Reviving Old Accounts

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Doug R.

Reviving Old Accounts

Postby Doug R. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:58 pm

I'd like it if returning players would have the option to revive an old account instead of having to apply for a new one. Their request would have to be reviewed like a normal application, but it would let us know right away if it was a returning player or not.

Maybe add a Former User link under the New User link on the main page.

The page it goes to would be the same, except it would have an input box for their old ID number and password.

This would help the PD a lot.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 pm

If all my charries could be switched over properly I'd revert np...
My old banner ;)
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:16 pm

Question: What if you forget these things? (Old ID and/or Password)
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Dudel wrote:Question: What if you forget these things? (Old ID and/or Password)

Make a new user?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Snake_byte wrote:If all my charries could be switched over properly I'd revert np...

PM me your account numbers, and I'll do it.

@catpurr - there could be a button for not remembering information, maybe. When we do account revivals now, we have to determine if the applicant is actually the person that had the old account, which is more possible than not. If they remember the password, it's absolute proof, and PD has that much less work to do.

If they don't know # or pass, they could put in their name or old email address into a text field to help identifying them.
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:37 pm

I was reenacted due of giving the same email in a new application.
joo

Postby joo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 pm

The email address is something that someone is unlikely to forget (unlike a user ID or password from years ago) and is also a good way of authenticating people by sending a key to the address.
rconley

Postby rconley » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:10 pm

We used to do this for former players when I was on pd. They would contact us via email with the request and a programming member would have to open the old acct so that they can use their old acct number.

But I'd agree the Former user and new user links is a great idea and yes...it would help the pd out.
<Viktor> someone asks my career my answer is "full time cantriian"
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:37 pm

We already have the contact form so instead of writing a new form that would be processed by the same people anyway, couldn't we just put a disclaimer on the new player page that says: "Note: If you have played Cantr in the past, please use the contact form (link) instead. Your message should include the following information: the email address used to create the account (if it differs from the one you're using now), the account id (if you can remember it)" and what ever other information is considered necessary.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:06 pm

I suppose we could. It's just that people don't read. Maybe we could put in in () next to the new player link.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:26 pm

This is mainly a cosmetic suggestion, right? Since ProgD will already resurrect accounts on request.

This should definitely be moved to accepted suggestions.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:57 pm

T.A.F.K.A. Surly wrote:This is mainly a cosmetic suggestion, right? Since ProgD will already resurrect accounts on request.

It's mainly to encourage others to resurrect old accounts as some people, like myself, wouldn't know you could and/or would forget such things.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Dudel wrote:
T.A.F.K.A. Surly wrote:This is mainly a cosmetic suggestion, right? Since ProgD will already resurrect accounts on request.

It's mainly to encourage others to resurrect old accounts as some people, like myself, wouldn't know you could and/or would forget such things.
Yeah I got that. But the suggestion is mainly just to make it obvious to ex-players that they can just resurrect their old accounts, there is no real extra programming involved. That it pretty much the definition of a cosmetic suggestion.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”