yes
91%
no
9%

Total votes: 212
Doug R.

Re: Natural Healing

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Alright, let's revisit this 6 year old topic!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Not quite that old. :wink:

Generally speaking, natural healing would have the disadvantage of reducing the consumption of healing food, while on the upside, it would allow a more realistic RPing of wounds. Healing rates would have to be chosen very carefully to keep both healing options attractive. Natural healing would have to be less effective than the average healing food (as it would be available everywhere) and should only work if you are unable to gather healing food at the same time.

A system that converts excess energy into health could work here. You would only be able to regenerate health if fully rested (thus typically not in battle) and working on projects would reduce your healing rate drastically (I'm not sure about the actual numbers, but if you would normally regenerate 5% energy per hour and working on a project would drain your energy by 4%/hour, you would regenerate five times faster when not working on a project). As a consequence, resting furniture would increase your natural healing rate and energy food might serve as a (weak) healing food.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:48 pm

You make good points. How about:

Set default to Min% healing per hour if the character isn't malnourished.
Increase it if the character isn't tired.
Increase it if the character is resting.

0% hunger + 0% tiredness + resting on best furniture would = Max% per hour.

Max% per hour should heal less than one hour of work to gather the worst natural healing food (won't work with current rates - if we introduce this, we should remove healing properties from things like grass, sugar, and seaweed).
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Starting off with just anything would be good right now... even a .5% every IG hour.
My old banner ;)
Andu

Postby Andu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

I think ~1 % a day, at the most.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm not so sure that hunger should factor in. Can't really say why. (If we want to have a penalty for being hungry, we could increase the amount you eat in this case though.)

"Resting on best furniture" is also a bit problematic as this might change.

I also don't see the need to remove healing properties from grass and such. Apart from the fact that grass becomes pretty effective when harvested with a scythe, those healing foods still can be stockpiled. That means you can rest and at the same time consume the healing food you harvested earlier. Or the food somebody else gathers for you.

I think it would be justifiable to set the standard healing rate to 1%/day. Assuming that health regeneration is proportional to tiredness reduction, this could be boosted to 3.5% on the best resting furniture. This would be above the regenerative potential of quite a lot of healing foods, but curing a near mortal wound would require you to stay inside for more than a year, which should be motivation enough to eat a healthy diet in parallel. Especially if the daily gain from healing foods would be limited, we could probably have even higher natural regeneration rates. The ideal combination for a quick recovery would always be to rest and let someone else gather your healing food.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Honestly, being able to eat grass is pretty strange. I didn't think Cantrians were cow people.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Doug R. wrote:Honestly, being able to eat grass is pretty strange. I didn't think Cantrians were cow people.

And eating an onion is any more normal?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:23 pm

So you want 1% natural healing a day as long as you aren't hungry? That would be very fast to implement (I guess especially since I still have the file open after the previous edit) but I haven't looked into resting before. Wasn't there some sort of a bug in the past that allowed resting while working on something else? It would be good to know that resting wasn't bugged before it was given extra value.
Not-so-sad panda
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:26 pm

SekoETC wrote:So you want 1% natural healing a day as long as you aren't hungry? That would be very fast to implement (I guess especially since I still have the file open after the previous edit) but I haven't looked into resting before. Wasn't there some sort of a bug in the past that allowed resting while working on something else? It would be good to know that resting wasn't bugged before it was given extra value.

I think it's as long as you aren't tired...
Last edited by SekoETC on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You had bbcode off so the quote wasn't properly displayed
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Can we make it both? If you want to heal naturally properly, you need to take care of yourself.
My old banner ;)
nova hero

Postby nova hero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

my very first character was near beaten to death for 'stealing', so i put him on the road to try to escape. when i logged in again i was told he had died, and not knowing the ways of cantr i presumed he'd bled to death on the road, only finding out later by email that he'd been finished off with an axe. my second character has been carrying damage from two slaps for years, so how about this for 'realism'- 0-40% so much pc. natural healing 40-60% no change 60% so much pc. damage increase each day?
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 pm

That's a nice concept. Natural healing + Natural deterioration of wounds, the more severely hurt you are the faster. And it's a good idea to make furniture improve the natural healing rates so that they are something more than an entirely useless 1% per day. (3 months for a character to naturally recover from severe woundedness? come on, that may be "realistic" but it isn't reasonable game-wise)
nova hero

Postby nova hero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm

0-20% damage, 1 pc. natural healing per day 20-40% 2 pc. healing, 40-60% no change unaided, 60-80% 1pc. increase damage per day, 80-99% 2pc. increase damage? natural healing would take away some need for healing foods, but bleeding to death would make having or getting it rather vital. also we'd have a new cause of death, dying by trauma or bleeding to death, and, would get to role dying
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Welcome nova hero. What is pc in your post?
My old banner ;)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”