Custom descriptions for clothing

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Re: Custom descriptions for clothing

Postby Doug R. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:42 pm

I approve of the suggestion, and agree that descriptions need to be linked to the clothing item. However, you guys seem to be missing the most important implication of tracking individual clothing items - clothing can finally deteriorate with use. No more wearing silk dresses to refine your iron ore, and finally a viable market for those forlorn tailors.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Agreed. Tailoring is a pretty low standard job, but that would probably change.

Hemp work gloves for all projects with heavy tools etc, or blisters would make you work slower. ;)
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:46 pm

EchoMan wrote:Hemp work gloves for all projects with heavy tools etc, or blisters would make you work slower

We would need to implement other types of work gloves first, though I'm not sure if we should have clothing, or lack there of, directly affect our characters.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Joshuamonkey wrote:I'm not sure if we should have clothing, or lack there of, directly affect our characters.

I don't think it should until weather is implemented.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:51 am

We don't have weather, but we do have climate. This is getting off-topic though.
Pretty in pink.
Tincho

Postby Tincho » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 am

I think the descriptions should be extended to all objects (including buildings, machinery, locations and vehicles).
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Fri May 25, 2012 2:50 am

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=23493 <---- Quote from here:

LittleSoul wrote:Sure you could have them in your character description, but if you have a character who changes clothes often for a personality quirk or, they're just a fashonista ( 8) ), then you don't want to have to change your description every single time you put on something different.
Not to mention you'd have to save the details separately on your computer, because you don't want to forget which outfit has which details. It'd be embarrassing to forget, and look silly. :mrgreen:

And it would make it easier on the staff that looks through all the character descriptions.

LittleSoul wrote:Back to the "details of clothing to my char's description" for a moment, I'd like to mention, even if you make it sound unique in your description; as soon as you take it off, or don't want it anymore, those unique details you had on it go away the minute you put it on the ground. This suggestion would make it so that if you dropped a pair of hide pants that you originally described as being embroidered at the hem in your description, then they would still be embroidered, and whoever picked them up next would see that, for example.

IMO, the custom "Handy-work/mark" should probably be permanent to avoid as mush misuse as possible as well as have little work in moderating all the changing descriptions.
My old banner ;)
Erwin

Postby Erwin » Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Just throwing a suggestion out here for the opposide of Custom descriptions for worn clothing, a description for when you're not wearing a piece of clothing. For example, scars underneath a shirt, only visible when not wearing that shirt.
It would probaly be alot harder to add, but I'm just throwing this out there.

One idea to add such a thing would be to use custom BBCode in character description, for example <notclothing:Hemp blindfold> His eyes are dark green </notclothing>
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 pm

I like that. One of main things to improve gameplay is to give possibility for RD to let characters use custom descriptions for all allowed objects and locations. They will know what to do with that :)
I'll try to do something about it just after the season of exams ;)
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Implemented.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”