The Muck Pond

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Schme

Postby Schme » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:50 am

Right on.

See you guys, at least someone has some taste.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
Varrius

Postby Varrius » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:12 am

One of the first players, returns, to well, announce his return to the world of Cantr forum games, huzzah.
Schme

Postby Schme » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:24 am

Holy shit, Varrius. It's been a while. How're you doing?

Welcome back, in any event.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."

Joseph Stalin
Pie

Postby Pie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:43 am

oh my gosh VARIUS!!

how can you only make 44 posts?
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Fleegle

My absence

Postby Fleegle » Thu May 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi everyone, back from the dead, it's Fleegle. First off, let me apologize for the way the game fizzled and died, and for my relatively unexplained disappearance from the forums. The explanation is unfortunately quite boring - I simply haven't had the time or energy to put into Cantr or the forum games. Too much else on my plate, other projects, commitments, etc.
Anyways, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see that you guys liked the game enough to want to resurrect it. I really wish I could resurrect it myself, but I'd be lying to myself and you guys if I said I could manage it. That said, while I would prefer it that the current game and the story, characters etc. that I developed were not taken over by another game master, I totally encourage you guys to start a similar game - and I don't even mind if the locations, NPCs and such are similar - I did, after all, model the characters after classic mythological archetypes, and some of the characters are quite obvious versions of figures from other mythologies (For instance, the minor forest god Bassus is quite obviously the Greek god Bacchus - his name is even pretty much the same).
Obviously, your own characters are your own creations and I encourage you to use those characters or similar ones in another forum game - especially those of you that invested a lot of thought and care in designing your characters. Again I apologize for essentially abandoning the game because you guys did seem to put a lot of effort into your characters and the game in general - and I did you a disservice by failing to honour my commitment to the game.
If you do create another game (perhaps you have already - I haven't had a chance to really look over the rest of the forum yet) I would very much like to have a character in that game. I think I can handle that much of a commitment, at least over the summer months :).

And one more thing - I might as well reveal some of my Cantr characters since most of them are dead (owing to the same reasons the forum game died) - I was Jake Longridge, Victoria Lungbust, and that Gus guy that was kind of slow (I'm embarrassed, I don't even remember his last name). There were numerous others, but none of them were all that memorable or acheived much in their lifetimes. Oh, I was also Carl Anders.
Snake_byte

Re: The Muck Pond

Postby Snake_byte » Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Anyone out there good at dungeon mastering? This forum game wouldn't be bad to bring back.

Fleegle wrote:I thought I would start a fun little RPG here. It is more in the spirit of Adanac than the more traditional RPG. Basically, I will write the events and actions of NPCs and provide the game world, and you guys get to play characters of your design. I will set up a few ground rules and some background story and we'll go from there. Anyone is welcome to create a character, but please obey the rules. Since I am not a moderator I can't edit your posts, so I'm going to use the honour system. Please don't muck up my game :) (no pun intended)

The game will be in the style of Zork and Myst. That means a weird world unrelated to the RL world, a self-contained mystical universe filled with weird characters and odd causal properties.

Your character doesn't need to be a boring human. You can make some strange alien being or animal hybrid or whatever you want, but you can't write any magical powers in. Your character can have great physical attributes but it cannot be invincible (considered a magic power). I will bestow each one of you with a special (ie. magical) ability once you create your character. You can use this ability until I say otherwise :). Don't worry, I will be fair and won't play favourites. If your character dies, either through my action or the action of another character, you can spawn a new character from the Muck Pond.

There is no need for a background story for your character. You will emerge from the Muck Pond fully formed and have no history. Just describe your character and his/her/its physical abilities and describe your actions. Try to keep it relatively short, say 3-5 paragraphs per post (or less if you aren't feeling creative that day) to keep it fair for the other players.

I will begin the game in my next post, giving you the details of the immediate area you start in, and some of the places you can go to. Note that this is not a traditional RPG but more of an interactive story. Have fun and feel free to be whimsical... that is what this game is all about.

A few more notes before I begin. If your character decides to go to another location, such as the Old Temple, the last thing you should describe is actually travelling to that location. That allows me to fill in some of the details of the location.

Okay, here we go.......
My old banner ;)
Sandra

Postby Sandra » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 am

I would love to join if anyone would be interested in running this.
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Oh, wow, this account is still a thing. Guess that saves me the trouble of making a new one, although it also means that I'll have to deal with the repercussions of my 13-year old self's actions for the first time since I was 13.

Anyways. I GM stuff occasionally. People seem to like it. Can I ask what it is you guys actually want to see out of this game? i.e. why do you like it and, if I were to take over as GM or create a spiritual successor, what would you want to see in it? Also it is 10 days later, so are you still here?

Return to “Forum Games”