Jardinieres

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Addicted

Re: Jardinieres

Postby Addicted » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:56 am

EchoMan wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The first meaning of jardinière is also a large stand, pot, urn, or receptacle upon which, or into which, plants may be placed. Jardinieres tend to be highly decorative. They are often used for: a garden accent element; for large plants; and for raised culinary and herb gardens.

Until I played Cantr, I thought a jardiniere was French for a fish dish and a policeman.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 am

Addicted wrote:Until I played Cantr, I thought a jardiniere was French for a fish dish and a policeman.

Are they the same thing in French?
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:39 am

I remember when people used to say "justfu**inggoogleit.com/jardeniere, but ok, I'll help a little more. :)

Wikipedia wrote:The second meaning of jardinière is a culinary term, meaning a dish that is cooked or served with a mixture of spring vegetables, such as peas, carrots, and green beans.

The third meaning of jardinière, in French, is a name for the golden ground beetle, the European mole cricket and other species of beetles attacking plants in kitchen gardens.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am

EchoMan wrote:I remember when people used to say "justfu**inggoogleit.com/jardeniere, but ok, I'll help a little more. :)

Wikipedia wrote:The second meaning of jardinière is a culinary term, meaning a dish that is cooked or served with a mixture of spring vegetables, such as peas, carrots, and green beans.

The third meaning of jardinière, in French, is a name for the golden ground beetle, the European mole cricket and other species of beetles attacking plants in kitchen gardens.

Um, I was joking, but I guess you had to be there. I'm sorry.
(gendarme is Police in French anyway)
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:58 pm

alf wrote:Not nice eh? :|

Well, it would have helped not to use :roll: after a serious statement.

Anyway, I also was under the impression that a jardiniere was rather a vase than a large flowerpot (which is by the way supported by the manufacturing requirements) and putting a bouquet of lemons or aloe into it didn't seem like a serious suggestion.

Now that I know what you had in mind, why don't you simply use a flowerpot? Or is the water demand too high to solely use it as decoration?
Pretty in pink.
Theda
Administrator Emeritus/PD/Personnel Officer

Postby Theda » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 pm

I did not know to use emoticons in my sentences could removed the seriously of my words. Well, now I know that.

Regarding the jardinieres. No, it is not because water demand is simply because if there are roses and tulips, we could have more options. There aren't always roses and tulips to decorate the houses, sometimes there is only daisies or yes, aloe ..
"Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides."
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:02 pm

It's not emoticons in general that are a problem, but that particular one. It seems to spell out "Stupid question, idiot!", at least to me. I'm sorry if I misunderstood that. :)

A question to ProgD. Would it be possible to have open containers, that is, containers that list their contents on the objects page? We could then put e.g. roses, peppermint and sage into a jardiniere and see "Jardiniere (roses, peppermint, sage)".

(This would also allow storing food visibly on a plate, spoon, table etc.)
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm

That would be nice, but wouldn't we run into interface clutter issues?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I suggested something like that in a thread about altars as storage items but as I recall it got destroyed by offtopicness so badly that I wanted to lock it.

It would be cool if containers without lids or doors revealed their contents, or at least the most recently added content since that would be closest to the open side. If containers displayed piles of resources up to a certain weight percentage of their capacity, then people could also hide stuff in the back because the busiest onlookers would only look at the resources appearing on the objects page, and if something was described to hold meat and bones, then they might assume that it was filled with those and not bother to check for the iron stashed in the back. And the good part about piles of resources is that they get a new id when they're stored in a container, so the higher the id, the more recently the thing was added. Although if there was already something of the same type then they would merge.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Hmm, well, if you put 1g of 100 different resources in it, it would certainly look crowded, but listing the names of three or four resources behind the name of the item shouldn't be too bad. I guess we could have some kind of cap.

We wouldn't want it to apply to all kinds of containers, too. You can't look into a (closed) chest or box and that shouldn't change.
Pretty in pink.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Piscator wrote:Now that I know what you had in mind, why don't you simply use a flowerpot?

Because this is for roleplay, no gain, no machine production.

There is a difference between:

earthenware flowerpot (in use)

and

roses in a jardiniere
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Piscator wrote:We wouldn't want it to apply to all kinds of containers, too. You can't look into a (closed) chest or box and that shouldn't change.

Yeah, that's why I said to exclude containers with lids or doors (and other closed containers such as sacks). However things like open shelves, or why not barrels too, should reveal what's nearest to the edge or top.
Not-so-sad panda
Theda

Postby Theda » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, I go back to the top.

Daisies and buttercups to start?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Implemented the daisies and buttercups for consistency's sake. Other flower arrangements will have to wait until we have a way to let the player do it without us having to create an item for every possible variation.
Pretty in pink.
Theda

Postby Theda » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Thank you very much :D

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”