Game mechanics regarding spawning

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Cdls

Game mechanics regarding spawning

Postby Cdls » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Okay...this is in regard to a topic I have in general...

What I suggest is some sort of calculation derived spawn locater. Obviously this isnt a representation of Cantr, nor is it drawn out too well but you get the idea of locations. Each area divided by a letter (A,B,C and so on) with each area broken down into regions (1,2,3 and so on)

Maybe something can be programmed to do something like

if player has char in location A1-spawn denied (auto check for new location)

The areas could be drawn so that it could account for the chars a player can play and since the area is big enough to distribute (as Im being told) it shouldnt be hard to map this out.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm

It already works something like that... you oughtn't get spawns too close to your other chars unless you spawn them at the same time. Give some time between them.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Sanchez, I was under the impression that spawning was completely random.

So if I understand correctly:

Code: Select all

You create a new char
Database selects location
Database needs time to refresh and update player locations

If that is correct, would it be easy to add something that would not allow a player to create a new char until the database had time to refresh the new data? That way, there would be less chance for them to spawn so close together (or even used as a bug to try and get them close together)?
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:13 am

Spawn limits are in place for new players, but after that only the 40-day rule about replacing a very young char will prevent you from spawning a few at once. I would like to see at least a one day limit, as I agree with you if you have an individual alone for a while you're more likely to pay attention to him and increase his chance of survival. But I guess we just trust players who've had 15 chars to behave responsibly and create new chars to play as they are, and not just to select skills or locations...
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 am

I agree with Sanchez. I've only had 8 chars in my 3 years of playing, and even my early ones were spaced out over several weeks.
As for spreading them out, this shouldn't be difficult in the English region, but some of the language zones are very restricted, I believe - I'm not sure why that can't be changed, except that the present spawn rule is that thre must be chars there already, so it would have to be artificially done - and why not? Cantrians don't generally notice when new animals appear, when they can't move (due to lag) and will accept without question that vehicles suddenly need fuel... so a teleportation of a town to an uninhabited island should pass without Cantrian comment.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 am

As Sanchez states the spawning routines do take into account character proximity when determining the new spawn location.

The loop-hole which is disccussed here has been closed - Characters don't become active until they are explicitedly accessed by the player and
these pending ghost characters were not checked when determining proximity - they are now.

It is still possible to spawn in the same location as an existing character but that will be rarer and out of the players control.

Moved to Implemented Suggestions
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 pm

As far as I know, characters on roads are not included in these checks, is that still the case?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 pm

No they are not included
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:48 pm

So if you want to spread your charries out, make sure they're all in a location before making a new character (I once had one spawn in a town I had just left).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”