Drop All

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Idriveayugo

Drop All

Postby Idriveayugo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 am

Instead of clicking drop and then clicking continue to drop a resource, why don't we just have an option where you can click "drop all" and it drops all of that resource. It may help reduce the amount of click requests on the cantr server.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 am

Isn't it rather rare that people drop everything?
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 am

I'm not talking about dropping EVERYTHING. I'm referring to just dropping everything of a specific resource. Like say a person has cotton, iron, steel, and copper in their inventory. Now let's say the person wants to drop the cotton into a building. Instead of clicking drop, then clicking continue to drop all of the cotton, the person can instead just click drop all.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:17 am

Ah, that makes more sense :) ... We could reduce the page loads anyway dramatically by using JavaScript and have the form for the amount appear on the list of objects when you click on drop, so we don't need a new page for *every* drop of a resource. Wouldn't that be better?
Miri

Postby Miri » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:55 am

It would be, although I'm a bit warry about introducing Java... :?
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:02 am

In fact JavaScript is not Java, it just uses the name for commercial reasons.
I think ...
joo

Postby joo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Yes, JS is completely different in that it comes with every (modern) browser and in fact is already used in several places in the game (the floating char descriptions, the manufacturing tree and the autorefresh functionality).

If it is possible for something like this to be implemented, then I think it would do the game a lot of good.
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Boo ya. Idea accepted!
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:09 pm

To be sure, this is the accepted version:

Jos Elkink wrote:We could reduce the page loads anyway dramatically by using JavaScript and have the form for the amount appear on the list of objects when you click on drop, so we don't need a new page for *every* drop of a resource. Wouldn't that be better?

;) ... but I will take your original suggestion into account so that that should also be possible very quickly, with few clicks.
marol

Postby marol » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Mixed encoding used in database won't allow using AJAX.
(SRVPRC)
joo

Postby joo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Would it be possible to covert it all to Unicode?
marol

Postby marol » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Yes, but it would require to determine actual encoding of each note, character name, location name etc. It's not a trivial task. How to find the encoding of the note? Depending on location? Language of its owner?
(SRVPRC)

joo

Postby joo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:36 pm

I do not know much on the subject, but the way which seems most logical to me would be to identify certain key characters which are used by each of the language groups - such as specific polish characters - and select and encoding that would display those correctly. And if that fails, I suppose the language group where the note exists or the language of the character who has assigned dynamic names could be used as well.

It couldn't be much worse than it is at the moment - when some characters cannot be displayed by browsers of those from other language groups. I suppose cut your losses and implement a better system before the problem escalates more?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:05 pm

joo wrote:I suppose cut your losses and implement a better system before the problem escalates more?

You mean, even if we lose half the notes in the game, take your losses?? :-)

I think we can come up with better solutions ... Marol is just saying it is a difficult problem that doesn't have a simple solution - he didn't say it's impossible to solve :)
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Re: Drop All

Postby Greek » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:16 am

Implemented.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”