Directional Marker

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

marol

Postby marol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:31 am

Sho wrote:(...) people get jumpy when staff implement significant changes only a day after they are suggested, with no real chance for players to get in their feedback. Nobody saw this coming.
No, this suggestion didn't make me making this, it was planned long before the suggestion. And it is the part of the longer project, which includes variable sight of range, like binoculars, observation towers, etc.
(SRVPRC)
marol

Postby marol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:36 am

Agar wrote:Marol, I did some experimenting, and my characters in town can click the map to see the square map, but my people sailing boats or on roads can click all day long and are stuck with circle maps.
OK, it should now work for travellers too.
(SRVPRC)

Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:40 am

marol wrote:OK, it should now work for travellers too.

Yay! :D
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:29 am

thanks Marol, the ability to change to the old square map is great, thanks!

However, I have a character who's sailing (my other sailing character at the moment), when the circle map shows up, the bottom 1/3 of the map shows all water, even though it is suppose to be land there. Also, my location on the circle map is different than my location on the square map. (on the circle map, I'm right against the coast, while on the square map, I am a good distance away).

If it's something that's only happening to me, I can try to give you more details....

thanks!
marol

Postby marol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:44 am

Give me charracter name via PM please...
(SRVPRC)

Duckers

Postby Duckers » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:29 am

marol wrote:
Sho wrote:(...) people get jumpy when staff implement significant changes only a day after they are suggested, with no real chance for players to get in their feedback. Nobody saw this coming.
No, this suggestion didn't make me making this, it was planned long before the suggestion. And it is the part of the longer project, which includes variable sight of range, like binoculars, observation towers, etc.

Awww... I'd like to think that I had some part in influencing this change. Oh, well. The false-hope thing's coming back... :cry:
marol

Postby marol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:41 am

Awww... I'd like to think that I had some part in influencing this change. Oh, well. The false-hope thing's coming back... :cry:
Huh, part of credits goes to you, cause your post made me to choose that project to move on from the queue...
(SRVPRC)

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:34 am

Thankyou for the ability to load the old-style map, sorry about the spleen venting...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 pm

Thanks, Marol. Fast fixes like these are appreciated!
This combines the more realistic circular view with the advantages of the old style map.

One question on a small thing (one pixel actually):
If I'm not mistaking, the "new old style map" now contains an extra black pixel, compared to the "old old style maps". It's on the maps of sailors, next to the orange pixel.

For map making this is not a big issue, just one pixel more to edit.
But, since this pixel is indistinguishable from boats and locations, this might result in confusion when navigating or pinpointing locations / boats.
marol

Postby marol » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:15 pm

The old style map is temporary only. It would be altered with round map, but that round map will be clean (without any markers) and will have the same resolution as old maps have. I'll also try to make cutouts transparent, but that last thing is unsure.
(SRVPRC)

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:37 pm

Why the **** were people complaining so bad when ALL you needed to do was copy the image, paste it to Microsoft Paint, resize to 25%, flood fill the edges with white and copy-paste to existing file, making sure that the background is not set to opague. As simple as that.
Not-so-sad panda
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Seko's 12 step program for mapmaking. ;)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:56 pm

SekoETC wrote:Why the **** were people complaining so bad when ALL you needed to do was copy the image, paste it to Microsoft Paint, resize to 25%, flood fill the edges with white and copy-paste to existing file, making sure that the background is not set to opague. As simple as that.
I assume that was sarcasm?

It better be... ;)
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:11 pm

I seriously doubt that it was. The girl can work magic with MS Paint.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Razorlance

Postby Razorlance » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:57 pm

Yea, thanks for the tip Seko, I was going to play around with it myself in MS paint, but now there's no need, and it looks cooler already with multiple overlapping circular areas, gives it more of a natural look to the map. :D

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”