Objects Astetics

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

TatteredShoeLace

Objects Astetics

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:27 pm

I always found it odd to have resources and some tools above the machines, and then more hammers below barrels and such, and then an anvil, and then more 'clickable' machines....for the simplicity of organizing a workshop, I would like to see it as so:

Lock no. (lock/unlcock)
Notes
Envelopes
Resources
Tools/weapons/unfinished projects
Storage
Machines you must click to activate
Nonclickables (anvil, etc)
Radio
Furniture

I don't really care what we have, as long as its a little cleaner than it is currently. And adding keys to the top makes sense for organization, as does putting envelopes closer to notes. All objects should be grouped together, and I think it should only be a matter or readjusting some code. Just a thought.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
Pie

Postby Pie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:10 pm

Kewal.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:51 pm

Along similar lines, maybe split it into columns? None of the object names take up that much space, note names maybe.

So maybe after notes and envelopes there could be two columns - resources and tools on one side, machines and other objects (furniture) on the other
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:20 pm

I read something about this in flyspray or wherever. I think it is in the "pipeline". Anyway it is already suggested. :)
MrPenguin589

Postby MrPenguin589 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:47 pm

EchoMan wrote:I read something about this in flyspray or wherever. I think it is in the "pipeline". Anyway it is already suggested. :)

Then let's accept it!
All of my endings are waiting to begin.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:11 am

Moved to accepted.

Seeing as it's already on flyspray.
wulf

Postby wulf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:36 am

How about including some code on the page to allow sections to be folded and unfolded (using Javascript and CSS). The default option would be to show everything (backwards compatibility) but, with any modern browser, a couple of clicks could hide your three hundred notes and let you see what resources you're carrying without five pages of scrolling.

This wouldn't place any additional load on the server, apart from including a couple of extra tags to mark the inventory (or objects list) into different sections but I think it would improve the user interface. I've got relevant code from a web project I've done if there's interest in this idea.

Wulf
Chris Johnson

Re: Objects Astetics

Postby Chris Johnson » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:02 pm

Just a couple of points

1) Just because a feature request is in flyspray does not mean that a suggestion should be automatically accepted. Flyspray feature requests can be added by any registered user exactly as anybody make a new topic in the suggestion forum

2) I can find no record of an Object ordering suggestion in Flyspray

3) I think this is an excellent idea and 95% of what TSL proposes can be achieved with a simple change to one bit of code . This method will not differentiate between "non usable" and "usable" machines and there may be an issue with notes/dead bodies/envelopes and keys which will require a little more thought from a programming point of view but not insumountable.

I'll pass this back to TSL , as a member of the Resource Dept . Can you or someone in resources give ProgD a definitive sort order based on the objecttype categories ? PM or email for more details.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:06 pm

Since I am still a tenderfoot when it comes to RD things, I will see if anyone can help me out in RD. But I'm posting there now.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”