Participation in projects...

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

ezz

Participation in projects...

Postby ezz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 am

Why doesn't your participation in a project end automatically when you leave the area (enter/leave a building or vehicle)?

I often go to the buildings/vehicle menu, see where I want to go, click and then realise my mistake. cancel the project, go back into the buildings menu and then enter the building...
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:17 am

Yeah, I agree :) ... Or perhaps an "are you sure?" kind of thing?
Ice-Man

Postby Ice-Man » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:43 am

You can press X on project and without waiting for page to reload go to buildings menu.
ImageImage
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 am

Yeah... instead of getting the newspawn query "I can't go in there" you'll be getting complaints that they've been somehow deprived of their project and it's resources.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 am

Yeah, but what if you had a small popup window - javascript based so that it doesn't require a reload of the page - that just says "watch out, you're working on a project, are you sure?" ... then we have both issues solved, right?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Right. It's just that the programming department doesn't seem to actually program these days, so who would write the code?
Not-so-sad panda
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Of course it's the suggestion itself that counts, not whether it can or will be implemented soon.

Maybe adding an 'autodrop'-tickbox associated with any movement button would do the job.
When you tick this box, then click on the movement-button, any running project will automatically be dropped and movement executed. Maybe a message telling the player that a project in fact has been dropped should appear on the next page.
If you don't tick the box (and you are working on a project), an error message will appear, reminding you of the running project.

I personally hate popup-boxes, asking whether i am sure. They should only be used for really important, irreversible actions (like the big X).
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:15 am

SekoETC wrote:Right. It's just that the programming department doesn't seem to actually program these days, so who would write the code?

Yeah, this is just about moving to accepted suggestions or not ;-) ... And it's a nice easy task - good for an aspirant programmer ...
Rossato

Postby Rossato » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:
SekoETC wrote:Right. It's just that the programming department doesn't seem to actually program these days, so who would write the code?

Yeah, this is just about moving to accepted suggestions or not ;-) ... And it's a nice easy task - good for an aspirant programmer ...

*raise his hand* Me! Me! Me! :lol:
Não vai dar tempo!!
joo

Postby joo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm

If there are any programming tasks that need to be done, I could help out if needed. Of course, I'd probably have to join the Programming Department first, which would require people to trust me, etc... etc... :roll:
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:34 pm

joo, you can use the application form for the ProgD to get that process started ...
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Sure joo, do that and probably by Halloween you'll get a response if ever. 8)
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face."
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeah ProgD isn't exactly inviting. I mean I can see their forums since I'm RD and they haven't posted anything in ages. Talk about a secret club... I mean seriously, you need to be staff before you see those forums so how much danger is there? People could work on code together like teamwork if there wasn't this mentality that you need to prove yourself before you get to see any code.
Not-so-sad panda
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:59 pm

:lol:
I was talking about the application process, Seko. What use is there to invite people to help in Cantr if no one takes your petition seriously? I would expect an answer after applying Jan 31, but hey... perhaps I'm being too demanding, who knows? A simply: "No thanks, you are not qualified" would do for me.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face."
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Code: Select all

<script>

function dropProject(caller_btn)
{
//check here if the person is working on a project
//if not, return true, else throw the alert

return confirm ('Leaving this area will end your participation on your current project. Proceed anyway?');

}
</script>

//glue to the form opening tag:

onSubmit="return dropProject(this)"

And naturally it would have to show the button even when a person is on project.. and.. do some project dropping on the enter page before it moves the person. Oh yeah and the message should be translatable.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”