Bikinis

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Elros

Postby Elros » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Piscator wrote:That's true. The problem is though, that you can't see the bra when just wearing trousers. (I'm saying that just in case you missed the point and weren't just answering Wiro's post :wink: .)

Oh ok! I didn't realize that. I thought that shirts covered bras, and pants covered panties. I did not realize that it covered all undergarments. I can see where that would cause a problem.
Every action has a consequence.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Moving this to accepted - for splitting bikini's into tops and bottoms.

While loincloths currently do exist, I wouldn't consider them the same as a bikini bottom. Bikini bottoms are tight-fitting, while loincloths tend to be baggy, may have hanging material in the front and/or back, and are just generally nasty looking.

I would suggest:

1) Remove all bikini's from the production menu
2) Add new split bikinis at the same time
3) Announce when all old bikinis will be converted
4) Convert

Done.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:57 pm

We are in the process of implementing this suggestion and encountered a little problem in naming the new items. The obvious choice would of course be to just call them "bikini top" and "bikini bottom". In an attempt to make it more gender neutral (in case of the bottom) and also shorter I proposed the names "bra" and "briefs". I have now been made aware that this might change the preception of the bikinis in many people's eyes immensely.

I would like to ask now which terms would be most acceptable, keeping in mind that they are intended to be worn as underwear as well as a main garment and should optimally be gender neutral in case of the bottom.
Pretty in pink.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 pm

I read "briefs" as a very male oriented item, yes.

"Bra" & "Underwear/Undergarment"? I think that would work... maybe.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Piscator wrote:I would like to ask now which terms would be most acceptable, keeping in mind that they are intended to be worn as underwear as well as a main garment and should optimally be gender neutral in case of the bottom.

Dudel wrote:"Bra" & "Underwear/Undergarment"? I think that would work... maybe.

Bras and underwear are not meant to be worn as a main garment, at least not in public.

Let me rephrase and simplify the issue/question:

If hide/leather/fur bikinis were split into tops and bottoms, what should be the best name for them?

bikini top/bikini bottom (seems to imply a type of swimwear)

bra/briefs (seems to imply underwear)

Something entirely new?
Last edited by Doug R. on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FiziKx

Postby FiziKx » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Hey, some guys might want to wear a 'Bikini Bottom' and 'Bikini Top'
http://arcanot.myminicity.com/
http://fizikx.mybrute.com

Dudel

Postby Dudel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Upper Simple Covering

Lower Simple Covering

:?:

IUNO!
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Keep in mind that a "treated snakeskin lower simple covering" would be slightly impractical.

edit: I think pants oder underpants would be suitable, but I guess there would be some BE/AE confusion. I think we could settle for "bikini briefs" since there seem to be such clothes for both genders, but I'd like hear input from all the English speaking world.
Pretty in pink.
Elros

Postby Elros » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 pm

In the English speaking world "briefs" are very male oriented...

In the English speaking world "bikinis" are very female oriented...

I suggest "upper undergarment" and "lower undergarment" for gender neutrality.

Character Description would read "Wearing a lower undergarment made of hide".

:?:
Every action has a consequence.
FiziKx

Postby FiziKx » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 pm

how bout make both briefs, AND bikinis! same materials, diff items.
http://arcanot.myminicity.com/
http://fizikx.mybrute.com

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

It seems pretty absurd to clutter the database and the clothes menu with pairs of practically identical items just because of a language issue.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:31 pm

The bikinis used to be a feminine item, thus when split into parts it should remain a primarily feminine item and if men are ready to wear the underpart due to the description being neutral then good for them. Although I've seen women wearing cotton briefs so even if the underpart of the bikinis was called just hide/fur briefs instead of hide/fur bikini briefs, I doubt very many players would get anal about that. It's the description that people see when it's worn, not the name. And people are half-naked when wearing them, but if they can't afford anything better then they will soon get over the "zomg, I'm wearing underwear in public!!" stage. People not being able to reach consensus about small details like this is probably the main reason why many things fail to get implemented.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:07 pm

I think our best choice would be "bikini briefs" and "bikini top".

Wikipedia wrote:Bikini underwear

Types of underwear worn by both men and women are identified as bikini underwear, similar in size and revealing nature to the bottom half of a bikini bathing suit. For women, bikini underwear can refer to virtually any tight, skimpy, or revealing undergarment that provides less coverage to the midsection than traditional underwear, panties or knickers. For men, a bikini is a type of undergarment that is smaller and more revealing than men's briefs.

If you make a google picture search, you find almost as much male versions as female versions, so I think that should be fine.

For everyone who thinks that's too skimpy, I would have no problem with adding shorts of the respective materials (wich could be rp'ed as boxer shorts, boyshorts, hot pants or whatever else there is).
Pretty in pink.
Chasing Dingoes

Postby Chasing Dingoes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 pm

I think it should be remain being called bikinis/bikini top and/or bottoms. The 'lower under garment/upper under garment' that's away that va va voom of a bikini.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Piscator wrote:I think our best choice would be "bikini briefs" and "bikini top".

I prefer bikini top and bikini bottom. Men don't wear them now anyway, so worrying about it being gender neutral doesn't seem to be worth the bother. I also think it's the closest in spirit to the existing one-piece items.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”