VERY urgent request concerning this new "disease"

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

The Sociologist

VERY urgent request concerning this new "disease"

Postby The Sociologist » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:05 pm

I'm not logging this under suggestions, I'm posting it here as a very urgent change request. It must be completed by the end of this weekend.

We need some way of seeing when other characters have this problem of eating too much. For example you should see a message saying "You see X looking pale" or some such. In other words, other people should be capable of diagnosing what is wrong.

The reason is that in some of the forests, characters are kept alive by way of food rations handed out. This used to happen in Cantr City when there were decent players with charries there (eg hEarty), and also at New Xanth. We are keeping one of Colonel's charries alive, for example, and several others.

Now we don't have enough food to just dump huge quantities on people. The forest has had almost no animals left since the animal system got screwed, so we depend on stew cooked in big stone pots. This feeds about 30 people including any number who will be asleep over this Christmas period.

Finally, I urgently need information as to how much characters could eat at the maximum and for how long this could continue at the maximum. I need this so as to be able to make contingency plans.

Finally, I would just say that everyone in New Xanth is fed one of the richer and more complex foods, namely stew. Almost everyone is clothed, and yet still you penalize us with random diseases.

Just for once why not penalize people in their sixties who wear no clothes and eat nothing but raw potatoes. Goddamn it all, what is this game supposed to be achieving?
Pie

Postby Pie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:12 pm

you know, I wonder what causes that desies.. i think it might be damage or tiredness or somthing, but i don't know.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:22 pm

It might be the corpses. Try burying the corpses.

We also have a feeding system in Kiii, this far the only ones with the illness have been awake to notice. But maybe people who sleep for so long deserve to die?

The max hunger you can gain a day is 10%, I think. And apparently you don't gain hunger even if it says you're hungry if you eat a proportion of the amount needed. So dealing out rations to sleepers every day might work. This way they cannot chomp down several days of rations in one day. But it's a lot of work, that I can say.

Back to the suggestion, yeah, it should be visible when someone is about to starve to death, not only when it's due to illness but also out of normal reasons.
Not-so-sad panda
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:45 pm

SekoETC wrote:Back to the suggestion, yeah, it should be visible when someone is about to starve to death, not only when it's due to illness but also out of normal reasons.

Yes I think this is a good suggestion. It could say something like "**** seems very malnurished" whenever they have like 90% hunger or something. Anyway, it would help alot, and still be realistic, because when you see someone about to starve to death in real life I promise you it is noticeable for any of you that have never seen pics of people who are starving.
Every action has a consequence.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:02 pm

90% means you're going to die on the next feeding hour if you got the sickness, I think it should show a bit sooner. It could go in stages, well-fed, a bit skinny, thin, gaunt... skeletal.
Not-so-sad panda
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:10 pm

Possibly, but 90% would mean you have a whole day before you die. It would show it right when you get to 90% and you would have 24 real life hours before your next feeding time. So it would help people to give you food, but you dont want to make it too easy where it reminds them everyday how someone is doing. It should be where you have to be somewhat active to catch it and feed them in time.
Every action has a consequence.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Oh, I didn't mean an event, I meant in the character description. It would be up to the interest of others to look at it. It would be possible to miss someone starving in a big town. And maybe some clothing could hide it, though it does show on your face after a while.
Not-so-sad panda
Antono Flavio

Postby Antono Flavio » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:22 pm

I like your idea, Seko. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Re: VERY urgent request concerning this new "disease&qu

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:12 pm

The Sociologist wrote:It must be completed by the end of this weekend.

If you want me angry and totally uncooperative, that's exactly the attitude you should take. Pay me by the hour at a reasonable rate, and I become a little more cooperative.

Seko, I like your idea and will implement it.
Surly

Postby Surly » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:27 pm

10% :? Jos, is that actually true? I think certain details can be released without taking away your aim... if you wanted to discuss that, I would like to.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:59 pm

I don't know by heart. I can imagine that I programmed that you die if you don't eat for half a year ;) ... But I really don't know.

Ok, so I can look it up :) ... But the code is confusing myself now. It's kinda strangely programmed (yes, by me).

So, you need a certain amount per day, say D. And you eat, say, E. Then the formula is something like:

P = (E/D * 5 - 5) * 100

if P == 0 then P = 10000 / 30

The scale on which hunger is measured is a 10000 point scale. So this is equivalent to:

P = E/D * 5 - 5
if P == 0 then P = 3.333

if it were measured on a 100% scale.

Soo, if you eat the required amount (E == D), then you get 3.333 percent points less hungry. If you eat nothing, E == 0, then you loose 5 percent points.

So I'm a little at a loss why in another thread they say you can survive on just a tiny bit of food. If E == 1/10*D, you should still loose 4.5 percent point each day.
Sparkle

Postby Sparkle » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:34 pm

Great idea Seko. :) Even the player can loose track of a starving character. Especially while traveling. :oops: I mean that is sad to say, but it does. Especially if you have over 10 characters and have a busy life.

With that said can someone put a lock on my account that does not allow me from making anymore characters. It is just so tempting and I know I will be back in school in 4 more days, but I'M BORED AS HELL UNTIL THEN!! :P
a day without cantr, is a day spent in bed convulsing and suffering from withdrawl
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:41 pm

SekoETC wrote:It might be the corpses. Try burying the corpses.

my charri that caught thiis was not around corpses

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:46 pm

Sparkle wrote:It is just so tempting and I know I will be back in school in 4 more days, but I'M BORED AS HELL UNTIL THEN!! :P

I soo often fell for that trap :) ... Started about four new chars this week :)
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 pm

But not all chars can be town leaders etc. ... we need some 'normal' people as well ... so there's really no harm in playing a less active char, say, a farmer or something :) ... They're good to fill up places and participate just sometimes to liven things up, without taking a lot of time for the player.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”