Dynamic character description

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Yes - I know that, but I obviously meant JavaScript in this instance? I was a lazy typer for that post. Sue me :P
ilumino

Postby ilumino » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:35 pm

Shouldn't your own description be visible to other players? I mean, if you describe yourself a certain way, shouldn't others be able to see that?

I think that this should also be implemented so that when you view the description of someone else, you can also add your own description/notes to them without messing up what they have written about themselves.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:33 pm

That's a separate suggestion that has been made in the past. There are a lot of hangups about going through with it because people could put inappropriate things in it for everyone to see. A whole new level of moderation dumped onto the PD.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
ilumino

Postby ilumino » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 pm

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:That's a separate suggestion that has been made in the past. There are a lot of hangups about going through with it because people could put inappropriate things in it for everyone to see. A whole new level of moderation dumped onto the PD.

Almost all MUD's allow users to enter a description of themselves. How do they get around it? Besides, couldn't somebody just spam the area with profanity anyway? If there was someone putting inappropriate text in their description, other players could report it the same way they report any other player out of character: using the out-of-character departments page.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:10 am

But is there any other mud where there are officially different language groups with their own language interface and still existing in the same world? I remember that in RaceWarKingdoms some people talked in Danish, but still everyone had the interface in English. But in Cantr some translations are so complete that it's possible for a person who doesn't know any English (or pretty close) to play the game. Okay so if they ran into foreigners and couldn't understand their descriptions it wouldn't matter much because descriptions are only used to pass trivial information like appearance. Using it for messages to other characters would be a CRB. But for a person who doesn't know the language, this would still pass one message which is "this character is a foreigner". Before you couldn't tell until the person opens their mouth, or you could guess if they stay silent. But if someone had a description in their own language, any person docking into the town could define their nationality while they're sleeping and defenseless. My option was to give everyone a chance to write a different description in all languages they know and characters would see the description based on which language group they are part of. It would just have to be specified that you're not allowed to have conflicting statements in different descriptions. You could write simpler text in languages you're not familiar with but you could not write in one language that the character is short and fragile and in another language that they're tall and muscular.

Anyway, this is the wrong topic for this discussion.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”