Cancelation of Projects

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

BZR

Re: Cancelation of Projects

Postby BZR » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Can't we just implement like Dudel wrote, do we really need to make this "reverted progressing"?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Do we actually have to consider projects which have been worked on at all? If it is beyond 0% you should have the necessary means to complete it. Transforming it into a diassembly project with 100-x% completion status would be nice, but I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a player to finish the project and disassemble the machine afterwards if it is indeed unwanted. (Disassembly projects are also not yet available for every type of item, so that would be another difficulty.)

The real problem are the projects you can't finish, either because of a lack of the proper tools or of the proper materials. I think we should concentrate on the projects with 0% completion for now.
Pretty in pink.
AlchemicRaker

Postby AlchemicRaker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Alright then, how about some sort of reclaiming project?

Basically, you'd just target a project thats at 0%, and create a reclaiming project (it would be timeless, sort of like resting).

Each hour, it would check for whatever resource is currently added to the project (like if a project requires salt and meat, and it has all the salt but no meat) and start to reclaim that resource as though it was being harvested as a natural resource. (so the salt would be reclaimed at 31 per hour, or 250 per day)

I realize this would only work on natural resources though. Perhaps reclaiming at a constant rate would be better... say 400 grams per hour?

The reclaiming project could return the resources back to the original project's owner (to prevent stealing when the owner is around).

Objects that are required (like buttons on clothing items) would be removed first, at a rate of one item per hour.

Thoughts?

- Natso
BZR

Postby BZR » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 pm

I think it is too complicated. Removing projects which haven't been worked on can be implemented in 15 mins. This feature won't be too often used I think (just see how "often" people use regular disassembling feature)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:51 pm

It would be useful if there was a project that would delete all projects in a location that are at 0% and have no materials added. This is because I occasionally click on the cancel button for everything on the list since it's faster than checking their pages for if they have progress or not, but this means sending separate queries for each project. Naturally it should only affect projects that are old enough to be canceled. I was going to include the query that would do just that but seeing that this is a public forum, it might not be so wise.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 am

BZR wrote:I think it is too complicated. Removing projects which haven't been worked on can be implemented in 15 mins. This feature won't be too often used I think (just see how "often" people use regular disassembling feature)

Alright, so someone go ahead and implement it. This isn't health care reform - we can do one component at a time instead of all at once.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 am

In response to Natso's post. (My internet went down just the moment I was posting this, so it's about 12 hours late.)

Seems a bit artificial if you consider that the adding of the resources doesn't take any time at all. I imagine resources used on a project basically just as a pile on the ground, which should be able to be taken just like that.

I would just make the project cancelable after a certain time (the normal duration of the project?), returning the resources immediately, with an option to guard the pile after that time. Joining a project without all necessary materials could for example be interpreted as guarding. You wouldn't make any progress, but a thief would also not be able to steal the materials.

Resource gathering projects could just be cancelable anytime if not worked upon, returning an amount of resources proportional to the progress (target_amount_of_resource * progress * +/-20%).
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Piscator wrote:I would just make the project cancelable after a certain time [sic], returning the resources immediately,

Yes. Let's get this done. Same rules as new project cancellation. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Piscator wrote: ...with an option to guard the pile after that time. Joining a project without all necessary materials could for example be interpreted as guarding. You wouldn't make any progress, but a thief would also not be able to steal the materials.

Over-complication. If you don't want your resources stolen, work on the project or don't set it up until you're ready.

Piscator wrote:Resource gathering projects could just be cancelable anytime if not worked upon, returning an amount of resources proportional to the progress (target_amount_of_resource * progress * +/-20%).

I think this is abuseable, which is why I suggested progress rot similar to resource rot. However, this is not relevant to getting the former implemented right now.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:50 pm

If projects are designed to be uncancelable when being worked on, all that needs to be done to allow "guarding" is to allow joining a project whose resource requirements are not yet met and create the appropriate messages. It would be much like working on a project without having all tools. Doesn't sound too complicated, but it might indeed be unnecessary.

Doug R. wrote:
Piscator wrote:
Resource gathering projects could just be cancelable anytime if not worked upon, returning an amount of resources proportional to the progress (target_amount_of_resource * progress * +/-20%).

I think this is abuseable, which is why I suggested progress rot similar to resource rot. However, this is not relevant to getting the former implemented right now.

I have no idea how one could possibly abuse this. You start a project for 2000g of carrots, work on it until you reach 50% and then decide you have something better to do with your time. You abort the project and get 2000g * 50% = 1000g of carrots +/- the usual 20%. It would be exactly the same as if you started a project for 1000g of carrots right from the start.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Piscator wrote:I have no idea how one could possibly abuse this.

I can, and it's not pretty. Add abandoned project thieves to the list of irritating characters.

Scenario 1) Joe leaves his 15 day gold project and steps inside for a little time with his wife. Comes out, the project is gone and so is 7 days of work.

Scenerio 2) This gets implemented, and I take my car and drive through all the abandoned towns canceling the partially worked on projects for an immediate reward, becoming wealthy in a matter of a few days.

Allowing this only undermines the purported slow-paced nature of Cantr in favor of those fast enough to snatch, grab, and get away with it.

At least now if you want to "steal" a project, you need to put in at least an hour of work on it.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Well, you are forgetting that anybody could just cancel their own project when they go somewhere else. Joe could cash his 7 days worth of gold and start a new project when he finished talking to his wife.

Driving around and collecting abandoned projects would only be effective in a transitional phase until all such projects are harvested. I assume there a people driving around scrapping abandoned machines this very moment. It's only a temporary phenomenon and shouldn't keep us from implementing an otherwise good idea.
Pretty in pink.
FrankieLeonie

Postby FrankieLeonie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I was gone from my town for two years only to come back and have my anvil gone. I don't trust a lock on a building I might be gone a year or more from, and can't carry all my stuff with me. At least tying it up in a project I will need to complete anyways give me a way to keep stuff safe.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Implemented by psychowico some time ago.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Dawid
Programming Dept. Member

Postby Dawid » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:40 pm

Why we can't cancel project "destroying lock"?
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 am

Because it would make escape from captivity impossible? :?
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”