Optional directional compass?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

DELGRAD

Postby DELGRAD » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:21 am

Sorry, but I must fix spelling mistakes and reword the last sentence of my last post.

"I will not look up the facts. Most everyone if not everyone knows maps have been made far before any person could see the land from above."

I said my part.

Sorry to argue in an implemented suggestions thread, but I do believe what I had to say was relevant.
marol

Postby marol » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:29 am

Sorry for interrupting this off topic, but I just wanted to let you know that since now compass can be disabled.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:44 am

SekoETC wrote:And the maps of the old times were often disproportioned. They would draw areas bigger depending on their importance. Did they mark exact treelines and other terrain types? Nope, they drew little mountains and trees and hills that were in side view, since that's how they saw them. You're just lazy. Ever heard of an eraser? Hermi just said it only takes 5 secs to edit out those lines, if you get bored by doing that then don't make a map, there's always someone else to fill the spot.

The original ordnance survey maps of the UK made around 1930 were made without the use of aeroplanes or satellites but were accurate to around half a metre over several hundred miles.

They were created using triangulation points using mathematics and compass bearings

Since that's not really possible as accurate compass bearings for land travel aren't possible, I think the map is a fair compromise

But now I think about it, the method would work in Cantr if we could take accurate bearings...

Anyway, accurate maps have been made based on people's observations of the world around them for over 200 years

Foe example, a map of my home town from 1869
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.asp?x=338&y=100&sheetid=2537&ox=0&oy=0&zm=1&czm=10
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:57 am

I realize this has already been implemented, and is a closed subject--but I am a bit upset by it.

I do realize that it makes it a bit easier, but that was part of the challenge in game--to figure out the map system. The map has always been on its side, and always will be on its side, and I find that putting a compass on it dumbs it down. It now requires no thinking on behalf of the player, and I'm dissapointed in it.

That's my two cents, anyway.
kroner

Postby kroner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:29 am

the introduction of the wiki and change in policy on the capital rule makes it pretty clear that experienced players should not have an advantage in terms of character knowledge.

the fact that west is up has been free information to any character played by someone who knows. it therefore should also be free information to any character played by someone who doesn't. that's really the only information the compass supplies, so i think it's a good thing it's been added.
DOOM!
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:22 pm

I'm also not too thrilled with the Wiki, so I guess that's equal.
But was there another change in the CR? Besides the three day rule?
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:26 pm

sammigurl61190 wrote:I'm also not too thrilled with the Wiki

:cry:
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am

It's the idea behind it, that there is no mystery to the game anymore.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:58 pm

[quote="sammigurl61190"]It's the idea behind it, that there is no mystery to the game anymore.[/quote]

There are still a few, eg cure for over-eating sickness, and you, personally, don't have to use the Wiki.
This is the constant conflict. So many players got fed up with explaining things to newspawns that the wiki was introduced. Look at the repeated threads wanting the map turned conventionally, people don't want mystery, except where it suits them.
But you can play your chars as you choose. My latest is pleading ignorance of most things, being guided by someone whose player probably knows less about playing than I do, but that's the way I've decided to play it... so can you.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:47 pm

Amen. There's as much mystery as you choose to put into it. Those are just optional things, not things you have to look at. I'm not sure a lot of new players look at the wiki (or the forums for that matter) to begin with, unless they're really, really interested in the game and want to know what they're getting into.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:22 pm

sammigurl61190 wrote:I do realize that it makes it a bit easier, but that was part of the challenge in game--to figure out the map system.

Actually I'm very certain that it was a logic-related programming error as opposed to the designer's desire.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”