animals unless you took your time to only let one kind in, that would be safe from overhunting. need the aviary because birds can fly out of a stable. and naturally like in any other building you can build rooms, hahaha make a zoo if you want and live there too :P just thinking that allowing animals to come and go from buildings like they do from towns and roads might be easier to program and satisfy some of the domestication idea.

or alternatly just make one new building called a pen, and program the building to allow animals to walk in with the double gate idea or we could just build a pen in a pen.

in anycase, true domestication went in steps not a big leap. by the time the full domestication could be programmed if that is planned, starting with smaller simpler things might creat a more natural progression in the societal development of domestication.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:28 pm

Polish players support suggestions about using horses for transport and riding.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”