Startpage link to wiki!

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Liljum

Startpage link to wiki!

Postby Liljum » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am

As the startpage is now the wikilink goes to the startpage of wiki. Which means the english one. Could this link be changed so it leads directly to the translated version?

E.g.
* The swedish startpage leads to the swedish translated wiki version.
* The Polish Startpage leads to the polish translated wiki version, and so on...

Or have a decision been taken that it should only be linked as it is now? If anyone wishes to read the english version there is a links inside the wiki to the english version from the different languages.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 am

I'm afraid not - we'd require a page for all the languages and currently not everyone has been translated - There is a link to the other language pages on the Main page in English so foreign language speakers can quickly navigate to the correct one.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:55 pm

So, this will never happen unless every cantr language has a wiki translation?
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:44 pm

I think you can stop your sentence after happen. A lot of work to save one click. I think ProgD has enough work on its hands.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Hmm, if we just move the URLs to the translatable texts, it's actually a very easy thing to do :-).

I would particularly also like the 'first day in Cantr' link to be in the appropriate language.
Sho

Postby Sho » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:45 pm

I would like each language to have its own wiki. But that's something that's been on my wish list for close to a year and doesn't seem likely to happen.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Sho wrote:I would like each language to have its own wiki. But that's something that's been on my wish list for close to a year and doesn't seem likely to happen.

To do this as per Wikipedia requires completely seperate wikis - each (if run on a single server, Wikipedia runs on over 100 ) requires a recommended 256Mb of ram - It can be emulated using namespaces but this is far from straight forward and requires several custom namespaces to be created for each language (One for Categories, Help, Talk, Articles etc)

EDIT: I'm also not sure if people are aware that you can set the interface language of the Wiki in Preferences - This may help with some of the internationalisation issues ...(oops sorry I mean internationalization :D )
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:12 pm

It can't be that hard to change it...

The wiki link is now http://www.cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/Main_Page

E.g. on the swedish cantr startpage it would instead be a link to http://www.cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/Svensk_Version which is the translated version of the wiki.

So we don't really need a completely new wiki for each language, just that the link directs you directly to the translated version on previous wiki.

In this way if you have set the startpage to be in swedish and you press the wiki link you get to the swedish translated part of the wiki instead of the english(Main_page).
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:17 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:EDIT: I'm also not sure if people are aware that you can set the interface language of the Wiki in Preferences - This may help with some of the internationalisation issues ...(oops sorry I mean internationalization :D )

Yes, but you still comes to the english part and has to click your way thru to the translated version. (Yes, it's not very hard. One click on a link.) But it's nice to get to the translated part of the wiki directly, when you already have chosen to have the cantr page in a translated version and get linked to a translated wiki version.

And yes, there's a problem when you click on the Main Page link on the menu. Since you get to the english version and not to the main page of that translated version.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:03 pm

As I said, this should be easy to implement ....
Sho

Postby Sho » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:
Sho wrote:I would like each language to have its own wiki. But that's something that's been on my wish list for close to a year and doesn't seem likely to happen.

To do this as per Wikipedia requires completely seperate wikis - each (if run on a single server, Wikipedia runs on over 100 ) requires a recommended 256Mb of ram

That's what I meant - but presumably the 256 MB requirement includes the Apache and MySQL servers? Adding another set of tables to a preexisting MySQL server shouldn't have as drastic an impact on memory needs. Wikipedia has more language editions (229) than it has servers, and probably most of its server capacity is needed because of the user load and not because of the base requirements of the software.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Thats probably true - and the overhead of additional database space probably is countered by some load balancing - not that the Wiki is a big drain as it stands .

Maintenance is however a bigger task both from a sysop pov and users - The Wiki, out of any other 3rd party s/w we use,is the most customised - changing configurations of 10 or more different wikis will be a greater task - and from an editors pov you are going to be less aware of changes in one wiki which probably should be updated in the one you are interested in - interwiki links are not as good as intrawiki links - IMHO Seperate wikis for each language group feels like overkill for what we need
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm

The original suggestion has now been implemented for those languages which there is a translated front page . My First Cantr Day has not yet been dealt with as I'm not sure how many languages this has been translated into nor the actual links
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:23 pm

I dealt with the latter :P ... It just means that as soon as it's translated - and I would encourage people to translate that page asap to their language! - the LD can update the link.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Wow... :shock: I got me a accepted and implemented!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”