Optional directional compass?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

ceselb

Optional directional compass?

Postby ceselb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:46 am

Have a user setting to enable this, or maybe have it only on boats?

(image shamlessly stolen from the gallagher atlas in game).

The red lines show how to split the image to get it working easily with html.
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:37 am

It would be useful, but something that big is just intrusive in Cantr. I'm all for it, it it's a bit smaller.

EDIT: Or, if one programmed a manufacturable compass, when held in the inventory, your screen in Location changes to that picture.

30g steel
50g wood
30g leather
10g copper
10g glass
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:29 pm

I would do it with a greasemokey userscript if I only knew how... But this way it may benefit all.

The size can be whatever, just took something that was available and did a quick mockup..

EDIT: smaller version.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:12 pm

I like this idea alot, having a small compass around maps
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:56 pm

I would like to have it as an upgrade. Cheap of course. Everyone would have to mak the compass first.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:23 pm

But would people bother to pay for it if they might as well do it out of paper and hold it against the screen - or even better, draw it on a transparancy (are they called that? The plastic sheets that can be reflected on a screen?) then you could have it taped over your screen and it wouldn't bother much because it would be transparent.

I'd rather see it as a feature to the interface, not an item. Especially when it's most likely the newbies who need it the most, and oldbies are the ones with the resources. It doesn't sound very ingamely either to have a sphere of lines around your square range of view. It's something the player sees, not the character.
Not-so-sad panda
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:30 pm

I agree with Seko. It should be added as a feature that players can choose to use like they way they can choose either a round or square field of vision in the location.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:39 pm

I thought you'd be against the interface addition of it... *shrug*
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Not as long as it's optional, which it says in the original suggestion; it would be very useful, especially for people that don't use boats much. Sometimes I'd like to see the map on the change directions page where you input where to go on a boat, just because I have to go back and forth between the two to make sure I'm thinking of the right direction that I want. I like having a visual. Maybe it could be an option on the change direction/speed/turns page on boats? I don't really care, so long as it's optional. I wouldn't want to see it on all my chars, but it'd be useful for a couple.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:55 pm

SekoETC wrote:But would people bother to pay for it if they might as well do it out of paper and hold it against the screen - or even better, draw it on a transparancy (are they called that? The plastic sheets that can be reflected on a screen?) then you could have it taped over your screen and it wouldn't bother much because it would be transparent.

Why people bother to make clothes? :)

And would people bother to draw it on a sheet of paper, or even on transparent plastic?

I said, It suppose to be cheap. Why do people pay real money to have premium accounts in online games, which gives them nothing, but better interface etc?

Because it is nice to have it. It is another goal to achieve in game. That is enough for me.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:11 pm

It shouldn't be something you have to make to get something that betters your interface. That crosses the line of player/character in my opinion. It is something players would make to help themselves, not their characters based on their professions and interests.

If it were a simple option to the player, it might help new players out some on understanding the world and its orientation instead of simply making it easier for older players that have the resources to make one.
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Rusalka wrote:It is another goal to achieve in game.

I disagree. East being right and 0 degrees really messes with my mind and will probably continue to do so. I know there are historical reasons why this won't be fixed, but atleast this will help people get to where they intend to go.
This isn't about in game, it's about a gui improvement.

As I said, I could take a few hours to learn enough of the greasemonkey plugin for firefox to make this happen. But I want more than that, I want all users to have this ability if they want it (fine, call me an idealist).

When you change something very fundamental as with the directions, it will make people confused. Having this implemented will in part compensate for that. Atleast make it come free with boats, like the lock already does..
Pie

Postby Pie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:19 pm

I haven't read much of what you have said, but i don't think you have suggested this.

Have the compass increas the length at wich you can see.

It makes really good sence. It gives people a reason to want the compas (otherwise it will be just another useless item) and if you have a compass with a eyeglass thing, they will add together, and give you even more of a line of sight.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:00 am

Pie... there ARE spyglasses and stuff in game. They are meant to increase the range of vision. This is totally different. This is about giving players a chance of seeing in practice which way a certain heading is on the map. Normally you just estimate a direction and correct it a couple of times if needed. That's easy while near a coast. But while sailing on the open seas without any landmarks, you quickly forget about directions. I almost did it again because the Callagher atlas has the maps tilted so that north is up. So I'll want to go down on the map but then I need to go left instead, cause that's south. But I went east for a day before remembering that. It happens all the time.

It cannot be an ingame item as it's something that can be figured out OOC and people cannot be forbidden from being able to tell the directions apart because they have always been able to do that. If directions were blurred then the map view would have to rotate based on the direction the character is going to. That's different.
Not-so-sad panda
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:51 am

I would prefer it to be simpler:

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”