The Murderer and the Psychic

Forum to play non-Cantr related games on the forum

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

The Murderer and the Psychic

Postby Snickie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:27 pm

I was reading through some old Murderer and Psychic (shorthand M&P) posts on another forum, and I decided I want to start one up here, if anybody is interested. If anybody has played the card game "Mafia", then they should have a general idea of what this is about. But just in case, I'll post the gist of it all. Shamelessly quoted, of course. 8)

Snickie's friend Kelly wrote:Who — the host, a murderer, a psychic, regular members

What — The murderer kills one person off by round (can be either regular members or the psychic). The psychic tries to hint in the thread who the murderer is by pointing to clues that are hidden in the scenes that the host(s) writes. The trick is that the psychic needs to act like a regular member and arouse no suspicion so that the murderer doesn’t kill him/her off. Once the psychic is gone, s/he’s gone for good for this game. The regular members also try to figure out the clues though they have no indication of whether they’re guessing right or not — the psychic doesn’t necessarily need to guess right, s/he just needs to make logical connections.

How — There are as many rounds as can be done. The game will either end because the murderer has been voted off (and therefore cannot kill anyone anymore) or because the murderer has made it to the end of the game without getting voted off. Voting will be done by PMs. You PM the host(s) with your vote of whom you think is guilty of being the murderer and the votes are all tallied up. If there is a tie, no one gets voted off. It doesn’t happen too often though, so usually there’s one person voted off every round. One thing to remember is that voting is crucial! The murderer will still kill people whether or not someone gets voted off that round, and if you don’t vote…if the murderer decides to vote and his vote is the only vote, then his vote does indeed make it that an innocent person is voted off. Really guys. We need to get this ebil murdurur here. Let’s not be counterproductive.

When — As I said, there are rounds. Before the first kill, the host usually writes a short and sweet (or lovely and long) introduction scene showcasing all of the people that will be playing M&P this game. It’s just a fun thing that sets the scene for the whole game. Past games have dealt with going to an amusement park (and getting murdered!) and going to a haunted house (and getting murdered!). The setting is basically anything the host feels like writing. After the introduction scene and after getting a few comments on it (it’s always nice to garner interest), the host posts the first murder scene. Everyone who’s playing (but the host and the person who just got killed off) discusses the murder and what he or she think the actual clues are — the host/murderer is allowed to put false clues in to trick everyone. There’s a deadline that the host will set for sending the votes in for whom you think the murderer is, and to send your votes in, you PM the host (or hosts if there’s more than one host). The votes are tallied and either another murder scene is written if someone gets killed off, a capture is written if the murderer gets voted off, or a safe scene is written if there’s a tie/no one gets voted off.

Just a few things to clarify that the summary up there didn't.
* If somebody is murdered or voted off, they have one last post on here, something of a "Goodbye, cruel world" type post, and then they can't post here anymore or comment on clues because they are dead. Non-players can't comment on clues either.
* Technically, you can discuss clues and stuff outside of this thread even if you're dead, since nobody, not even Jos or Doug or EchoMan, can really stop you. But it's not recommended since the suspense and intrigue are part of M&P's charm, and if everybody knows who everybody is, then it's not that fun anymore.
* If you want to be the murderer or the psychic, PM the host. It's pretty much first-come first-serve, though the immediate response to your PM will be something cookie-cutterish like "You will find out if you are the murderer/psychic a few days before the intro is posted." so there's less room for speculation on who gets it based on time they posted on the thread. (I hope that made sense. xD) But if you really want the position, PM early!
* Yes, the host can get voted off. But they still have to write the scene, so you can't truly get rid of them. How terrible, right? xD

I think that just about covers it. It's not actually as complicated as it looks. If anybody has any other questions, go ahead and post them here.

I'll be hosting this round (because I want to, lol). So people start signing up! I'd really like to see this follow through.

Here's a good example of the last round of M&P they had on that forum.

