Do we really need to limit people's minutes?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:12 pm

I think it would make the game more fun if some newspawn running in and out of 20+ buildings would be so exhausted afterwards that you could drag them to jail even if you were the only person awake. It's totally annoying how the game forces you to resort to violence because it's often impossible for a single person to stop a hyperactive newbie from running around and let them know that they might be breaking the laws. Also if picking things up gave you tiredness, people would be more likely to only steal things that are actually worth something instead of picking up everything they can reach.

I as a player am exhausted if I need to move 200k of something (it's a big amount in Cantr) and I also rp that my charrie is exhausted, but it's silly that they actually aren't. So if I rp that I need to rest because I've almost run out of minutes, someone might look at my guy and think "what are they talking about, you don't look tired!"

No one ever suggested that talking would increase tiredness or consume an action point. I think talking should be encouraged and unlimited, although some people might disagree, the people who are afraid Cantr would turn into a chatroom. To address that problem it would be good to implement the option to temporarily ignore certain people or actions. Observing the events would still be recorded so that when you turn off ignore, you would see the events that you couldn't see earlier.

I assume the minimum tiredness a person can be given is 0.01 so if picking things up/dragging them would give tiredness, it would be better if it was by the kilo and not by the gram. But if people started going around the system, only picking up 999 grams a time to avoid getting any tiredness, that would cause more queries to be run and more lag, so it should be rounded up.
Not-so-sad panda
Cherize

Postby Cherize » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:47 am

Some people better hope sex doesn't start tiring them out. :twisted:
NaruShadow

Postby NaruShadow » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:21 am

As I've said I do like this idea, but if the tiredness thing is put in to affect, then I think things such as tea should be made more widely available in order to compensate so we dont all start dropping like flies. :D
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines... :P
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:32 am

Reaching 100% tiredness doesn't kill you, Naru. It just makes you crappy at fighting, dragging and defense.
Not-so-sad panda
NaruShadow

Postby NaruShadow » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:40 am

Oh....riight....I knew that >___>

lol well I still think tea should be made more widely available, since you can't exactly stop what you're doing and rest in some cases.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines... :P

Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:30 pm

SekoETC wrote:I think it would make the game more fun if some newspawn running in and out of 20+ buildings would be so exhausted afterwards that you could drag them to jail even if you were the only person awake. It's totally annoying how the game forces you to resort to violence because it's often impossible for a single person to stop a hyperactive newbie from running around and let them know that they might be breaking the laws. Also if picking things up gave you tiredness, people would be more likely to only steal things that are actually worth something instead of picking up everything they can reach.

So make it only effect newspawns then...should we really punish town leaders and traders everywhere in order to make things slightly harder for the occasional petty thief? :?

Mainly though I just don't see what this has to do with the OP anymore, if it's not about removing minutes or the side effects of removing minutes or how to deal with the side effects shouldn't it go in a different thread or something?

I as a player am exhausted if I need to move 200k of something (it's a big amount in Cantr) and I also rp that my charrie is exhausted, but it's silly that they actually aren't. So if I rp that I need to rest because I've almost run out of minutes, someone might look at my guy and think "what are they talking about, you don't look tired!"

Why do you care what the tiredness bar says...or more specificly why do you care if somebody else cares what he tiredness bar says? You can RP a headache or something without actually being injured can't you? And I know I wouldn't bother clicking the character to check that in the first place, that's another potential five minutes loading...if someone tells me they're 'tired' it's either RP or they're saying they're low on minutes/have to log off for awhile in an IC way. It'd be pretty shitty RP for someone to go 'oh heys ur tiredeness bar is at 0% wtf are u talking about' anyway.
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Marian wrote:
Mainly though I just don't see what this has to do with the OP anymore, if it's not about removing minutes or the side effects of removing minutes or how to deal with the side effects shouldn't it go in a different thread or something?

My thoughts exactly. I just want people to stop relogging in all the time lagging down the server and my suggestion was suggested as an experiment to end that.

The other suggestion, while it could possibly improve the speed of the server, does not have anything to do with what I discussed.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 pm

As to the OP, does anyone actually use all 200 minutes? Especially given that idling on some pages now doesn't use them up? I would wonder where all this time comes from...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:40 pm

I use it a lot because I can't be bothered to log in and out, I play Cantr for the fun NOT to be annoyed and stressed at waiting 10 minutes to be finally logged back in and then another 20 to get in one of my cahracters
Read about my characters by following this link.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Lag eats minutes so does checking character pages, reading notes, checking the people in the town, looking at the objects on the ground, picking up said objects, and a LOT of other RANDOM things.

Its how the minutes get 'taken away' is what the 'issue is' not the minutes themselves.... or how I see it.

Still 100% for abolishing minutes altogether.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:43 pm

I rarely use up all my minutes, so the time limit is absolutely unnecessary in my case 90% of the time. The time limit only kicks in on the rare, interesting days which is particularly annoying. It's like going to a party but having to leave at 10pm.

I'm all for trying to get rid of the limit for a while.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:56 pm

I have not yet used all my minutes, but only because I refresh/logout/login all the time to save them. If I didn't, I'd use 200 minutes every day - easily.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 pm

Doug R. wrote:I have not yet used all my minutes, but only because I refresh/logout/login all the time to save them. If I didn't, I'd use 200 minutes every day - easily.

And I bet that lags down the server (I do the same thing so don't think i'm attacking you).
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I would guess that it does.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
chase02

Postby chase02 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:23 am

Doug R. wrote:I have not yet used all my minutes, but only because I refresh/logout/login all the time to save them. If I didn't, I'd use 200 minutes every day - easily.

I do this, yet would still use up all 200 minutes probably 70% of the time (excluding those days when hardly any chars light up at all). In fact I feel compelled to use every single minute, so probably spend longer on the server than I would WITHOUT a minute counter. XD

I do find it makes some character career choices plain impossible (I've given up trying to run a town because it was eating chunks of ~140 minutes every day I did the daily town cleanup/project setup).

I'm all for abolishing it, I think it discourages an active, contributing user base, and in terms of server load, I seriously doubt it is doing anything apart from increasing it.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”