Account deleting

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

witia1

Account deleting

Postby witia1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Few weeks ago I've lost my account because someone, probably, saw my ID and password in public place ( my University provide access to internet via computers located in public place ) and that person have deleted my account. So I think that good thing will be some protection from this. For example 24-48h countdown when after log in to account user can resign from this action.
Rest In Pieces.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Are you sure you just didn't idle out? Accounts auto-delete after 20 days of inactivity.

Anyway, something like this has been suggested before to prevent emotional knee-jerk unsubbing, and I'm pretty sure it got shot down.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
witia1

Postby witia1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm sure. I log in at Thursday on computer at University and at Friday my account was deleted. Last login was from IP assigned to my University but half hour after my log out.
Rest In Pieces.
NaruShadow

Postby NaruShadow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 am

I still like this idea, I mean I have no intention of ever deleting my account, but I've had a "friend" once decide to hack an account of mine on another game and screw it all up...he's not my friend anymore lol. But it should maybe be set up to send a confirmation to your email no? That way you click delete, and then you have to log in to your email account and click "Yes, delete my Cantr II account" or something.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines... :P
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:50 am

NaruShadow wrote: But it should maybe be set up to send a confirmation to your email no? That way you click delete, and then you have to log in to your email account and click "Yes, delete my Cantr II account" or something.

Yes, that is a good idea, although there is no substitute for properly logging out of your accounts on public computers, or changing your passwords periodically.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
chase02

Postby chase02 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Doug R. wrote:Yes, that is a good idea, although there is no substitute for properly logging out of your accounts on public computers, or changing your passwords periodically.

These are good general suggestions but don't address the issue here - someone can see you type your password, cancel your account and you have no recourse.
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 pm

How about you just get rid of the ability for a person to delete an account? There's no point in it anyway. Let characters just die off "naturally", in the game.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 pm

I've been thinking of this idea, there would be a button for each character that says something like "I'm SO bored!" When you click on it, it would increment the character's unhappiness counter. Every once in a while the game would select some characters whose unhappiness counter is >0 and roll a random number. If the value is smaller than the value of the unhappiness counter, the character will get a fatal illness like cancer or heart disease.

How fast the illness advances would depend on the value of the unhappiness counter. If the number is very high then the character would die within a year, while if the player stops clicking on the button, the value will start decreasing. In the early stages of the illness there would be a chance of getting better, but only if your unhappiness counter is at 0. If the disease progresses further, the character will face certain death but could live up to ten years if the player stops clicking the button and allows the counter "cool down".

When your days are numbered, you would work harder to reach your goals and might feel more motivated to play your last years as well as you can.
Not-so-sad panda
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm

SekoETC wrote:I've been thinking of this idea, there would be a button for each character that says something like "I'm SO bored!" When you click on it, it would increment the character's unhappiness counter. Every once in a while the game would select some characters whose unhappiness counter is >0 and roll a random number. If the value is smaller than the value of the unhappiness counter, the character will get a fatal illness like cancer or heart disease.

How fast the illness advances would depend on the value of the unhappiness counter. If the number is very high then the character would die within a year, while if the player stops clicking on the button, the value will start decreasing. In the early stages of the illness there would be a chance of getting better, but only if your unhappiness counter is at 0. If the disease progresses further, the character will face certain death but could live up to ten years if the player stops clicking the button and allows the counter "cool down".

When your days are numbered, you would work harder to reach your goals and might feel more motivated to play your last years as well as you can.

That sounds complicated as hell. If I don't like a character I just starve it to death.
chase02

Postby chase02 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 am

Idriveayugo wrote:How about you just get rid of the ability for a person to delete an account? There's no point in it anyway. Let characters just die off "naturally", in the game.

I like this a lot. I may have to borrow it ;)

Perhaps when your last character dies, the account dies too. That way if you know you're down to one you should spawn another if you plan to keep playing with that account (although, it makes no difference to start another in theory - apart from the approval period).
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:50 am

chase02 wrote:
I like this a lot. I may have to borrow it ;)

Or you just like me a lot, hence the wink.

I have patent pending on all my ideas by the way.
chase02

Postby chase02 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 am

Idriveayugo wrote:I have patent pending on all my ideas by the way.

see you in court then darling ;)

btw take it to PM before we get in trouble again
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:31 am

Hmm. When I made that password page I wasn't really thinking of account security.

What if we replaced the password with a standard private question/answer?

Like those:
"What is your mothers maiden name?"
"What is the name of your first pet?"
"At what high school did you graduate?"
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:33 am

I always forget those... most people do, right? lol
Read about my characters by following this link.
suchy
Location: Under your bed, waiting for you to turn off the light

Postby suchy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:36 am

I like the idea with confirmation link sent to your email.
You still stood there screaming
No one caring about these words you tell
My friend, before your voice is gone
One man's fun is another's hell!

Wyjdź z domu. Może pod twoim blokiem napierdalają się magowie.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”