fishing while sailing?

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:01 am

I would like to see the top 10 list revisted after I get done with a new feature I am working on. It will take me some time to finish that feature.
PRUT

Postby PRUT » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 am

I suggest to add in every boat everywhere on the sea, possibility to start project "fishing" No mater what kind of fish it would be.

I really can't imagine how someone can starve to death in the sea full of fish.
It should be most common thing done on boats instead of repairing projects or crushing hematite :lol:
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:16 am

If you had areas where particular types of fish were found, you might be able to implement a significant step to free-roam(resource areas vs locations).
Stan

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:18 pm

You can crush hematite on a boat? It's been awhile but the last time I tried to build a stone table on a boat I couldn't.
Stan wrote:I've never said anything worth quoting.
Bear

Postby Bear » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:29 pm

I've got two characters with stonetables on their boats, one is a longboat and the other one a sloop.
Sho

Postby Sho » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:06 pm

I believe anything that can be built outdoors can be built in a vehicle, and vice versa.
Stan

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:51 pm

Nevermind...that's right. It was the full fledged smelting furnance that can produce steel that I couldn't build.
Stan wrote:I've never said anything worth quoting.
marol

Postby marol » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19 am

I think most realizabe solution will be creating areas on the sea where particular kind of fish is available, and then treat ship on that area as a location with that resource.

This however changes very much sea traveling - sailing would require no more gathering of food supplies before sailing away, which seems to be not realistic. AFAIK sailors can't survive on the sea when food ran out, and giving fishing possibility will make this aspect of sailing not imprtant.
Sho

Postby Sho » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:25 am

They will still have neither fuel for cooking nor rice and seaweed for sushi. Well, I suppose seaweed could be gathered too - but rice? No way.
WojD

Postby WojD » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:28 am

In past (and now too) sailors always take food (and water) from land - and often starve at end of cruise if don't cath fish...

If allowing fishing at sea is so dificult maybe more easy will be to implement sea animals migrating from beach location to beach location (with very high 'migration' factor) - then sailors can hunt for animals from boats?

EDIT: Maybe 'dried seaweed' or 'animal fat' can be used as fuel?
==============
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:13 pm

I suggested this before, and it was ignored, so far as i know, but meh i like it...
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:14 am

I too want to revive this idea...

Fishing from boats, with nets or handlines if you want to be realistic.....

And I think salted cod is the answer for sailors...

Salt should be able to be collected from the sea by using a large cooking pot (or alternative) and the process of evaporation....

That said,I think I see fishing, less as support for voyaging sailors, but more as an industry for coastal towns - it fits in with the general reduction in food value of vegetables..
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Mon May 01, 2006 2:57 am

And this could pave the way for long line ships, whaling ships, ...!!
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
Wee

Postby Wee » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Something like this idea has been spining in my head for awhile. I suggest that this could be not totally like fishing on shore but something like hunting. I.e. sometimes there is what to catch, sometimes there isn't. It would give a chance to add some new creatures to Cantr: like sharks, rays, dolphins, even whales or... :wink: :wink:
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:21 pm

WojD wrote:In past (and now too) sailors always take food (and water) from land - and often starve at end of cruise if don't cath fish...

As far as I know, the problem of long jurneys was fresh water, not the food.

If you are worried about making see travels too easy, my solution is:

!. places where we could gather fish would be rare
2. there will be always small number of extraction places in every virtual location
3. Ship will have to stop when the crew chooses to start fishing

The idea is very good because it opens a whole nie world of ocean life and resources.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”