Instead of Whispering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Piscator wrote:By the way, can you see from the outside when people inside a vehicle are whispering? If that is the case, vehicles grant perfect privacy even with the current implementation already. If you can't see people talking, you can't overhear them either.

Yes, you can.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Then it might be a good idea to change it.
Pretty in pink.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:07 pm

I think it is because of being in a different location.

I am not sure about whispering with someone outside of the vehicle.

- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.

Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Well, I know one thing - this new change has made an otherwise not-so-paranoid couple of people VERY PARANOID!! LOL
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:07 pm

I've yet to see this as a problem and have heard ONLY ONE whisper. Then again my characters already "hate" whispering so they kinda get "antsy" in general about said whispers. Give or take
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Genevieve wrote:Well, I know one thing - this new change has made an otherwise not-so-paranoid couple of people VERY PARANOID!! LOL

And the already paranoid people freak out?

Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Caesar wrote:
Genevieve wrote:Well, I know one thing - this new change has made an otherwise not-so-paranoid couple of people VERY PARANOID!! LOL

And the already paranoid people freak out?

Yeah, haha. See, it did change their rp quite a bit in terms of how they dealt with a few people - jic those ppl overheard them.
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:29 pm

I could always use some more other paranoid per...

What I mean to say is that I am not paranoid, and that it disgusts me if people just can't trust others.

muidoido

Re: Instead of Whispering

Postby muidoido » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Given the unbearable amount of whisper in some places in game, and the lack of good manners I've been seeing around from some players, maybe changing the "overhear %" to something 20 - 30X higher would improve the overall experience of the game a lot. Important or sexual matters should be taken indoors anyway.

A big bump to this suggestion!
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Overhearing a whisper was one of my favorite things in Cantr and it sometimes helped my characters quite a bit.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am

Please. I've seen walls of 30+ whispers, and my character hasn't been able to overhear a single one.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm

I have never understood why this is an issue.. It's so easy to see everything that isn't a whisper even inside a wall of whispers, the text lines up perfectly and you can see any lines that arent part of the whispering. You can also opt fo select whispers to not light up your character for events. Whispering is an essential part of the game and of real life. I see actual people whispering around me all the time, on the bus, in classes, among my friends, and guess what? I've never once been upset that human beings talk quietly to each other. Literally every day, my little brother and his wife sit on my couch and murmur-argue with each other just loud enough that I can hear but not understand, and I ignore it, it doesn't destroy my whole day lmao. Likewise I've never felt upset in this game over whispers except if I overheard something nasty, and I've been here 8 or 9 years now, whispering never bothered me, in fact I get upset when everyone has their personal conversations in town aloud, I have to wake up every morning and read hours of conversations to see anything relevant to my character.

I wish people would whisper MORE, so I don't have to read it all, it's not realistic that my character can hear two people chatting about yarn on the other side of town, but I have to sort through it all to see if anyone spoke to me, and when a conversation only involves two people and all they do is chit chat about the weather, I don't need to read all that, it doesn't contribute to my gameplay whether they whisper it or not. With whispers I just scroll on past, easily find what is relevant to me. But the thing that's most annoying is how normally cool characters suddenly get mad when we whisper. I don't want to go inside, I'm working on a project, I also want to talk to someone and not a whole town, excuuuuse me. You really want to read all of someone's playful banter with their significant other? All the time? You want them to go inside and not make any progress on things the town needs because you can't stand whispering that is implied to be silent? I think we have too many people going inside for days on end already, everyone sleeps and nothing gets done, and tje whole world seems to have been Thanos-snapped in half the last couple years. I'm happy there are even characters left to whisper to! I mean, aren't you?

So I say, let people whisper, for crying out loud, it's not nearly as frustrating as thieves, or pirates, or people eating all the food in your town and vomiting it up, it's not even a real issue in-character, it's something players don't like because we all want something to rp off of, I do to, we wait and wait for something to engage with, like some dialogue, but we shouldn't be getting so angry when someone else doesn't include us in their rp, that we have to ruin the game for them by suggesting they not be allowed to continue playing the same way when it actually isn't harming your gameplay, and in fact, forcing them to go inside or not speak at all, will make Cantr even more dead than it has been, and it's already been hit hard enough that I feel imposing anything to hinder whispers will cause more damage to populous and activity. Besides that, it's OOC and really hard to defend against because it's like your usually nice characters get angry at someone for whispering because the players are annoyed. And that's how it always feels to me when a character throws a fit about whispers, it feels 100% OOC motivated, not like it's even the same character anymore.

Edit to add: please do not increase whisper overhearing, my characters hear probably one out of every 20 to 30 whispers on heavy days, one in Klojt hears sometimes 2 or 3 whispers in the same conversations and it's ridiculous because, again, I don't enjoy reading stuff that isn't relevant to him.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”