Edit1: clarified shorthand
Edit2: Added link
Last edited by Snickie on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alladinsane

Re: The Murderer and the Psychic

Postby Alladinsane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Okay, I have to be 'in' on this one. Now can I guess the next poster?

I have already been told that snickie will tell me 'nothing' and since she is a teenager...I know it to be true. This sounds fun if we can move it fast enough. I will sweeney todd all of you! or maybe not.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
freiana

Postby freiana » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Ooooh! I am in! Awesome! Can I be the psychic, pleeeaaase? =P
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 pm

freiana wrote:Ooooh! I am in! Awesome! Can I be the psychic, pleeeaaase? =P

Snickie wrote:
Snickie's friend Kelly wrote:What — The murderer kills one person off by round (can be either regular members or the psychic). The psychic tries to hint in the thread who the murderer is by pointing to clues that are hidden in the scenes that the host(s) writes. The trick is that the psychic needs to act like a regular member and arouse no suspicion so that the murderer doesn’t kill him/her off. Once the psychic is gone, s/he’s gone for good for this game. The regular members also try to figure out the clues though they have no indication of whether they’re guessing right or not — the psychic doesn’t necessarily need to guess right, s/he just needs to make logical connections.

* Technically, you can discuss clues and stuff outside of this thread even if you're dead, since nobody, not even Jos or Doug or EchoMan, can really stop you. But it's not recommended since the suspense and intrigue are part of M&P's charm, and if everybody knows who everybody is, then it's not that fun anymore.
* If you want to be the murderer or the psychic, PM the host. It's pretty much first-come first-serve, though the immediate response to your PM will be something cookie-cutterish like "You will find out if you are the murderer/psychic a few days before the intro is posted." so there's less room for speculation on who gets it based on time they posted on the thread. (I hope that made sense. xD) But if you really want the position, PM early!
Vega

Postby Vega » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:30 pm

In, I think... But I'm not really sure about how this goes... :oops:
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:19 am

@Vega:
1. Murderer murders someone.
2. Living people discuss and vote off (with helpful insight from the unknown psychic) who they think is the murderer.
3. If the person voted off is the murderer, then the game is over. If the person voted off is not the murderer, continue to step 4.
4. Rinse and repeat until either the murderer gets voted off or everybody else dies.

So far we have eight people including myself:
Snickie
Vega
Freiana
Alladinsane
Mathilde
Joo
Bmot
Rugila

Eight's an okay number. Ten or twelve is ideal, but we can have more or I guess as few as seven or eight. So you all should play. :D
Last edited by Snickie on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mathilde

Postby Mathilde » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:10 am

Snickie. I saw your post in GC, and I couldn't resist! This is one of my favourite games of internet (actually I despise most forum games, so maybe this makes it all the more special).

For a reference, it's really similar to the game, 'Mafia', or so I've heard.
joo

Postby joo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:28 am

I will join this game.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Count me in :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:51 pm

As of now I am officially accepting applications for the murderer and psychic positions. If you want to be either of those, please PM me and don't post it here.. We don't want everybody knowing the murderer on the first round, or else this would be a very short game. ;)
Rugila

Postby Rugila » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Seems complicated, but i'll try too! :P
Vega

Postby Vega » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:34 pm

The murderer is Mathilde. Her avatar is scaring me -.-

(Just kidding... But yes, it's scaring me -.-)
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 am

Applications for the murderer and the psychic will close 24 hours from now, and hopefully the introduction post will be up by Friday evening GMT-5.

In other advice, I suggest you all subscribe to this topic. :)
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 am

I'll play as well, if there is still time.
Stranger in a strange land.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:34 pm

A list of who all is playing, since I can't update my original post:
Snickie
Vega
Freiana
Alladinsane
Mathilde
Joo
Bmot
Rugila
Estaar

There is still time to sign up and apply to be the murderer/psychic.

Return to “Forum Games”