Custom descriptions for clothing

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Custom descriptions for clothing

Postby SekoETC » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:14 am

I just figured it would be cool if people could give an alternative description to items of clothing as long as it didn't go against what it actually is. Since the names are visible nowadays, even if the standard description was hidden if a custom description existed, people could easily see what the item is and if the custom description introduced elements that shouldn't be there. A lot of people describe clothing in their custom descriptions but might forget to change the description after stripping the item, resulting in describing clothing that are not actually worn anymore. Also if a person dies and the body is stripped, if someone had described an article of clothing as ragged or stained, it would lose these details if the person taking the clothes wasn't aware of it. If the description was attached to the item in question instead of the character wearing it, it would give a sense of continuity. It would also allow creative expression.
Not-so-sad panda
Surly

Re: Custom descriptions for clothing

Postby Surly » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:01 am

I'm in favour of this.

However, would each individual item of clothing need to be monitored by PD in the same way character descriptions are?
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:27 am

One thing I started wondering is are clothing IDs actually stored when something gets worn, or does it just generate a new id when it's taken off? I think it does, come to think of it. IDs would have to be stored even when the item is worn in order to store the descriptions.
Not-so-sad panda
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 pm

I support this too.

Surly wrote:However, would each individual item of clothing need to be monitored by PD in the same way character descriptions are?

*nods* I believe so.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:42 pm

I support the idea. Masterfully described clothes might even become valuable trade goods.
Pretty in pink.
Tincho

Postby Tincho » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14 pm

I like the idea, but the description has to stay with the object, if not it becomes meaningless.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Tincho wrote:I like the idea, but the description has to stay with the object, if not it becomes meaningless.

+1

People already use their char description to put in some extra info about their clothing. This would give a little more incentive or fun for tailors.

Would this be a permanent description? I can't imagine someone making a new shirt and it already being torn and ragged (maybe they're THAT bad at sewing?). I do like the idea for clothing to have its own description for when they're passed on to a new owner.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:57 am

I don't think they should be permanent because wear and tear happens, and patching happens, and alterations can happen. I think it would just be up to players to keep them consistent just like with character descriptions. I've seen a guy who was described as a caveman and then turned into a handsome guy, and I still wonder what's up with that, so likewise if someone made a tattered garnment suddenly turn brand new, people would take the owner less seriously if they knew it was the same item.
Not-so-sad panda
Gran

Postby Gran » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Seko wrote:I don't think they should be permanent because wear and tear happens, and patching happens, and alterations can happen.

How about giving the option to reset or change the description when repairing the item?
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Gran wrote:How about giving the option to reset or change the description when repairing the item?

I think that would be a good idea if clothes were repairable, but they aren't. :|
Joshuamonkey's Blog
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:55 pm

It could be set as a project that could simulate repairs or alterations. Like changing a sign. Set it for one day and require a needle. That would give some realistic aspect/effort to changing the appearance of the clothing.
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:59 pm

SumBum wrote:It could be set as a project that could simulate repairs or alterations. Like changing a sign. Set it for one day and require a needle. That would give some realistic aspect/effort to changing the appearance of the clothing.

I think that would be nice. :) I wonder if the tools required to make the items would be necessary.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:18 pm

A needle for say, a crown of daisies? Can't be that straightforward. And what if you wanted to make an article of clothing look broken after getting hit, or dirty after working? You shouldn't require a tool for that. Of course optimally the game would keep track of the status of the item but it's much easier coding-wise if the player does it instead.
Not-so-sad panda
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Requiring a needle was just an example. But I wasn't considering situations where an immediate change would make more sense. Repairs and alterations would be something planned that make more sense as a project, but that wouldn't work for all situations.
Andu

Postby Andu » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:20 pm

This would also enable nameplates or signs on cloths, or as a different piece of metal or something.
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”