Optional directional compass?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:49 pm

I love it. So useful for me (and I bet a hell of a lot of new people, easier for them to adapt to the strange directions). And I thought it was said that it was optional? If there's an option to turn it off, it's under your account information.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
marol

Postby marol » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 pm

It is going to be optional.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Awesome.
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:36 pm

SEriously though I think it's a great idea, and definitely not useless. I would have loved to have something like this around when I got my first boat and was trying to figure out how directions worked.

Hopefully this will lead to standarized maps to...I'm with everybody that hates the way some have north up, it's just confusing trying to mentally spin the thing around till it's oriented right in my head and I've almost gotten lost several times. To make it worse you never even know whether you need to go through the trouble of doing that or not unless the mapmaker was thoughtful enough to put in a compass rose.
Razorlance

Postby Razorlance » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:50 pm

So, where do you turn it off?
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:41 am

I don't think it's set yet.
Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:07 am

I see no reason it would need to be optional.
Complaining against reasonable implementations like this, is a reason more drastic (and needed) changes aren't added.
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 am

Nick, the compass makes it much harder to create maps. If I have to deal with removing those numbers everytime I add a clip to my map, I will probably just give up. I hope the option to disable it comes soon.

EDIT: Does anyone know how the compass interfaces with the larger viewing areas from seeing devices?
A Neo Irony

Postby A Neo Irony » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:19 am

The compass can be turned off by clicking the map's picture. This reverts it back to the old square map.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:25 am

But the circle provides more area for people making maps. It's much nicer to use than the square and looks much better in the end. Though I have to say, it is not difficult at all to remove the directions, at least not for me on my program. :| Took me like 5 seconds.
marol

Postby marol » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:57 am

Talapus wrote:EDIT: Does anyone know how the compass interfaces with the larger viewing areas from seeing devices?
Compass is not yet available for larger views.
Nick wrote:Complaining against reasonable implementations like this, is a reason more drastic (and needed) changes aren't added.
It is very true.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:19 am

Not to mention it's rather OOCish to make maps by copying the ingame map image, as Cantrians wouldn't be seeing an overhead view but a panoramic one. It's only fair if there's more trouble, maybe it would *gasp* encourage people to draw by hand and estimate stuff!
Not-so-sad panda
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:45 am

While it might slightly increase the number of hand drawn maps, the net effect would be to discourage map mapers which is one of the precious few services industries in Cantr. Making maps, especially on the large unpopulated islands is already hard enough.
DELGRAD

Postby DELGRAD » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:12 am

SekoETC wrote:Not to mention it's rather OOCish to make maps by copying the ingame map image, as Cantrians wouldn't be seeing an overhead view but a panoramic one. It's only fair if there's more trouble, maybe it would *gasp* encourage people to draw by hand and estimate stuff!

So you are saying that characters are to stupid to look 360 degrees and have a good idea what thier suroundings look like? I would imagine that Cantr eyes are as good as ours.
How did the early colonials make thier maps. How did the very very early europeans and well shit, don't know who they were, but they nmap maps so long back... No airplanes back then, how did they make them maps?
Now go back a boo hoo some where.
I will not look up the facts. Most every one if not every one know maps have been map far before people could see the land from above.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:18 am

And the maps of the old times were often disproportioned. They would draw areas bigger depending on their importance. Did they mark exact treelines and other terrain types? Nope, they drew little mountains and trees and hills that were in side view, since that's how they saw them. You're just lazy. Ever heard of an eraser? Hermi just said it only takes 5 secs to edit out those lines, if you get bored by doing that then don't make a map, there's always someone else to fill the spot.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”