I want editable notes to disappear after erasing content.

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:13 pm

With regard to the original suggestion, how easy would it be to make a note disappear when the content is erased? We wouldn't even need a new button for it.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:49 pm

I doubt it would be that hard. I could try it in the test enviroment.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Would be great if you could make that work. I think it would improve the interface nicely if empty notes would join their invisible, virgin brothers, waiting in your invetory to be put to use. :wink:
Pretty in pink.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Nice you found it. Thank you Pisc. Sorry I didn't have to time to look for it lots of company dropped by last night. This would be very usefull.
My old banner ;)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:51 pm

It works in the test environment now. You can still save new notes as blank, but if you edit them and try to save a blank note, it will delete it from both tables. It doesn't affect copies since they have a different id (unless they are uneditable in which case they couldn't be edited and thus it doesn't apply). I also included a fix for bugged notes so that if you try to edit a note that doesn't exist in the notes table, it will insert it there. I don't know how bugged notes are created in the first place so I can't prevent that, but they will stop being bugged.
Not-so-sad panda
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Notes editable and not-editable should be deleteable with a fingersnap.

Yes, caring about history, Cantrians should do it, not the engine. Just like in reallife where secured archives are an important institution, and a destruction of one (as occassionally happens) is a little drama (at least for scholars).

About the newspan in town deleting notes the same, thats why you keep an archive of important notes where you can grap copies from. The problem is only a little highthened in cantr, because notes function as information boards as well. Therefore keep that seperate, make a board buildable, which takes time, where you can write the city rules on it and all that stuff, and which is not easily destroyable.
Last edited by catpurr on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:43 pm

You could already do that with signs although it would be rather slow and they would appear on the buildings page rather than objects. Anyway, how long should we wait before implementing this?
Not-so-sad panda
catpurr

Postby catpurr » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:49 pm

SekoETC wrote:You could already do that with signs although it would be rather slow and they would appear on the buildings page rather than objects.

Yes, you could do that, but messageboards would be much better because they are not so slow and appear on the objects.

Anyway, how long should we wait before implementing this?

I appreciate this fix that empty notes get deleted. However somehow I'd love to have a real satisfactory solution instead of a little workaround which only fixes a small part of the coreproblem.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Well, as long as this fix doesn't make further fixes impossible, I don't see your problem. I also don't see uneditable notes as a problem. Notes are an entirely unrealistic concept, so we shouldn't apply real life standards too closely here.

As for the implementation, let's not hurry it. People should have time to comment on it and we will need an okay from Jos anyway, so I would just let it sit here for the next two weeks or so.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Two weeks? Gee... Can we at least move it to accepted?
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Indeed, this is probably the easiest way to hear some crtitical voices if there are any.
Pretty in pink.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Re: I want editable notes to disappear after erasing content.

Postby Piscator » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Hmm. This has been sitting here long enough, I guess. (Sorry, forgot a bit about it.)

As there seem to be no objections, we should commit the code to Jos now and see what he says about it.
Pretty in pink.
Doug R.

Re:

Postby Doug R. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 pm

SekoETC wrote:It works in the test environment now. You can still save new notes as blank, but if you edit them and try to save a blank note, it will delete it from both tables. It doesn't affect copies since they have a different id (unless they are uneditable in which case they couldn't be edited and thus it doesn't apply). I also included a fix for bugged notes so that if you try to edit a note that doesn't exist in the notes table, it will insert it there. I don't know how bugged notes are created in the first place so I can't prevent that, but they will stop being bugged.

Geez, I thought this was submitted already! I see no reason why Jos needs to be consulted on this, unless I missed something. It's just blank notes, right? And we desperately need that bugged note fix.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm

I have no objections.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 pm

It's implemented now. I don't have one of the bugged notes so that I could check with those but I believe it should work. Deleting when saving as blank works as intended.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”