Signal fire - (was Castaway)

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Pie

Signal fire - (was Castaway)

Postby Pie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:07 pm

Alright, I've been thinking.

I have currently alot of people in the bone spear towns, and I was wondering what would be a way to get ships to notis us?

And then it hit me. We should be able to build a CAMPFIRE!!! well, a bon fire, actually, r somthing. You could see it from the sea (not verry far away) and maby from land also. I would like it to be able to work as a project, to start the fire, and the like.

Also, I hope this part of the suggestion hasn't alredy been suggested.

Flags. the ability to have a flag of some sort, to attract other ships. This would make seafaring, and fleets, easyer to controll and alot funner.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm

I think your first idea has a lot of merit - Essentially an automated project which is visible from a distance but has no output .

Your 2nd idea has been suggested many times before - see Signal Flags
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:13 am

A good thought. Perhaps multiple fires per location....1 if by land, 2 if by sea sort of thought. (American History there for those who don't know, it was the signal for the British invansion for the Revolution...led to the Paul Reviere ride)
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:31 am

Perhaps the Bonfire could be weaker than the Lighthouse?

It's not a bad idea at all. Also, should the bonfire wear out after a few days, but be instant to light?
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
km17

Postby km17 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:02 am

i like that, should have to be manned for it to stay lit any length of time
(pictures forest on fire) perhaps you could also destroy things by throwing them in the bonfire.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:13 am

km17 wrote:(pictures forest on fire) perhaps you could also destroy things by throwing them in the bonfire.

Let's just keep it simple and to the original suggestion. ;) Otherwise we go off topic in a trail of nothingness.

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

dryn

Postby dryn » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:40 am

Perhaps it could be added to the projects of the firepit? "Create smoke signal" or something.

I would rather not have another machine added to the list if there is something that could already be used.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 am

I do like the small fire pit idea. You can make a create signal smoke project on a firepit.

creating signal smoke

Signal smoke can be seen from the sea, and help in navigation between places. All signal smoke within 80 pixels are visible to vessels on water.

Output per day of labour
* smoke signal (range 80 pixels)
* Automated project

Maximum output
* 10 days

Required resources

* 100 grams of fur
* 250 grams of wood

Required machines
* small fire pit

Skill used
* none
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 am

Good idea, but it should not require resources to lit the fire.
That is, not until lighthouses also need them.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:38 am

A lighthouse has a light inside. I guess the energy for that light comes from the same energy source as the energy that moves vehicles. It's free, invisible, doesn't need storage or maintainance.

Fire as an energy source though does need resources in Cantr; propane, dried dung, wood, coal or charcoal.

I think smoke signals should need a fuel resource as it is a fire based project, like baking bread or purifying gas.

I don't know smoke signals would only need wood as in my suggestion, but could also be started with dried dung. The other fuel resources are not useful.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:56 pm

T-shirt wrote:A lighthouse has a light inside. I guess the energy for that light comes from the same energy source as the energy that moves vehicles. It's free, invisible, doesn't need storage or maintainance.

Fire as an energy source though does need resources in Cantr; propane, dried dung, wood, coal or charcoal.

I think smoke signals should need a fuel resource as it is a fire based project, like baking bread or purifying gas.

I don't know smoke signals would only need wood as in my suggestion, but could also be started with dried dung. The other fuel resources are not useful.

Agreed. Entirely. And I like your idea of using Fur, and wood, for fuel. Fur is great for the smoke aspect I'm assuming. Which really makes it more of a smoke beacon than a fire beacon, but still..

dryn

Postby dryn » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:40 pm

Pieter de Groote wrote:Good idea, but it should not require resources to lit the fire.
That is, not until lighthouses also need them.

Basically we are proposing a cheap alternative to the lighthouse. If it costs nothing then there would be little incentive to build a lighthouse. (In addtion to all the other reasons stated)

(Of course the smoke signel is a little different in the sense that a smoking firepit will tell a ship that 'someone is here/was here recently' were as a lighthouse will just tell someone 'someone built a lighthouse here')
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:05 pm

It could be a cheap alternative to a lighthouse that is temporary (it decays with time) and cannot be uniquely named. Every signal fire will show up as "a signal fire" instead of "town x's signal fire".

I would think that we could piggyback the lighthouse code a bit and apply it to a new obejct which would be fixed in space, only built outside, will decay each day and cannot be repaired. When the fire burns out, a new one will need to be constructed to replace it.

Build requirements should include wood and bitumen (representing pitch, for that extra large smokey flame). :)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:11 pm

wichita wrote:It could be a cheap alternative to a lighthouse that is temporary (it decays with time) and cannot be uniquely named. Every signal fire will show up as "a signal fire" instead of "town x's signal fire".

I would think that we could piggyback the lighthouse code a bit and apply it to a new obejct which would be fixed in space, only built outside, will decay each day and cannot be repaired. When the fire burns out, a new one will need to be constructed to replace it.

Build requirements should include wood and bitumen (representing pitch, for that extra large smokey flame). :)

That sounds like my suggestion, apart from the bitumen instead of my my proposed fur. Had you read it?
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:01 am

T-shirt wrote:
wichita wrote:It could be a cheap alternative to a lighthouse that is temporary (it decays with time) and cannot be uniquely named. Every signal fire will show up as "a signal fire" instead of "town x's signal fire".

That sounds like my suggestion, apart from the bitumen instead of my my proposed fur. Had you read it?

Erm yeah it actually does Wichita.. :P

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”