disease

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:23 am

It's in fact spelled "Achiever" and even though one might also achieve (in other words, do well) through social means, the Socializers are regarded as people who chat for the sake of chatting, create connections out of emotional reasons instead of rational ones and thus the "strategy players" consider them air-headed. If an achiever engages in roleplay, it is to prop their own status, not to interract with others. And since social connections are mostly invisible, achievers prefer things that can be measured in grams or seen in the objects/inventory/buildings menu.
Last edited by SekoETC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not-so-sad panda
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:42 am

Pretty sure its achieve, right? :?
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:45 am

The Surly Cantrian wrote:Pretty sure its achieve, right? :?

I thought so.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:50 am

Oh my gosh, I must be developing dyslexia!

Anyway, the point was that it's not -ei-, it's -ie-.
Not-so-sad panda
west

Postby west » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:46 am

I think people get too attached to their characters.

Don't get me wrong, I've been hella attached to mine before; my oldest right now I've had alive since August 2003 and I don't want anything to happen to them. I've lost sleep because of characters.

So I understand that people are (perhaps overly-) protective of their characters. But there's a difference between an in-character will-to-live, which is perfectly acceptable, and OOC bitching because some aspect of game mechanics can potentially kill your precious snowflake.

Characters die. Get over it. In real life we have war, disease, famine, murder, all sorts of things that can end life. Nobody's ready for it. Nobody likes it when their friends and family die, much less themselves.

But constantly complaining about anything that can make life less-than-pleasant for your characters is lame.

I don't like it when my characters die either. But that's part of playing the game. It's a society simulator, and what's society without unfair ways to die? I'm with Jos on this one, and not just because he paid me to say so.

Excessive busywork? I am not a fan.
Disease? Yeah, bring it on.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:19 pm

I think we've gone a bit off track here. This suggestion was NOT about banning sickness. It was about giving people a chance to know when they're ill. One of the most basic things in life. The effects only appear once or twice a day. :arrow: They do not give a continuous picture of wether someone is ill.

<example>
When you have the sneezes, you can go a day or two without sneezing, thinking you're perfectly healed, yet the next day you're sneezing again.
</example>

IF we had a sickness bar, or better yet, a verbal description that says "You are feeling better than ever", "You are feeling OK", "You are feeling unwell", "You are feeling slightly ill", "You are feeling clearly ill", "You are feeling very sick", "You feel like you're just about to die" or perhaps "You feel so awful you wish you were dead", people wouldn't have to guess wether they have something or not. On top of this, it could sometimes randomly say "You are feeling unwell" when you haven't really been infected with anything - this might make people rest more often.

I think resting should ease out the symptoms in almost any sickness. Maybe not cure them but make you feel better. The only thing I can think of that would go worse by resting is periods, and we don't have those in Cantr.
Not-so-sad panda
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:44 pm

SekoETC wrote:I think we've gone a bit off track here. This suggestion was NOT about banning sickness. It was about giving people a chance to know when they're ill. One of the most basic things in life. The effects only appear once or twice a day. :arrow: They do not give a continuous picture of wether someone is ill.
Quite right Seko... and I know I'm partly responsible, but my criticism circle around the fact that a total mystery is not realistic, and not good for the players
SekoETC wrote:<example>
When you have the sneezes, you can go a day or two without sneezing, thinking you're perfectly healed, yet the next day you're sneezing again.
</example>
That's the best example. Now, I know I could get cancer and not know... but this is not the same as that. If I get a cold and start sneezing, which happens occasionally, it doesn't end and then come back randomly.

I am not saying no disease, I am criticising the whole silence around it... and just having some kind of indicator (text or otherwise) would help assuage the problems that people feel.
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:15 pm

So, in short, you want ProgD to impliment an opperational illness indicator? Should it be a yes/no, a percentage(also dependant on if you can be a percent ill), or something else that hasn't occured to me? Would it apply to all illnesses present and future? Would it be entirely accurate?

I personally think it we should have a general "wellness" meter that gives a rough depiction of how bad the charrie feels, factoring in things like sickness, hunger, injury, thirst, drunkeness, and weather exposure when we get them and what's more, having it be visable by incriments of 10 to everyone else, so you really don't look too good if you haven't eaten in half a year.
Scratch and sniff text
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:42 pm

I don't know how... wasn't my suggestion originally :P

But yes, even that would be an improvement. Because then you would have to work out it if it was damage, hunger or just disease...
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:13 pm

Forget my previous message. Please delete it. I thought this discussion was in another thread.

(done)
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:27 pm

west wrote:So I understand that people are (perhaps overly-) protective of their characters. But there's a difference between an in-character will-to-live, which is perfectly acceptable, and OOC bitching because some aspect of game mechanics can potentially kill your precious snowflake.

I wish I could put that entire post in my signature. :lol:

I also wish that I could know exactly what causes Parkinson's disease, but unfortunately creators sometimes have this weird habit of dumping unfortunate stuff into the world and then watching how the critters deal with it. My solution is to analyze it and look for a way to work through it.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
west

Postby west » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:56 pm

SekoETC wrote:I think we've gone a bit off track here. This suggestion was NOT about banning sickness. It was about giving people a chance to know when they're ill. One of the most basic things in life. The effects only appear once or twice a day. :arrow: They do not give a continuous picture of wether someone is ill.

<example>
</example>

IF we had a sickness bar, or better yet, a verbal description that says "You are feeling better than ever", "You are feeling OK", "You are feeling unwell", "You are feeling slightly ill", "You are feeling clearly ill", "You are feeling very sick", "You feel like you're just about to die" or perhaps "You feel so awful you wish you were dead", people wouldn't have to guess wether they have something or not. On top of this, it could sometimes randomly say "You are feeling unwell" when you haven't really been infected with anything - this might make people rest more often.

I think resting should ease out the symptoms in almost any sickness. Maybe not cure them but make you feel better. The only thing I can think of that would go worse by resting is periods, and we don't have those in Cantr.

The way you tell you're sick in real life is by the SYMPTOMS. You don't have a little switch in your head that says "sick/not sick"

Sure, you can feel ill, but that's subjective and based on SYMPTOMS and your mindset at the time.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
SCUBA

Postby SCUBA » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:09 pm

west wrote:

<example>
</example>

The way you tell you're sick in real life is by the SYMPTOMS. You don't have a little switch in your head that says "sick/not sick"

Sure, you can feel ill, but that's subjective and based on SYMPTOMS and your mindset at the time.

Yes, but you can always check if you have the symptoms or not. Not just once every two days or so.

Have I caught a cold? I'll have to wait for a sneeze now.

No! You find out if your nose is luiquid or if your throat is sore or youe forehead is warm, that is what you do.
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:39 pm

SCUBA wrote:
west wrote:

<example>
</example>

Yes, but you can always check if you have the symptoms or not. Not just once every two days or so.

Have I caught a cold? I'll have to wait for a sneeze now.

No! You find out if your nose is luiquid or if your throat is sore or youe forehead is warm, that is what you do.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU!!!
Not-so-sad panda
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:55 pm

So you also think this is a valid suggestion that should not have been moved to 'rejected'.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”