Directional Marker

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Duckers

Directional Marker

Postby Duckers » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Right, here's an idea. When travelling, both on land and on... not-land, I think it would help a lot if there was a small arrow, or other marker, on the orange dot, showing which direction you're travelling in. So, say you're travelling west, there should be the orange dot with a small 'something' protruding from it, on it's 'western' side.

This would help immensely when sailing, so that the player may accurately plot a new direction. What d'ya think, people? :idea:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:12 pm

Haha, wow, this would be cool. But sounds more complicated to program than just zooming in on a bigass map and adding a single pixel to represent yourself and other ships. An arrow... would require layered graphics, right?
Not-so-sad panda
Duckers

Postby Duckers » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 pm

SekoETC wrote:Haha, wow, this would be cool.

Now, this sounds promising...

SekoETC wrote: But sounds more complicated to program than just zooming in on a bigass map and adding a single pixel to represent yourself and other ships. An arrow... would require layered graphics, right?

And... this doesn't. But then, that's about what I expected. Seems, I know nothing about the behind-the-scenes goings-on, so I expected the lead-balloon thing.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:00 pm

I liked Seko's drawing of a wake being added behind the ship pixel to accomplish this. Shouldn't be too difficult, I wouldn't think. Calculate vector then add three white pixels along the line...
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
marol

Postby marol » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:37 am

OK, I'll add the arrow. Moved to accepted.
(SRVPRC)
Duckers

Postby Duckers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:04 am

:shock: Whoa... Little ol' me has got himself a suggestion accepted. :shock:
marol

Postby marol » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:46 pm

And implemented. Directional marker indicates ships current direction, marker lenght indicates ships current speed. Line of sight is currently circular, not square. Area of sight is the same, as it was previously.
(SRVPRC)

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Dude! My head is still spinning! :D

Minor point, marol. Could you multiply by -1 and edit it so that the arrow points out the back of the boat like a wake, rather than out the front? I think it will be a bit easier to visualize that way.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
marol

Postby marol » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 pm

I am going to paint roads there, but not today. If you have any suggestions, let me know here.

wichita wrote:Minor point, marol. Could you multiply by -1 and edit it so that the arrow points out the back of the boat like a wake, rather than out the front? I think it will be a bit easier to visualize that way.
As you wish. Better now?
(SRVPRC)

marol

Postby marol » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Hmm... but what to do with docking boats?
(SRVPRC)

Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:18 pm

I have different map makers among my characters and this change made me curse.

There's no need for direction markers. Once you've sailed for a few days, you should be used to the Cantr navigation. For map making they form ugly little stripes that I have to edit manually, which is not really something I look forward to. I agree, it's not worth cursing for.

The other change (was it even asked for?) is much worse. The circular map view with non-transparant borders. Using these views to construct maps is going to be worth cursing, since I'll have to delete a circular area on each picture I add to my map.
Could this change be reversed, or if there's good reasons for having a circular view, at least make sure the borders of the bitmap are transparent.
The current implementation will end the effort of some good map makers.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:23 pm

*sigh* I agree it's troublesome for map making. But then again, I don't think we should be having pixel accurate maps for the fact that helicopters or other air vessels don't exist in Cantr, thus characters shouldn't be getting a pixel accurate view of their surroundings, even though the players might. I keep a copy-paste map for personal reference but my character's maps are always hand-drawn.

Could it be possible to have the map view a bit wider to make up for the lost corners? A square field of view was never a natural option, but it never crossed my mind a round view could be accomplished this easily.
Last edited by SekoETC on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not-so-sad panda
Cantryjczyk

Postby Cantryjczyk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm

For me it will be better if arrows show direction where ship is going. It is more intuitive. Mayby even it can be ended by real "arrow" and show directly place where boat will be in next tur. That will be great help, if you want to catch some pirates etc. You can change direction and speed to "jump" directly in place you want to be, and you know where other ship are going...
Każdy ma swój punkt widzenia, ale nie każdy z niego coś widzi.
marol

Postby marol » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Pieter - I have solution for you - you would be able to click on the map and then it would be displayed without any additional markers, ships or even locations. I'll also try to change green backround to transparent - it should be no problem.

Cantryjczyk - will see, but I think such lengths would be to short.
(SRVPRC)

Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:30 pm

And is there a possibility that image will fade a little bit at the borders? Since is circular, low resolution became visible.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”