Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:56 am

YOU NO SPEAK ENGLISH!
*gives Pie a big slap*
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Pie

Postby Pie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 pm

I like pie.

Anyway, so whats the point of this game? the last person to say that they are sparticus wins a big mac and a PEPSI!?!?!?(You can have the pepsi if i Win... I hate colas... Exept for the cherry vanilla coke, that one is pretty good..... I LIKE ROOT BEER!!!)
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn

Paranormal Investigation Exorsism

Pick In Enter

Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:50 am

But Sparticus didn't speak Japanese, he spoke Latin, ergo (notice the usage of the latin word 'ergo') I win.

Ha.

And if I win, someone can have my Pepsi too. I hate carbination.
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:29 am

ummm, that guy over there is Sparticus, just don't whip me anymore.
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
west

Postby west » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 am

I'm Spartacus!
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Nosajimiki

Postby Nosajimiki » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:46 am

:x Has the world lost all since of creativity? Back in the day, I would have been able to go into a crowded forum and be like "hey Jason!" or "hey Sparticus" and I'd have just that one person be like "hey Nosajimiki, how's it hang'en". Now you ask for a Sparticus and BOOM! every body thinks your lookin for them. Why can't parents just give their kids unique names Reljimor or Dumbass... yup, aint many kids these day's named Dumbass. Hmmmm... *looks for little brother's birth certificate*
#004400 is my favorite color.
Floris

Postby Floris » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:44 am

Nalaris wrote:But Sparticus didn't speak Japanese, he spoke Latin, ergo (notice the usage of the latin word 'ergo') I win.

Ha.

And if I win, someone can have my Pepsi too. I hate carbination.

Spartacus was a Greek slave(from Thrace I believe), ERGO he would speak Greek!

Spartakos eimi
Diego

Postby Diego » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:14 am

Spartacus is usually not considered Greek, but Thracian, which was not the same. Thracians spoke Thracian and Dacian. Regardless, Spartacus would have been enslaved likely when defecting the Roman forces in Macedonia, thus implying he would've spoken vulgar latin.

However, Spartacus does literally mean "from Sparta", so it's more of an open question.
Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.
Floris

Postby Floris » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:53 am

"Origins of Spartacus

Many sources claim that Spartacus was a Thracian, enslaved either when captured fighting against Rome or after being outlawed for mutinying or deserting from the Roman auxiliary forces in Macedonia. (The auxiliary forces were made up entirely of men from subject lands who willingly fought for the Romans.) That he was actually a Thracian is debated. While the Roman army was indeed campaigning in Thrace and Macedonia at the age Spartacus was likely to have been enslaved, Roman gladiators at that time were always one of two types: Gauls and Thracians. One did not actually have to be a Gaul or Thracian in order to be trained in one of the two schools of gladiatorial style, so Spartacus may have later become known as "Thracian" simply because he was trained in the Thracian gladiator style. Plutarch described Spartacus as "intelligent and cultured, being more like a Greek than a Thracian".[1] Spartacus means "from the city of Sparta" in Latin. [2]" (Wikipedia)

Well you seem to be right here, Diego. However I would claim that if he were to say I am Spartacus he would speak his mother tongue(ofcourse you can discuss in what period in his life you would have him say it).

Anyway the language being extinct, I don't know Thracian(though I'd suspect it be rather close to (Ancient)Greek). Anyone?
Diego

Postby Diego » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 pm

From what I understand, Thracian and Dacian are rather a mystery to modern linguists, since there is very few material in either language left to analyze, and it hasn't been decidedly placed anywhere within the Indoeuropean languages. However, Romanian (most importantly), Albanian, Macedonian and other languages in the area likely possess cognates and roots drawn from Thracian and Dacian. If I recall correctly, Romanian has a great number of words or roots with no apparent origin and of vague balkanic structure, very probable inheritance of Thraco-Dacian languages in the region.
Pie

Postby Pie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:22 pm

oooh.... so... I'M SPARTICUS!!!
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn

Paranormal Investigation Exorsism

Pick In Enter

Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:57 am

And to think we almost had intelligent discussion going there for a bit...*sigh*
Augery

Postby Augery » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:07 am

Diego wrote:However, Spartacus does literally mean "from Sparta", so it's more of an open question.

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently he was given the name Spartacus by his owners as a marketing thing, The Spartans being more famous as warriors than the Thracians.
Diego

Postby Diego » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:21 am

That would be a strange thing, considering Thracian and Gaul were the two styles of Gladiator fighting training existing at the time.

Return to “Forum Games”