Fix Character Description Page

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

psychowico

Re: Fix Character Description Page

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:17 pm

I am not understand you. You have problem with our suggestion forum system? And tell that players should have description, but their don't make it? But not force, just encourgage? You don't tell us any way to do this.

As far as I was ever concerned... this game was a rp one.. No?
Funny that I seem to be the only one then, in the last posts that thinks that having some form of 'appearance' would be useful here, and it 'does' cause probl;ems with playing some chars.

:shock:
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 pm

You're right... I don't think you understand at all, but this, I think is partly to do with nuance, and if I appeared to mislead you, I apologise.

As an aside, If I choose to make a suggestion, it is not my responsibility to moot the solution at the same time.
I won't be making any such suggestion, as it seems pointless to me now, as the problem seems to be a one of a mind-set anyway

Thanks
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 pm

We have many suggestion and disscuss them, many was accepted to this time and we have it in game.. I don't see you point.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

*shrugs* :arrow:
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:48 pm

As an aside, If I choose to make a suggestion, it is not my responsibility to moot the solution at the same time.

Yes, but people give usually their proposition of solution. If somebody speak to me - "fix this, this is wrong, i don't know how, but something is wrong with this" - I do not know what he is exacly want.

the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:29 pm

As much as I enjoy and prefer to have descriptions to read, I think it's just one of those things up to the player.

I suppose they could put a line in when you create the character that says, "Hey, don't forget you can make a character description!" and maybe slip similar lines in different places. It's the sort of thing that would be great to slip into a tutorial for new players, but difficult to think of places to put it where older players would pay heed to it.

Or maybe this would be a better idea: Perhaps when the character is created, you could be taken to a page with the description box and offered the chance to put in a short description before you get to your character. If you don't want to put one in right off, you can just navigate through to the character page. That would bring it to people's attention so that they might remember to go back later and do it. There will still be lots of people that won't want to bother with it, but then the people that are unaware or forgetful might use it more.

I'm not really sure that this particular thread is the best to use for the suggestion though, since it is already in the implemented forum, so that can get confusing (or was it not in the implemented one when you posted?).
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

The character description thing bugs me a lot, so I searched for it, and just bumped the thread.
It was obviously a mistake, but then again... I would have just been roasted for not searching.

I know it's been raised before too, but within a thread, and to be honest, don't have time to wade through a billion posts, just to bump the wrong thread again.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Mistakes happen.

As far as "roasting" goes, it's probably good to not take it personally when people redirect. Most of the time, it's just an attempt to be helpful, not people trying to be rude or mean.

Sometimes people do get a little rude or the way they write something feels a little rude (even if they didn't mean it rudely), but it's still better to just focus on the redirection rather than the way they go about it. Unless there are direct insults, I try to read things neutrally. And if there are direct insults, I try to ignore that person (though I fail sometimes).

It sounds like you searched and didn't find an appropriate thread for this subject. So you chose what you thought was best for it. That's all anyone should expect. There shouldn't be any hard feelings on either side if there is a better option for placement presented by someone else.

The tone this post should be read in is neutral, as I have no strong feelings one way or another and am simply presenting another POV.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:08 am

Since no one seems to have understood it, can you please explain what your suggestion is?

To randomly generate a description for characters?

Lock the accounts of everyone who fails to put a description on their characters?

What?

:)
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:18 am

Well said, Hermit! I really like your suggestions on how to bring the description option to the attention of players. They sound easy to implement, and would achieve what curious is suggesting, added encouragement for players to use these descriptions.

I have a char with another who has lost their description. I don't know if it was on purpose or not, but it's awkward to say anything about it. I have had someone asl me ooc'ly to fill one in, and I was glad to do it....sometimes I get lazy, but it really does help with rp, body type/size and height, mostly. But still, it was awkward to have to do that.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:30 pm

EchoMan wrote:Since no one seems to have understood it, can you please explain what your suggestion is?

To randomly generate a description for characters?

Lock the accounts of everyone who fails to put a description on their characters?

What?

:)

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:I suppose they could put a line in when you create the character that says, "Hey, don't forget you can make a character description!" and maybe slip similar lines in different places. It's the sort of thing that would be great to slip into a tutorial for new players, but difficult to think of places to put it where older players would pay heed to it.

Or maybe this would be a better idea: Perhaps when the character is created, you could be taken to a page with the description box and offered the chance to put in a short description before you get to your character. If you don't want to put one in right off, you can just navigate through to the character page. That would bring it to people's attention so that they might remember to go back later and do it. There will still be lots of people that won't want to bother with it, but then the people that are unaware or forgetful might use it more.

I think something more like this, Echoman. :P And I understood what curious was suggesting just fine (unless I wasn't, but I'd hope to be corrected if I wasn't).
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 am

I vote for a topic split, from the newer posts on(curious'), into suggestions.

Please? Thanks! :D

Edit- Ftr I understood and agree with curious' suggestion, and definitely Hermi's!
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”