Cotton gathering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Snake_byte

Cotton gathering

Postby Snake_byte » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:23 am

I was thinking of using a knife to speed up the gathering of cotton like grapes.
My old banner ;)
Mack

Postby Mack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:45 am

Problem is that grapes tend to be cut from the vine. Cotton was always plucked. Hence "Picking Cotton" So I don't think a knife would actually work.

In the game picking Cotton is still unrealistic. You needed a sack that was normally long and narrow and would drag behind you. You needed gloves to protect your hands as well from the brittle plant. It was long hard work.

Maybe if you made a Sac for picking cotton you could pick more, and if you have gloves you can pick even more, I doubt we could add damage to chars who picked it with out gloves though, but that would be realistic
I'm not an evil Vindictive genius. I just like to help Karma along some times.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:56 am

There ya go... Hemp work gloves, cotton gloves, and leather gloves could be used to speed it up then...

I don't know what you mean by the bag helping you carry more. As there are bags that do help you carry more...
My old banner ;)
Mack

Postby Mack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:02 am

Snake_byte wrote:There ya go... Hemp work gloves, cotton gloves, and leather gloves could be used to speed it up then...

I don't know what you mean by the bag helping you carry more. As there are bags that do help you carry more...

Well you would use a cotton sack with a strap around your shoulder that is at least 20 feet long. That's how it was done. If the sac was needed in order to pick cotton period, like a tool, it would make sense. But I think it would limit the use of cotton. So just using gloves to speed it up, allowing you to pick more, that would be the best method I'd think.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:11 pm

Except for the fact that clothes are a separate type of item and can not be used as tools. There could be special cotton picking gloves, but you wouldn't be able to wear those, making the solution slightly unsatisfactory.

An even better solution lies in my to-do pile though and I hope to be able to implement it soon.
Pretty in pink.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:28 pm

Oh. So you're doing something about the cotton already? Great! :D
My old banner ;)
Mack

Postby Mack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:48 pm

Piscator wrote:An even better solution lies in my to-do pile though and I hope to be able to implement it soon.

Well can you elaborate so we aren't making more suggestions on something that is in the to-do pile, and to curb our curiosity? Okay, more for the latter reason lol
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Well, our idea was to simply double the gathering rate. People have been complaining about it for the time cotton exists (I believe the first threads are five years old) and I really see no reason why it should be that low. It will be still more expensive than hemp, but at least cheaper than silk.

In fact, I just changed the value. Enjoy.
Pretty in pink.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:47 pm

OMG :shock: Thank you very much!
My old banner ;)
Mack

Postby Mack » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Still unrealistic, but hey, It can't be perfect right. I know there are restrictions due to game mechanics. But hey, this is still better. Thank you
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:33 pm

Well, a Cantrian gram is not an earth gram. It's probably better to think of it as "unit" in most cases. A proper balance is much more important than realistic weights.
Pretty in pink.
Surly

Postby Surly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:45 pm

For what it's worth, which is apparently not much, I don't want cotton changed. So cotton's more labour intensive than the other cloth/string sources... deal with it.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm

It wasn't tat it was two difficult. It's just unrealistic...
Obviously if I want to get more string, rope, sails for my time I'm going to go with hemp. There's no difference between the two, except for time. Therefor one's actual cloth is more valuable. I like it like that.
Cotton shouldn't be as easy to pick, you don't just cut down and use the whole stalk and leaves like hemp. But as I said, it was just too unrealistic...
My old banner ;)
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Cotton cloth used to be six times more expensive than hemp cloth. Now it is only three times as expensive which seems a little more balanced. There's also a noticable difference to silk cloth now, which is about 50% more expensive than cotton cloth in terms of days of work. It's also more preferable to use cotton ropes now than to use silk ropes.
Pretty in pink.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Wait huh, how is this implemented? O.o

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”