disease

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

T-shirt

disease

Postby T-shirt » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:25 pm

There are rumours about diseases in Cantr. Sneezing sickness and faintness.

I don't like these 'features', but I have little to say in the matter. I would like to know whether characters of mine are ill or not.

I would like to see when my character is ill.

A message that a character is feeling a bit faint, tells me he felt faint at that moment. It does not tell me he's still feeling ill or whether he's feeling better again.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:55 pm

Quite so. One can be free of sneezing symptoms for 2 or 3 days, then they return. Maybe change the Drunkenness bar to a health bar on the char description page.
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:50 pm

My newspawn started sneezing on their first day.

Went away after 10 days of cot rest :roll:

Then started again 5 days later, when I thought it had gone. Bloody joke, is what it is. Now I just ignore it, which I guess is not the point of these RP irritants?

I like this idea.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:48 am

You do realize though, that if this gets implimented, when your disease bar reaches 100 you'll either start taking damage or die outright... and most likely get slowed down by it... just thought I'd point it out before complaints start up about it ;)
Scratch and sniff text
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:11 am

Diseases are visible through their effects ... feelings of faintness, sneezing, tiredness, eating more .... That's the more realistic, most mysterious, more interesting form. I have no intention of changing this.
km17

Postby km17 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:12 am

good thats how it should happen, the sicker you are the worse you feel and you work less, and if it reaches 100 maybe it doesnt go down anymore unless you find a cure, would make doctors more handy. more appothery mixtures could cure these new desieses and even reverse the effects.

other than that just RP your sickness, one of my chars enjoys getting sick for the attention. just RP it more like you would be sick.
Surly

Postby Surly » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:26 am

Jos Elkink wrote:Diseases are visible through their effects ... feelings of faintness, sneezing, tiredness, eating more .... That's the more realistic, most mysterious, more interesting form. I have no intention of changing this.
More interesting? Bah. That's the tedious way, that I will continue to ignore. It has no in-game benefit, does not make the game more interesting and does make the game more playable. This will put off more people than it will appease... believe me, if my newspawn had been my first char... I would not have stuck around for the stupid sneezefest.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Sheesh, it doesn't happen that you go a day without sneezing and are supposedly feeling all fine and the suddenly you realize you're still as sick as ever. Use the drunkenness bar. Maybe it could be renamed light-headedness.
Not-so-sad panda
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:Diseases are visible through their effects.
I made this suggestion because they not visible through their effects. Some effects can be interpreted (sometimes with OOC knowledge) as disease and some are just glitches in the game or changes in game mechanics. The general increase in raw food consumption was not a universal disease and no character has tried to look for a cure for this. Why should any character look for a cure for this new random increase in food consumption.

If there was a notification of illness on the Character Description screen, I would want my character to become healthy again. Even when the effects were negligible. Now my character has eaten 40 days worth of spinach in one go, but does not feel ill or anything. She did feel a bit faint a few hours before her feasting, but hadn't felt faint for days afterwards.

I am quite upset this suggestion is rejected this quickly.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:36 pm

I guess we have to accept that Cantr is not about our characters being our lab rats, but more and more about us players being Jos' lab rats.

Resistance is useless. Those that don't like to play this role should just quit playing, easy as that. You're not the first that had enough and you certainly won't be the last.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:19 pm

As above. If you're ill you're ill continuously, not just twice a day, so you should have some indication.
I accept the reason is to let the chars work it out for themselves, but with so few of them it's not going to happen ig. Let's face it, if you're on a boat, your options are limited... rest and fasting are about the sum total, and if neither of these work, you may as well try to ignore it.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:36 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:Diseases are visible through their effects ... feelings of faintness, sneezing, tiredness, eating more .... That's the more realistic, most mysterious, more interesting form. I have no intention of changing this.

Oooook, but please, put some kind of indicator. It is just to put something in the character information page, maybe a illness bar (oh, it is there already... time to use it?) or a line where you can read things like "you feel ok / you feel bad / you feel faint / you feel exhausted /... / you feel faint and exhausted / you feel hungry, faint and aching..."

Jos, it is just a minor change in the interface for playability, not a change in your illness system.

:roll:
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:00 pm

I don't see why you all keep popping up with the "on a boat" scenario... Unless I'm terribly mistaken, you need to catch a disease from something. So, you'll either be near port, or you've got some unsanitary things lying around on deck.
Scratch and sniff text
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:13 pm

Someone said they'd gotten the thing while on the mountains, after going without seeing other people for several days. So the common thought is that one may get it without a natural cause, but through random chance. I think Jos should confirm if this is the case. Hopefully not. I understand that random people had to be infected in the beginning but it shouldn't be done after that.
Not-so-sad panda
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 pm

You're assuming all diseases have to be infecteous ...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”