Beer?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

berserk9779

Postby berserk9779 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:50 pm

Indio no.9 wrote:yeh well I aint, vodka is flavoured with potatoes and tequila is flavoured with catkus juice. Prove me wrong

Vodka is not potatoes flavored. Vodka is a spirit produced either with grain (rye or wheat) or potatoes (it is usually called polish vodka but it isn' produced only in poland)

Here is an intresting page that explain it all. It also talks about the polish "invention" of using potatoes instead of rye to reduce costs.
Unbelivable, but it seems that polish people have invented something of their own mind

http://www.polishvodka.com.pl/history-v ... uction.htm
Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:03 am

I found this information on the net and thought it would end any dispute about whiskey :lol:

Moonshine is fermented corn mash. It contains not less than 80% corn and is distilled to 10 proof, or 80% alcohol. Recipes for corn mash whiskey were brought to America from Europe by the early settlers and in Colonial America whiskey mash was so popular that it was used as currency. It was easier to transport corn mash by wagon than the actual corn so the crop was often distilled before shipping. George Washington made his fortune selling corn whiskey.
Some are friends of the Wolf.....others are Dinner
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:16 am

Lone Wolf wrote:I found this information on the net and thought it would end any dispute about whiskey :lol:

Moonshine is fermented corn mash. It contains not less than 80% corn and is distilled to 10 proof, or 80% alcohol. Recipes for corn mash whiskey were brought to America from Europe by the early settlers and in Colonial America whiskey mash was so popular that it was used as currency. It was easier to transport corn mash by wagon than the actual corn so the crop was often distilled before shipping. George Washington made his fortune selling corn whiskey.

But corn is a grass native to the Americas and not Europe. I'm not to sure if that site is right. Perhaps, they meant that the recipe was brought over and used with corn to make whiskey. That also doesn't make sense in that I always thought that Europeans hated corn and always used it as animal feed because they thought it was below human consumption.
Psycho Pixie

Postby Psycho Pixie » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:23 am

Indio no.9 wrote:no not you freako pixie.

*blows kisses*

Spasmatic psycho moster pixie girl from outspace! thats me!

we luv you!!!!!!!

PsPi
Here I am. BITE ME. or not, in fact, never mind, dont want some wacko taking me up on the offer. Only non wacko's may apply for bite allowance.. no garentee that you will be granted said allowance, but you can try.
berserk9779

Postby berserk9779 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:36 am

Corn is not really apreciated in europe, that is true, but not everywhere.
The region i come from in northern Italy has got a tipical dish called
"polenta" that is made entirely with corn flour.
By the way, I am now in Peru and you should see the crazy varieties of corn thay have here.

Like PURPLE corn. (serch the net for "chicha morada" or "maiz morado")
Sho

Postby Sho » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:20 am

Whoa, there are formal standards for moonshine? Doesn't that sort of contradict its popular meaning of home brew?

Apples were originally cultivated in the US mainly for making hard cider. It is only in the last century or so that apples became popular in the United States eaten fresh. Before then, grafting (almost a must if you want edible apples, apparently) was impractical and apples were rarely eaten fresh. The "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" thing dates from that period. So I guess apples should also be a way of making alcohol.

The only problem is: There seem to be so many ways to make alcohol. If alcohol gets implemented in all of its forms, it wouldn't be much of a trade good because virtually any food (in real life, that is) can be used to make alcohol and therefore any place could make it. What does everyone else think?
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:59 am

Actually most plants can be used to make alcohol.
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:21 am

Nothing like a refreshing oak tree cocktail.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:24 am

Oh, I finally found out what the meaning of my last name was (Lenseth) and it is 'the lord of the oaks'.

Not that has anything to do with the topic but Thomas just reminded me about this.

Anyways, I would imagine that you can ferment alcohol from the leaves of trees.
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:42 am

[quote="Indio no.9Actually Whiskey is an exception and usually caktuses(tequila) and potatoes(vodka) arent refered to as the Alchohol plant. Not where I live anyway.[/quote]

i don't know what rubbish you drink but if your drinking vodka don't for one made from spuds go for a wheat based vodka less likely to send you blind and it tastes a heck of a lot better aswell. the potatoe vodka is just the stuff the russian's send oversea's. kind of like foster's nobody in australia would drink the rubbish but other places round the world drink it by the bucket load. why send your good stuff oversea's keep it for yourself to drink :lol:
boomhaeur

Postby boomhaeur » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:47 am

wow.... this went a lot more hostile then I expected...

all I wanted was a nice tasty IC drink!

:: smiles, takes a sip of his beer ::

nutcases! all of you! :D
Spectrus_Wolfus

Postby Spectrus_Wolfus » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:48 am

almost anything can be used to make alchahol my nan's neighbour used to make dandelion wine and they'd sit there for day's after it finished and get plastered on it
1959 Apache

Postby 1959 Apache » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:03 am

Sho wrote:Whoa, there are formal standards for moonshine? Doesn't that sort of contradict its popular meaning of home brew?

They weren't 'standards' per se, more like necessities. Most people make shine to sell it. If you try to distill to a higher proof, the liquid becomes increasingly volatile and you risk blowing your still up. That brings the Revenuers down and you go to jail.
If you don't distill up to that proof, you don't have a competitive product and it doesn't sell. Advertising isn't advisable, so your product has to be as good or better than someone elses.
If you drive an old Chevy, you're all right by me!
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:13 am

Spectrus_Wolfus wrote:almost anything can be used to make alchahol my nan's neighbour used to make dandelion wine and they'd sit there for day's after it finished and get plastered on it

Yes, that is done around where I live too. The stems of dandelions are good to eat too if you are ever in a survival situation. But don't eat the flower part.
west

Postby west » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:26 am

Don't think our man Indio knows much about alcohol.

Not that I know that much either, but I have a friend in the dorm with me tonight.

Looks like this. Image
Last edited by west on Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”