Windows

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

trage

Postby trage » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:54 am

x.X This is still here, I thought this died, a long time ago.

Anyways, yeah, I believe they were sketchy about this before, so I am not so sure people will accept it this time either, just to tell you.
Pie

Postby Pie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:20 pm

what can i say.. it's an AWESOM idea. and if its implemented right.. it will be an AWESOM thing in the game.

but i still wil say.. to be able to shoot.. or hit people outside of your window would be cool.. and to be able to shoot into the window.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:21 am

Posts merged from locked topic: Windows. But read.
Thetaris wrote:Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:29 am
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ws++window
It's been suggested, but very lightly.

Basically, you know how you can click 'Knock' or 'Enter' a building? There would be a third button, 'Window' or 'Look in' or something and all it is is,
'You see a man in his twenties _______' and you'd see everything inside.

I don't know whether you'd see everything inside and out, that could be confusing. But rather than suggesting this, I'm debating it.

DEBATING!
So, yeah, debate, it's really not a suggestion.

And I wanted to start a fresh post about windows, as the last one was really cluttered with like 4 pages.
Pie wrote:Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:06 am
Cool.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:15 am

I am still very in favor of this.

I'm no programmer, but I assume it'd start with a T/F statement to make sure you want to put it in a building or extension and not outside.

Building Window
400 grams window glass
1000 grams wood

tools: trowel
sledgehammer

Then once its made it would present itself like on the objects menu as 'Window to '(Outside, Office, Storage room, wherever it was linking) with the eye symbol. The eye symbol will only allow one to see who is outside and the task they are working on.

Thoughts comments concerns?
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
docent

Postby docent » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:22 am

bump
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:34 pm

people should be able to see in to the house if the window is open but you should be able to close the window so that people can't see in, if a window is closed it should be possible to open it both from the inside and the outside, if the window has a lock then you have to break the lock before opening the window (as with doors) there should be different levels of locks (wood, iron, steel) and higher ones are harder to break

most of this has been said before and I'm in favor of it
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Ok, but window doesn't have to be made of glass, does it? I mean, we should be able to make a window without glass (so we wouldn't be able to close it) and then we can just install it like lock.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:25 pm

Perhaps it could be coded so that adding the window converts the building to a land-locked vehicle (like all of those dinghies and longboats built in forests before the bug was fixed.)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:37 pm

What? so a window will stop a smelter being built then ? :wink:
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Well, there are always sacrifices to be made for any game advantage. That is just good game balance. :)

We could also create a type 5 object. ;)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
in vitro...

Postby in vitro... » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:10 pm

Windows were sugested on the polish forums some time ago. Players were in favor with it (35 votes pro, 2 cons. Here is the poll - question is "Do you want windows' implementation?", "tak" means "yes", "nie" means "no") The result of that disscusion was similar to this wichita's idea:
Perhaps it could be coded so that adding the window converts the building to a land-locked vehicle (like all of those dinghies and longboats built in forests before the bug was fixed.

We could also create a type 5 object. :wink: )
So, could someone from ProgD comment it or move it to Accepted/Rejected?

PS: Sorry for my english, i hope you understand me.
cantr się posypał
in vitro...

Postby in vitro... » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:08 pm

anybody out there?
cantr się posypał
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:31 pm

The suggestion of windows has been around for a very long time - as have many other suggestions. There is no need to bump it no immediate decision will be made.
fuschyou

Postby fuschyou » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:00 am

I think it's time to put this in accepted suggestions. People don't like to be in buildings if they can't see/communicate with the outside and this hinders economic progress in the game.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:16 pm

There's no mind in accepting it if no one's gonna have time to work on the code. I would be just raising false hopes.

Some things to consider: (and they may have been covered in this topic but I haven't read it at least so that I would remember.) If a window has no glass or screen or grid or shades or pig bladder to cover it, people will be able to push things inside and maybe enter through it if it's big enough. Since dimensions haven't been taken into account anywhere in Cantr (although they have been recorded for some items) wether an item can fit through a window should be based on it's weight. This applies to people as well. So most people would be making windows smaller than 60 kilos in capacity.

If a window is covered in some fashion that doesn't include holes then sounds could not be heard from the other side. But if the window is big enough then maybe people could see pointing, arriving, leaving, hitting, whispering and You see X saying something to cover for regular talking. But if the window is small then these things could only be seen by a person standing in front of the window. To make things a bit more fair to the people outside, lets say that a window is small if its capacity is less than 60 kilos. So if people wanted to benefit from a view outside at all times, they would have to risk making windows that can be used for human entrance.

How to stand in front of a window? There would be some sort of a button. You should be able to continue working on projects while in front of the window no matter if they were started elsewhere in the room, just as long as they are not bound to any machine. So someone looking out of a window wouldn't have to be completely idle. The catch is a person standing in front of a window could be attacked with non-ranged weapons from the outside. Naturally the attacker would also have to stand in front of the window on the other side. People further in the room could be attacked with ranged weapons.

To stop or to slow down attacks, people could invest in grids, window glasses etc. A metal grid would take a crowbar to remove and it would limit the weight capacity to what ever can be passed between the bars, even if the window as a whole would be bigger than 60 kg.

Window glasses in real life can be broken with pretty much anything but since it's so expensive in Cantr, I'd suggest that it took a sledgehammer. Those are widely available although nowadays they take steel to make (again). A person passing through a broken glass window would take a random amount of damage despite their shielding, although it would be good if clothing offered some protection. Breaking the glass could be instantaneous but entering would take one tick. It would still allow fast entrance to those playing with exact timing but the person would be stuck inside the building for a whole hour unless they can leave through a door, so that would make it riskier than piracy.

Bladder windows could be simulated with hide but since the transparency would be poor... I don't know if people can really see through those. I think it's just to let sunshine seep through. Anyway, such could be cut with a knife and would naturally deal no damage on the person entering. The same thing with mosquito nets although I don't know how those would be made without plastic. ...Cloth?
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”