Listing clothes in a logical order

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Listing clothes in a logical order

Postby SekoETC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Currently clothes appear in the order in which the categories were implemented. It would be more logical if they were arranged from head to toe and outer layers before inner layers. It would require adding an extra column to the clothes table but I could implement this.

Suggested new order:

Hats
Masks
Earrings
Scarves
Necklaces (hidden by scarves)
Cloaks
Jackets
Aprons
Vests
Robes
Dresses
Shirts
Undershirts (hidden by shirts)
Belts
Bracelets
Gloves
Rings (hidden by gloves)
Skirts
Trousers
Underpants (hidden by trousers)
Socks
Shoes

Or if we can't reach a conclusion about the order, we might also consider a system that allows users to arrange the clothes as they please and select if for example they want something to cover something or not. Currently you can't even see if something is covered when viewing yourself. I think hidden clothing should be grayed out.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Re: Listing clothes in a logical order

Postby EchoMan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:14 pm

If you are talking about character page: Fine, I agree.

Id you are talking about clothin manufacturing page (Then my post should be split into a new suggestion): I would like the clothes system to get a new menu, like tools/vehicle/building manufacturing. I is way too long to scroll, and nowadays when browser-back-button is utterly useless it is a nuciance making clothing to begin with.Your list is fine, but that is all that should be visible, then you should be able to expand e.g. Hats and see what ats are available.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:19 pm

I've noticed that after the change, you can use the back links in the game and it doesn't just reload the page every second click as it used to do. It should be possible to have javascript menus now but it'll take more work than just this rearrangement issue. It always bugs me that you'd see someone's shoes before their dress.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 am

Seko, I approve the character description rearrangement, so if you want to do that, go ahead. Also, greying out hidden clothing is fine and useful.

It would be nice to have the clothing build menu similar to the machine and object menu, however.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:56 am

I wonder if it would be more sensible to sort by noticeability rather than going from top to bottom, e.g. having dresses first and rings last, but, to be honest, I don't feel very strongly about any particular order. I have actually no idea which order is applied at the moment.
Pretty in pink.
AlchemicRaker

Postby AlchemicRaker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 am

I like the idea of organizing the clothes view, but I'd like to take this chance to ask/suggest for an addition to the listing:

Icons, or a bolded word, preceding each description. So like, a hat's description would have "Hat - " in front of it, or a hat icon in front of it. Putting it in a table (so the icons and descriptions are in separate columns, but still aligned properly) might be nice too.

Cheers
- Natso
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 am

I agree on that. Some of the more elaborate descriptions make it somewhat hard to figure out what kind of garment it is sometimes. :)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 pm

The description for a sari is one of those. It made for a good conversation IC - excuse me, but what is that you're wearing?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Implemented now. I made it so that it also mentions the name of the item in bold before the description. Clothes that are hidden from anyone but the wearer are grayed out.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Great job. :)
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 pm

That's very nice! Looks good in my personalized skin too, but I couldn't find anyone with hidden clothing, but I'm sure that looks good too.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:51 pm

I noticed it was missing ul tags so I added those as well, and made the He/She wears part it's own paragraph to space it out a bit. I think the margin for the list could be narrower but that's a CSS issue. Looks like the list of items is also missing the ul tags, do you think I should add those as well? Technically it's wrong to use li tags outside ul or ol.

I'm not sure if the hidden clothing will be affected by stylesheets since I copied the code from where it defines if you have the tool a project needs or not. It says something like color:#cccccc rather than something like class="unavailable" or something like that.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I think I can get to it. :)

Code: Select all

html body center table tbody tr td ul li[color=#cccccc] {
 color: #66F;
}

or something like that. Missing tools should be red (attract detection) and not grey (avoid detection) though. ;)
AlchemicRaker

Postby AlchemicRaker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Can the li tags be marked with classes (based on their body slot)? Just a number or something... that would make it customizable for us.

Looks better already though

- Natso
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:49 pm

While you're at it, could you give the item list a makeover, too? Like, indent the list and grey out the items that aren't visible to others?
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”