Unsubscribing shouldn't be instant

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Dogonabun

Postby Dogonabun » Wed May 14, 2008 2:37 pm

I think there is a serious flaw with the account cancelling system, in that in one irrational moment you can destroy everything your account has, and then regret it five seconds later.
An easy way to prevent all these people from deleting their accounts irrationally would be to put a timer on heart attacks, so that it would take a week to die after having clicked the big, evil X. Maybe it could give a public message like:
"You see a man in his twenties throw up"
and then seven days after, should the account player not cancel the death, he would have a heart attack.
Stupidity is relative.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Just to tweak your suggestion: The characters should still do everything when they "die," like drop everything, etc. but just not be dead, but instead in a kind of catatonia for a certain period.

I do agree that it's too easy to destroy so much, and most people I think do regret it fairly quickly afterwards.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun May 18, 2008 12:48 pm

In several games (well at least Travian) when you set your account for deletion, for a day you can still cancel it.

Also some newbies cancel their whole account when one of their characters runs into trouble. It should be easier to delete a single character. It would still require help from PD but it would happen within the game interface. Currently there is no official source that would say PD can delete a character for you. There should be a button for "kill off this character" and when you click on it, it will take you to a page that asks you to fill out a valid reason, also saying that the request will be reviewed by a real person.
Not-so-sad panda
trexdino

Postby trexdino » Sun May 18, 2008 9:38 pm

*he nods* :lol:
I agree with both suggestions. I know that there have been some people who stopped playing, and then the next day they make a new account.
When you hope for something, you often believe in something. When you believe in something, you often have pride in it. Being proud often leads to a hating of some group.
As you can see, the Jedi are hypocrites.
Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Sun May 18, 2008 10:30 pm

SekoETC wrote:Also some newbies cancel their whole account when one of their characters runs into trouble... There should be a button for "kill off this character" and when you click on it, it will take you to a page that asks you to fill out a valid reason, also saying that the request will be reviewed by a real person.
Any examples of these "valid reasons?" What kind of "trouble" would want to a player to kill off their character? Sorry, I don't understand why those kind of things should happen.
Notice how weak and petty we are / In the grand fixture we come afar / Hey we can't help it / No denying the prerequisite for love / Your very existence / You're the source of my substenance / Slow down take your time and feel the / Flow
Sekar

Postby Sekar » Mon May 19, 2008 4:59 am

I think if they are stupid enough to press that X, they deserve to lose their characters right away. We already have a way to give someone a chance to think about losing their character. It is called starvation. I have killed several of my characters off that way, and I have been given many days to rethink my choice. I've even at times taken some food to give my characters a few extra days if I couldn't decide if I wanted them dead yet or not.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon May 19, 2008 11:10 am

SekoETC wrote:In several games (well at least Travian) when you set your account for deletion, for a day you can still cancel it.

Yeah, I actually like that form of the suggestion - just a one day delay before execution, and a cancel button ... Nice and simple to implement.

SekoETC wrote:Also some newbies cancel their whole account when one of their characters runs into trouble. It should be easier to delete a single character. It would still require help from PD but it would happen within the game interface. Currently there is no official source that would say PD can delete a character for you. There should be a button for "kill off this character" and when you click on it, it will take you to a page that asks you to fill out a valid reason, also saying that the request will be reviewed by a real person.

I don't like this one much. Players should not be deleting characters and creating an interface will only encourage it.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:15 am

I really like that suggestion as well, the one day delay, with a message that lets them know they have 24 hours to reconsider before the action will take effect and be forever irreversible.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:37 am

I like the 24 hour delay.. since most who regret it.. regret it so quickly...

I don't like the cancel a charri button either... if you get your charri into trouble , deal with it... They won't delete you charri if it is locked up for some reason, or in some sort of trouble anyways... (from my understanding)

..added.. but they shouldn't drop anything until they die.. dropping things would only encourage someone to quit...

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
marol

Postby marol » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:52 am

:arrow: Accepted Suggestions
(SRVPRC)
trexdino

Postby trexdino » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:55 am

Well, what exactly is accepted?, and planned on being implemented?
When you hope for something, you often believe in something. When you believe in something, you often have pride in it. Being proud often leads to a hating of some group.

marol

Postby marol » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:08 pm

One day period of delay, player could cancel his decision.
(SRVPRC)

trexdino

Postby trexdino » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:12 pm

okay, good

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Leo Luncid wrote:
SekoETC wrote:Also some newbies cancel their whole account when one of their characters runs into trouble... There should be a button for "kill off this character" and when you click on it, it will take you to a page that asks you to fill out a valid reason, also saying that the request will be reviewed by a real person.
Any examples of these "valid reasons?" What kind of "trouble" would want to a player to kill off their character? Sorry, I don't understand why those kind of things should happen.

About trouble, if you are a newbie and someone tells you not to pick stuff up, then you get pissed off and start overacting and whisper-rp grabbing people's genitals, get dragged in by them and continue rp'ing obscenities that honestly couldn't even be called roleplaying because roleplaying requires some realism and taking the other player(s) into account, when you realize that you were acting stupid then you might want to start again from a clean table. Based on a true story. It would take more guts to live on in a town with a guy whom you touched inappropriately, knowing that he won't forget, but no one else would know. Or you could agree that the rp never happened because it was auto-hitting in the first place.

Also if a character was getting raped or tortured or otherwise put through rp activities that were too heavy for the player's mental health, but it would be OOC-behaviour for the kidnapper to release them, then a player might rather wish to get their character have a heart attack than use days on a violent suicide attempt during which they might be exposed to written material that they are not ready to read. Although a good player would refrain from obscenities or threatening language if the player in the receiving end is expressing excessive anguish in real life, but it takes guts to tell someone their rp is scaring you because they might interpret it so that the player of the prisoner is trying to get their character off the hook through influencing the capturer through OOC messages. Or then people don't want to look soft.

Also I used to have a character that was in a town where all the action happened after my bedtime, so I often stayed up late to catch the active time and my mom didn't like that at all. So she told me to get rid of the character, and the character was discreetly trying to drop her food, but that was back when hunger and damage were the same thing and once you lost enough strength, it would show that :| or :( face, and people would give her food. She didn't have a reason to actually attempt suicide, so I gave her an rp'ed illness and finally got her deleted. One might argue that people should not have illnesses that are not programmed in the game, but such makes much more sense than healthy people dropping dead, and also creates activity which makes the game more interesting. Also I had another character that drowned herself. That carries a different message than stabbing yourself repeatedly, and besides back then it was pretty much impossible to kill yourself due to weakening from the damage.
Not-so-sad panda
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 am

Maybe this has been suggested before or maybe not. Anyway I have seen several unsub who if had a chance to have things explained might not have unsubbed or who just had it because something happening and a person unsubbing because of that.

It might be good if after pushing that button that you would have to wait a day or days before it actually happens, so in that time you might calm down and decide not to.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”