Fantasy Role Playing Game Discussion (Ideas Welcome)

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Pie

Postby Pie » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:09 pm

uh.... some guy gets..... all i have is stuff in the futcher.

how about this. a guy in 1400AD is infected with a parasite witch only comes out every malinya, and is able to live fore 1000 years,(until the parasite leavs his body to go to a different person) but he has to live with the parasite. its year 2005. how will he ceep his secret? and HE(or she) IS INVINCIBLE!
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:17 am

what about a world without pie? no delicious pie for the natives.

hmm...

someone mentioned clashing the old-school DnD concepts with a newer age setting...

so, what happens when Denver falls under siege from the dragons that have been hidden in the Rockies for centuries? and perhaps there's an evil wizardly-type behind the madness?
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Surly

Postby Surly » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:40 pm

I cannot stand any type of D&D modern. If that is what this turns into, count me out.

I prefer 'High Fantasy' and I do not believe it overdone... I find it a lot more fun than modern.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
AoM

Postby AoM » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, Surly. I like James Oliver Rigney's series too. (Robert Jordan is a pen name.) And I'm a huge fan of high fantasy. Perhaps that's the reason I'm calling for something with a modern twist.

I'm not saying you have to use real modern places. Or real world history. But putting things into a more modern setting can be fun. I'm a huge fan of White Wolf stuff for example... the blending of supernatural with modern tech is a cool dynamic.
Schme

Postby Schme » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Everyone knows it's a pen name. It's just that nobody cares.

How about one where I rule the world and everybody worships me?

No joke. It would be great.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:13 am

But secretly everone is plotting a revolt against you?

I like... :twisted: :wink:
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
west

Postby west » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:37 am

The Surly Cantrian wrote:I cannot stand any type of D&D modern. If that is what this turns into, count me out.

I prefer 'High Fantasy' and I do not believe it overdone... I find it a lot more fun than modern.

I'm with you. Raymond Feist, Lord Dunsany, JRR Tolkien.

Robt Jordan is upper-middle fantasy. Better than almost everything but the high stuff. I'd say the same for George RR Martin's series, but I only read the first one and I was feverish and delusional at the time.

Any fantasy wherein people converse with dragons and do not get eaten is stupid. Witness the incredibly malicious and intelligent Ancalagon the Black in Silmarillion for an example of a GOOD fantasy dragon (as in well-written and awesome) and the entire Pern series (and Zod knows how many others) for the opposite.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
AoM

Postby AoM » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:25 am

Okay, so you guys like high fantasy. That's fine. Rock on.

I'm curious though, what do you feel about H.P. Lovecraft's works? The D20 Call of Cthulu rpg? I've never played that one in particular, but Gothic Horror has always struck me as equally as fun as high fantasy systems.
west

Postby west » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:37 am

Lovecraft is acceptable and original. His endless derivatives, though? I dunno.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Surly

Postby Surly » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:17 pm

west wrote:I'm with you. Raymond Feist, Lord Dunsany, JRR Tolkien.

Robt Jordan is upper-middle fantasy. Better than almost everything but the high stuff. I'd say the same for George RR Martin's series, but I only read the first one and I was feverish and delusional at the time.
Well, Feist is my favourite fantasy author. He blows everyone else away, IMO.

As for Jordan... I hate his writing style, but I love playing WoT D20.

And Call of Cthulu rpg? It's okay if you play with good role-players... but I get frustrated if I lose too many characters in a session... (I lost 3 last time, I think. Or maybe 4...) But it is different, and change can be good.

But I still love my fantasy. Especially dark fantasy... whereby I mean truly evil villains, and the good guys not always winning. Can you tell I'm a bastard DM? :D
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Schme

Postby Schme » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:01 pm

Nixit wrote:But secretly everone is plotting a revolt against you?

I like... :twisted: :wink:

But then being dramatically crushed by my secret police, leaving me to continue my reign unimpeeded.

Classic.

Joseph Stalin
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:37 pm

The Surly Cantrian wrote:Can you tell I'm a bastard DM? :D

Yes :)

A tiny group of my friends... actually, two are my brothers... are closet d20 Modern addicts. I've always wanted to play the original DnD setting, but d20 Modern suffices for the time being. It's actually pretty exciting when you spray someone with SMG bullets only to have them plink off of their skin like raindrops. Magic and guns in the same place is often pretty cool.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:

Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Fleegle

Postby Fleegle » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:52 am

I'm don't know very much about the Fantasy genre or even very much about RPGs in general... but I was thinking a Zork/Myst style game would be cool. A world with its own bizarre metaphysics, quirky characters, and all-around strangeness.
Varrius

Postby Varrius » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:03 am

I like modern fantasy style games like shadowrun, I wouldnt mind being a moderator for any of these kinds of games modern or not. I also have a large colleciton of sourcebooks which I could use as a reference to help run the game, if you want me as GM plase PM me otherewise ill most likely just be a character.
Schme

Postby Schme » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:22 pm

I've played shadowrunner for super nentendo. Is there another one, besides the video games of it, I mean?

Joseph Stalin

Return to “Forum Games”